Why the Zay Hate?

Virgil

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That's because he constantly runs routes like he's playing sandlot football. 

He may be 'open' but the QB has to find him, rather than automatically knowing where he'll be...

WTH?

12 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

But Zay never should have gotten himself tangled up and tripped.  ;)  :D 

The nerve.:thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FiftyPercent said:

He has no balls/awareness when it comes to fighting for the ball.  If he was more aware on the sideline INT he could have pulled the DB out of bounds before he got the second foot down, or at least tried to.  He looks like a 13 year old girl out there too many times.

Go watch some clips of Eric Moulds, you'll see what I'm talking about.

But wasn't he fighting for the ball, and actually had his hands on it as the DB was coming down?  According to the explanation on the broadcast it should have been ruled in incompletion.   I can't believe people are blaming that play on Jones moreso than Allen.

But no argument that Zay is a below par player and simply not good enough to be a starter.  As a second round pick he's been a big disappointment.

11 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think "should have prevented" is a little strong. Should have tried to prevent is more accurate. 

Agree.  Definitely not fair to say that Zay should have prevented either or even both INTs.  

However, the continued lack of awareness and lack of effort to make much of an attempt to prevent them is more the issue, and that criticism is fair like you said.

Like I said before, I just don’t think Zay has the mental toughness to be a quality and consistent player.  He lacks situational awareness, toughness, and fight.  

56 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I’m not a Zay apologist as I was really hoping Foster would step up and replace him this year.  But I feel like people are placing their anger towards Zay instead of Allen for this game 

I think the general consensus is that Allen cost us this game, but has shown enough to deserve more chances, whereas Zay in his third year now has shown zip.  Also, Allen has failed from almost trying to do to much, where Zay at times seems to not be making the effort (like coming back and contesting balls.)

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

What ya talking about Willis?

Jones had regained his stride and was running free at the ten.   He appears to panic and jump for the ball even though he didn't have to, making the catch attempt much more difficult than it had to be....     

I think the issue here is he thought it was a post but the toss goes to the back shoulder. His adjustment was pretty rough. Knox made that catch yesterday on that pass to the left sideline.

30 minutes ago, wettlaufer said:

I think the issue here is he thought it was a post but the toss goes to the back shoulder. His adjustment was pretty rough. Knox made that catch yesterday on that pass to the left sideline.

Most quality WRs have the agility and ball tracking skills to adjust to those kind of throws.    Many can do it even when blanketed by a defender. 

Jones seems to trip all over himself at times and not have much physical (or mental) agility...

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

Can someone please tell me what Zay did, or didn’t do, yesterday to call for the hate?  I see people saying cut him immediately.  

I can’t remember a play with him where I thought he was the reason we sucked.  The guy isn’t even out there that much.  

Overall, he hasn’t lived up to his draft status and physical traits, but I don’t see how yesterday was the deal breaker.  

What am I missing?

I’m just tired of watching him not make a play for his QB when they need it. We needed him to catch that low one or break up on of the ints.

5 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

Bills fans wanted him gone. Bills fans said he sucked. Bills fans said he wasn't worth a 2nd round pick. That's all they did was call shows and say he was a blocking receiver who adds no value to the receiving corps.

Holy revisionist history. Gugny used to say Woods was better than Watkins.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Zay sucks.

He never...

NEVER 

EVER

comes down with a difficult but catchable pass.

He failed to do it twice AGAIN yesterday!!!

Once in the End Zone.

Once on the low but catchable pass to him.

He was advertised as a sure-handed WR out of college.  He clearly isn't.

He's had 2+ seasons.

Time to move on.