Why the Zay Hate?

Virgil

18 hours ago, Virgil said:

Can someone please tell me what Zay did, or didn’t do, yesterday to call for the hate?  I see people saying cut him immediately.  

I can’t remember a play with him where I thought he was the reason we sucked.  The guy isn’t even out there that much.  

Overall, he hasn’t lived up to his draft status and physical traits, but I don’t see how yesterday was the deal breaker.  

What am I missing?

The guys is a none factor , That’s the problem. He is the biggest wide out and doing the least amount of work ... honestly hasn’t done anything for us in his career 

I was more surprised Zay had this many detractors. He was getting killed yesterday on the postgame.

In my opinion, those interceptions are all on Allen. Only Bills fans want to deflect the blame, but if this misguided blame is what it takes to get rid of the bum. Go on, please blame Zay for two of Allen's horrendous throws. Zay was not the issue on those interceptions.

• Thank you (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Virgil said:

Can someone please tell me what Zay did, or didn’t do, yesterday to call for the hate?  I see people saying cut him immediately.  

I can’t remember a play with him where I thought he was the reason we sucked.  The guy isn’t even out there that much.  

Overall, he hasn’t lived up to his draft status and physical traits, but I don’t see how yesterday was the deal breaker.  

What am I missing?

Specifically one of the pics he could've contested the catch or even pushed the dude out on the sideline and dint seem to care at all. I've been a defender thinking, give him time to develop, but I've seen enough. I dont want him here, and I think a change of scenery might help his 'yips' catching the ball

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

10 targets, 2 catches. What is it you see good about him?

I mean the 5 yard overthrows and underthrows. What amount of thosw targets do you think were realistically catchable?

I don't like Zay as a player. I didn't like the pick, I'm biased against him. But he has gotten a lot of garbage throws in his direction the last 3 weeks.

Just now, BillsShredder83 said:

Specifically one of the pics he could've contested the catch or even pushed the dude out on the sideline and dint seem to care at all. I've been a defender thinking, give him time to develop, but I've seen enough. I dont want him here, and I think a change of scenery might help his 'yips' catching the ball

The throw wasn't intended for him, and it was more on Allen for deciding to make that horrible throw.

How can a QB loft a throw into a space of three DB's and the WR it wasn't even intended for gets the blame is beyond me.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The throw wasn't intended for him, and it was more on Allen for deciding to make that horrible throw.

How can a QB loft a throw into a space of three DB's and the WR it wasn't even intended for gets the blame is beyond me.

It's a matter of effort. Were not a team full of superstars, need to play as a unit and pick up slack where it can be picked up. Only as strong as our weakest link with that roster build. The DB was in the air, would've taken the smallest effort push to have him landing out of bounds. 

19 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I’ll answer.  Nothing.  Aside from training well in the offseason.  No situational awareness on the picks, looked like a tough but makeable catch in the end zone, otherwise no impact on the game.  To draw a baseball analogy, he’s a .250 hitter with no power and no speed.  It’s time to get some more speed on the field.  

perfect analogy

5 hours ago, phypon said:

I'm going for "dropped passes and can't catch a cold" for $1 Alex...answer....Zay Jones!

I’m  guessing you’ve never actually seen the show Jeopardy? 

20 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He is the worst player in the nfl at any position.  Prove me wrong. 

Hes not even the worst player on his team, at just the position WR

The proof is the line of guys behind him that can’t take his reps because the whole WR unit still isn’t good enough. 

gee that was tough 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m  guessing you’ve never actually seen the show Jeopardy? 

I guess I should have said, "Who is Zay Jones?".  Apparently, you don't know who he is.  I'll fill you in, he's the guy on the team that runs bad routes and does not have very good hands.  Sometimes coaching staffs stick with a guy too long.  I'll be surprised if he makes it through the full season.

3 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I was more surprised Zay had this many detractors. He was getting killed yesterday on the postgame.

In my opinion, those interceptions are all on Allen. Only Bills fans want to deflect the blame, but if this misguided blame is what it takes to get rid of the bum. Go on, please blame Zay for two of Allen's horrendous throws. Zay was not the issue on those interceptions.

Yes, the throws were bad. But also, the instant an interception is possible, the WR has to become a DB himself and make an effort break it up. They quoted James Lofton on WGR yesterday, that he always said that was part of his job as a WR, to bail out the QB when he makes the bad throws.  

