Why the Zay Hate?

Virgil

Just now, RyanC883 said:

apparently because Josh Allen is the more "favored child."  Due to this, Zay gets blamed for not catching the wildly inaccurate passes that Allen throws to him.  

I don’t understand why people keep bringing this up when other receivers can make tough catches from these “wildly inaccurate” passers. He just doesn’t seem to be able to fight through tough coverage.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr Doom said:

Is he better/worse than James Hardy? Serious question.

Much worse.    Hardy was a basketball player with limited time at WR who had good red zone jump ball skills.    Couldn't run routes, much like Zay, but he over achieved given his limited football background...

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t hate the guy.  He belongs on a nfl roster.  But when you trade up for a guy in the 2nd and pass on JuJu and Cooper Kupp, it looks terrible to see how unproductive Zay is.  He has no elite skills.  He is a dime a dozen NFL receiver who was drafted by us because his college coach was on the Bills. 

Does he really?

5 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

You're right, he has more speed than woods.

Dude stop it. Zay Jones isn’t in the same stratosphere as RWoods.  He just put up 1.2k yards last year. And they are truly night and day different players. Woods makes all tough contested catches over the middle. Runs all the routes. Catches the deep ball. Extremely good downfield blocker(look at all shady’s big runs from 15/16 who was leading the way) He was the perfect #2. 

Just now, Ta111 said:

I don’t understand why people keep bringing this up when other receivers can make tough catches from these “wildly inaccurate” passers. He just doesn’t seem to be able to fight through tough coverage.

who?  Cole Beasley missed a wildly inaccurate pass yesterday.  Brown has missed wildly inaccurate Allen passes as well.  The fact that Brown gets more targets gives him more opportunity to make the one "wow" catch he made all year.  

2 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

The drumbeat of "Gilmour sucks!" and "He's a bust!" and "He takes plays off" and "He can't tackle" and "He's the worst cornerback in the league" was deafening. 

This is part of Bills fan displacement syndrome. There's always a scapegoat, one player the fans focus on whom to unload all their frustrations. There's usually enough truth in their accusations to keep the pot boiling, but at least 75% of their bitching is displacement. 

The other players on the team should be glad that Zay is on the squad. The minute he is gone it will be someone else's turn in the barrel. 

God, it was so embarrassing.  Fans were still bitter because he didn’t smile when he got drafted (he never smiles).  They laugh at NE for giving him that money and he’s the best cb in the nfl.

theres a world where the Bills keep Gilmore, draft Mahomes and JuJu/ Kupp, without giving up picks to trade up. Oh well. 

• Like (+1) 1

Why do we hate Zay? Because he is being treated differently because he was drafted by McD. He is a terrible WR and if he was not drafted by McD he would not be playing. He makes almost no plays. Watkins made plays for this team but is shipped out. Zay has had chances to make plays and he fails routinely.  Same goes for Murphy. He is terrible and overpriced yet he gets more playing time than Lawson.  

For the record, I have no issue with the noncatch in the end zone. The ball was too high and he was hit from behind. Near impossible catch. The two interceptions he could have broken up are a different story. If you suck you can at least give maximum effort. He didn’t.

Just look at the one handed catch by Brown. That is the type of plays a NFL receiver needs to make from time to time.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I can’t bring myself to go back and watch the highlights yet. 

The high throw was really high and barely hit his fingertips if I recall. 

I also think he was in full stride on both INTs and coming back for the ball wasn’t really possible. But, I’ll look at it again....in about 20 years when the anger leaves me

I’d probably have to see those first hand again to be sure, but that’s what some of the talking heads are mentioning and it passed the eye test when I saw it in game.

I don’t know about the endzone throw. It may have been a great catch if he made it, but part of the flack with Zay is that he’s never made a great catch in key moments, even when given a chance to. 

As far as the deep shots, it seems like the DB also was running opposite the throw but tracked back, while Zay didn’t. Again, I’ll have to see the tape.

either way, Zay has been disappointing and others have shown more with the few opportunities, which begs the question why he gets so many. 

I don't hate Jones, but I feel in his third year he isn't stepping up much...I'd be ok with him as WR 4 or 5 when they get a WR 1 next year...Jones played 62 snaps had 8 targets and only caught 2 passes for 4 yards...would have liked to see more McKenzie in there - he only got 1 rep...need more Knox tho also - 54 snaps 3/3 58 yards

14 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

But being completely honest has Zay had a QB who throws like an NFL QB? The QBs he's played with make you make tough catches every play. Speed and angle and location are important.

BTW I should get off this because last time I stood up for Zay I got a ban.

John Brown and Cole Beasley do pretty well. I’m not gonna argue that QB play has been good, but there seems to be a disparity between him and the other WR’s on the field. 

I very much doubt you got banned for defending Zay. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Can someone please tell me what Zay did, or didn’t do, yesterday to call for the hate?  I see people saying cut him immediately.  

I can’t remember a play with him where I thought he was the reason we sucked.  The guy isn’t even out there that much.  

Overall, he hasn’t lived up to his draft status and physical traits, but I don’t see how yesterday was the deal breaker.  

What am I missing?

Are you kidding me? What are you missing? 

He was targeted eight times yesterday and caught two passes on top of that he dropped another game-winning pass on a fourth down in the end zone. 

He needs to be benched traded or released he's worthless and cannot catch anything and hasn't caught anything meaningful in 2 years

Just now, Ta111 said:

Yet Knox made a contested catch at the end of the first half and Smoke made one with Gilmore all over him. When was the last time Jones made a similar catch?

You don't even understand that's the issue. Everyone has to make all world catches.

9 minutes ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

Dude stop it. Zay Jones isn’t in the same stratosphere as RWoods.  He just put up 1.2k yards last year. And they are truly night and day different players. Woods makes all tough contested catches over the middle. Runs all the routes. Catches the deep ball. Extremely good downfield blocker(look at all shady’s big runs from 15/16 who was leading the way) He was the perfect #2. 

And the fans here hated him.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

John Brown and Cole Beasley do pretty well. I’m not gonna argue that QB play has been good, but there seems to be a disparity between him and the other WR’s on the field. 

I very much doubt you got banned for defending Zay. 

I got banned for this chain...