Why the Zay Hate?

Virgil

1 minute ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

We're leaving Duke on the PS because of Foster.

From what I've seen of McDermott I bet he brings up Duke in the 2nd half of the season so that there is not a season worth of game tape on him when they'll need him in tough defensive games down the stretch.

51 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

LOL   Sorry the topic is just humorous.  Why, because he didn't catch enough balls!    

It seems he's "targeted" too frequently and he can't get within 5 feet of some passes. 

He was supposed to be a stud in college but failed miserably in year one.  

or Josh's passes don't get within 5 ft of Zay?

31 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

The drumbeat of "Gilmour sucks!" and "He's a bust!" and "He takes plays off" and "He can't tackle" and "He's the worst cornerback in the league" was deafening. 

This is part of Bills fan displacement syndrome. There's always a scapegoat, one player the fans focus on whom to unload all their frustrations. There's usually enough truth in their accusations to keep the pot boiling, but at least 75% of their bitching is displacement. 

The other players on the team should be glad that Zay is on the squad. The minute he is gone it will be someone else's turn in the barrel. 

Oh I was here (under a different account) and I saw it. 

I cheer on every player and hope they succeed in Buffalo.   I try not to make an assessment in short order.  Gilmore was / is good.  But something kept him from playing his best. Coaches maybe? 

Zay needs to do a lot to prove himself enough to remain on the team in 2020.     

I've said it for years ...   A "target" 3 to 5 feet away from a player is not a dropped pass. 

Just now, CuddyDark said:

Bills fans wanted him gone. Bills fans said he sucked. Bills fans said he wasn't worth a 2nd round pick. That's all they did was call shows and say he was a blocking receiver who adds no value to the receiving corps.

Bupkis.   

Oh, and this post in the same thread made me laugh: 

"Completely average starter. No more, no less. If he was on the Rams or the Jaguars, more than a few Bills fans wouldn't register who he was."

BTW, the fans who call into radio shows are NOT representative of the fan base, IMO.   And we'll leave it at that...

At some point, you have to wonder if Zay is as bad as so many of you hysterics say he is, why is he still out there every week for 75-80% of the offensive snaps? I mean, someone THAT terrible should be extremely easy to leapfrog on the depth chart, yes? Perhaps you all should start blaming the coaching staff a bit more.

9 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Look, the Bills did not lose the Patriots game because of Zay Jones. They lost it because of Josh Allen.

Having said that, it's true they are not getting much from Jones. Maybe they should bench him or give his snaps to somebody else. Everyone here seems to think Duke Williams would be much better. I'm okay with trying that, or with trying Roberts, or McKenzie or somebody else. I just don't expect a huge difference in results. 

Josh did contribute to the loss no doubt, still might have pulled it out, maybe, had he not been targeted for removal by the pats, but the topic at hand is Mr 38. % catch percentage man,  he can only run a route, does not work back to the QB, doesn’t present a good target for our QB, can’t bring in a contested catch, and won’t catch 60% plus of the passes thrown to him, what’s to like about Zay ???  He certainly is not a # 3 WR. Time to try someone else, the results will likely not be worse.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Can someone please tell me what Zay did, or didn’t do, yesterday to call for the hate?  I see people saying cut him immediately.  

I can’t remember a play with him where I thought he was the reason we sucked.  The guy isn’t even out there that much.  

Overall, he hasn’t lived up to his draft status and physical traits, but I don’t see how yesterday was the deal breaker.  

What am I missing?

There were two interceptions thrown to him where he showed zero initiative to fight the defender for the ball.  They were bad throws, but an NFL receiver is supposed to know to come back and fight or those balls 100% of the time.  Eric Wood was talking during the game about how Ryan Fitzpatrick would never throw to Zay again ater that yesterday.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

At some point, you have to wonder if Zay is as bad as so many of you hysterics say he is, why is he still out there every week for 75-80% of the offensive snaps? I mean, someone THAT terrible should be extremely easy to leapfrog on the depth chart, yes? Perhaps you all should start blaming the coaching staff a bit more.

I think they are blaming the staff.

23 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

We're leaving Duke on the PS because of Foster.

Only if you believe Zay should be ahead of Foster on the depth chart.    

17 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Zay has pictures, clearly.

9 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

There were two interceptions thrown to him where he showed zero initiative to fight the defender for the ball.  They were bad throws, but an NFL receiver is supposed to know to come back and fight or those balls 100% of the time.  Eric Wood was talking during the game about how Ryan Fitzpatrick would never throw to Zay again ater that yesterday.

And if Eric Wood notices this and speaks of it during the game, you know damn well every player on the Bills is thinking the same thing. Mr 38% catch percentage man has gotta be persona non grata on this team.

Go Bills!! 

Prob because he sucks at nfl football.   

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t hate the guy.  He belongs on a nfl roster.  But when you trade up for a guy in the 2nd and pass on JuJu and Cooper Kupp, it looks terrible to see how unproductive Zay is.  He has no elite skills.  He is a dime a dozen NFL receiver who was drafted by us because his college coach was on the Bills. 

Dont leave Godwin out ???

51 minutes ago, Dr Doom said:

How many games has he cost us compared to how many games he has made a difference? I remember the Carolina game two years ago still to this day. Yesterday is just another example.

Has he tried to jump through any windows yet this year?

That Carolina "miss" was the result of Zay and the LB dropping into coverage clipping each other's feet while Zay was making his cut. Even the LB stumbled after their feet clipped. Yet the narrative by some here was that Zay "stumbled over his own feet". False. Zay's left foot and the LBs right foot clipped each other on Zay's cut, at the 19 yd line. That threw the timing and route off. Still remember it?! I've seen many great WR miss a pass due to feet getting tangled with a defender. He made a great effort to catch the ball. Just out of his hands. Also, making fun of mental illness is not funny. What are you, 8 yrs old!? Everyone has a family member with some sort of mental illness, yours included.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Zay continues to prove game after game that he is mediocre at best.  Sure, some of his drops are tough catches, but he regularly drops balls whether they are tough catches or routine catches.  Good receivers make the tough catches.  He does not do that.  Completely unreliable.  A sure sign of a bad receiver is when people start praising the fact that Zay caught a routine pass.  That pretty much happens every time he does catch the ball... which is not often in the first place.

Should he be cut?  Maybe not now, but I wouldn't offer the dude a new contract.  I would look to replace him on the depth chart with someone better.

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

That Carolina "miss" was the result of Zay and the LB dropping into coverage clipping each other's feet while Zay was making his cut. Even the LB stumbled after their feet clipped. Yet the narrative by some here was that Zay "stumbled over his own feet". False. Zay's left foot and the LBs right foot clipped each other on Zay's cut, at the 19 yd line. That threw the timing and route off. Still remember it?! I've seen many great WR miss a pass due to feet getting tangled with a defender. He made a great effort to catch the ball. Just out of his hands. Also, making fun of mental illness is not funny. What are you, 8 yrs old!? Everyone has a family member with some sort of mental illness, yours included.

Just now, Lurker said:

What ya talking about Willis?

Jones had regained his stride and was running free at the ten.   He appears to panic and jump for the ball even though he didn't have to, making the catch attempt much more difficult than it had to be....