Josh making a bad throw and Zay putting in zero effort to save the INT are not mutually exclusive. Even an offensive PI there is better than an INT. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Josh’s concussion was also Zays fault.  Same last name as Jonathan- it’s obvious 

1 hour ago, phypon said:

I guess I should have said, "Who is Zay Jones?".  Apparently, you don't know who he is.  I'll fill you in, he's the guy on the team that runs bad routes and does not have very good hands.  Sometimes coaching staffs stick with a guy too long.  I'll be surprised if he makes it through the full season.

All for an upgrade. I think people are way Misguided on where it’s going to be found. 

On 9/30/2019 at 8:33 AM, Virgil said:

What am I missing?

Watch the tape of the last couple of games the dude blows catches at times when the team needs him he's not a clutch player ! When it's crunch time he just doesn't produce . And the INT near the goal line he should have if nothing else fowled the dude so he didn't get the INT but didn't .

IIMHO if Duke would have been in there on that play near the end zone that almost hit him in the hands Duke would have positioned himself better & boxed out the defender to make the catch or would have fought off the INT . 

Sure the guy puts in the work, he's a great team guy but he's like the Tyrod Taylor of WR's he's a decent #3 WR but when you need him to step up when the game is on the line the dude just never seems to deliver . 

Look att he Dawson Knox over the defender catch, the John Brown 1 hander, you just don't see that from him & i don't think given the fact that he is in his 3rd yr we ever will !! Turn him into a ST player with a #4 WR status & bring Duke up he's a lot more hungry & has shown more & if given the chance to play & develop in the scheme i think can easily out play Zay !! Just saying ...

5 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I mean the 5 yard overthrows and underthrows. What amount of thosw targets do you think were realistically catchable?

I don't like Zay as a player. I didn't like the pick, I'm biased against him. But he has gotten a lot of garbage throws in his direction the last 3 weeks.

Yah but those ones that hit him in the hands & he don't get are the ball breakers !! 

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

10 targets, 2 catches. What is it you see good about him?

there isn't.     

seriously though .....  posting #'s w/o context is how things get AFU around here. Posting incorrect #'a doesn't help either.  

In Sundays game it was not 10 targets, 2 catches for Zay.  It was actually 8 targets. 

Of those 8 "targets" How many were throwaways? 

Has to be like 4? 

Leaving 4 in which 2 were catches and 2 were dropped. 

From worst to first    6th worst in Dropped Passes -  Buffalo Bills 5

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=232&type=Receiving

IF Zay drops 4 and 5 passes a game HOW is it that the team only has   5 dropped passes ????   

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

26 minutes ago, Pete said:
_-YRNyu5_bigger.jpg

Some players who went after Zay Jones in the 2017 draft: Alvin Kamara, Dalvin Cook, Ju-Ju Smith-Schuster, Joe Mixon, Cooper Kupp, Kareem Hunt, Chris Godwin.

Definitely a list of better picks. To the OP's question, why all the Zay hate? Shouldn't the hate be directed toward WHO drafted him? I mean, look at that list. Terrible pick compared to those guys, but Zay didn't draft himself. If Zay had a choice, I'm sure he would love to have been getting passes from Mahomes, Brees, Ben, Dalton, Winston or even Goff instead of Tyrod, Peterman and Josh. Gotta admit, that's a crappy list of QB's we had. Josh is young and developing, but he's not getting the job done with 6 picks, 3 tds and 5 fumbles(2 lost). That's a 2 turnover per game average and it could have been more. 

Edited by Dopey

On 9/30/2019 at 8:37 AM, FiftyPercent said:

He has no balls/awareness when it comes to fighting for the ball.  If he was more aware on the sideline INT he could have pulled the DB out of bounds before he got the second foot down, or at least tried to.  He looks like a 13 year old girl out there too many times.

Go watch some clips of Eric Moulds, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Zay actually contacted the Patriot and the ball as Zay was standing out of bounds. Before both feet of Patriot came down inbounds. Patriot player actually had no feet down yet when Zay contacted him. This by rule makes the Patriot player out of bounds and the call should have been an incompletion.

Zay failed by not jumping for the ball and just watching the guy jump up and catch it.

Zay failed by not throwing the guy out of bounds to make it clear he was out.

Refs failed by not seeing this was an out of bounds player.

Bills coaches failed by not knowing this.

Bills coaches failed by not pointing out to refs what they wanted challenged.

Replay officials failed by not overturning an obvious incompletion.

Former ref Gene Steratore came on air 10 min after and discussed how refs missed this call and replay missed it also.

there was enough fail in this play alone to make me wonder if a Dick Jauron game management spell has been cast on this org.

Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 1