Why the Zay Hate?

Virgil

Can someone please tell me what Zay did, or didn’t do, yesterday to call for the hate?  I see people saying cut him immediately.  

I can’t remember a play with him where I thought he was the reason we sucked.  The guy isn’t even out there that much.  

Overall, he hasn’t lived up to his draft status and physical traits, but I don’t see how yesterday was the deal breaker.  

What am I missing?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He has no balls/awareness when it comes to fighting for the ball.  If he was more aware on the sideline INT he could have pulled the DB out of bounds before he got the second foot down, or at least tried to.  He looks like a 13 year old girl out there too many times.

Go watch some clips of Eric Moulds, you'll see what I'm talking about.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t hate the guy.  He belongs on a nfl roster.  But when you trade up for a guy in the 2nd and pass on JuJu and Cooper Kupp, it looks terrible to see how unproductive Zay is.  He has no elite skills.  He is a dime a dozen NFL receiver who was drafted by us because his college coach was on the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 20

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Can someone please tell me what Zay did, or didn’t do, yesterday to call for the hate?  I see people saying cut him immediately.  

I can’t remember a play with him where I thought he was the reason we sucked.  The guy isn’t even out there that much.  

Overall, he hasn’t lived up to his draft status and physical traits, but I don’t see how yesterday was the deal breaker.  

What am I missing?

how about him going I. Full Benjamin mode and Loafing. 

now my question what has he done well?

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

Two of Allen’s three interceptions were thrown Zays way. While neither of them were his fault, he made no attempt to attack the ball or make a play on it. He watched as the DB broke for the ball. It’s just additional evidence of his inability to adjust for the ball/make a play on it. 

He also high pointed the endzone throw from Barkley, got two hands on it and it didn’t bring it in.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

What am I missing?

Come on Virgil, you have been here for years and know how things go here TBD; we lost a game and its "fire everybody!"  Zay Jones this week who knows next week!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Bills fans always pick on guy to target their anger and it's Zay for now. If I'm Zay I play the season out and get to a team with a pocket QB like Robert Woods and become a very good number 2 receiver.

You’re not wrong about people targeting someone with anger. That being said, Zay has had some issues throughout his career.

to your comparison, possession receivers catch the football. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Bills fans always pick on guy to target their anger and it's Zay for now. If I'm Zay I play the season out and get to a team with a pocket QB like Robert Woods and become a very good number 2 receiver.

If you are Zay should learn how to catch first 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Two of Allen’s three interceptions were thrown Zays way. While neither of them were his fault, he made no attempt to attack the ball or make a play on it. He watched as the DB broke for the ball. It’s just additional evidence of his inability to adjust for the ball/make a play on it. 

He also high pointed the endzone throw from Barkley, got two hands on it and it didn’t bring it in.

I can’t bring myself to go back and watch the highlights yet. 

The high throw was really high and barely hit his fingertips if I recall. 

I also think he was in full stride on both INTs and coming back for the ball wasn’t really possible. But, I’ll look at it again....in about 20 years when the anger leaves me

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

What am I missing?

LOL   Sorry the topic is just humorous.  Why, because he didn't catch enough balls!    

It seems he's "targeted" too frequently and he can't get within 5 feet of some passes. 

He was supposed to be a stud in college but failed miserably in year one.  

Zay Jones just doesn't make plays.  Too many drops, and yesterday highlighted his lack of situational awareness when he failed to turn DB to disrupt two interceptions.  He didn't even jump to try to catch Josh's ball on the sideline.  We cut the sure-handed Reilly last year, and this year we're leaving The Duke on the PS because of Zay.    

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

how about him going I. Full Benjamin mode and Loafing. 

now my question what has he done well?

I’ll answer.  Nothing.  Aside from training well in the offseason.  No situational awareness on the picks, looked like a tough but makeable catch in the end zone, otherwise no impact on the game.  To draw a baseball analogy, he’s a .250 hitter with no power and no speed.  It’s time to get some more speed on the field.  

Yesterday was simply a continuation of subpar play from your nominal #2 WR. 

At a certain point you need to take stock at the accumulation of bad plays and ask if he's actually a net negative for the offense.  If the answer to that question isn't "Yes" yet, it's pretty close.

• Like (+1) 1