Tom Brady looks and sounds “checked out” to me

YoloinOhio

I won't bet against Tom Brady until I see it. Does he look more like a game manager this season? Yes. But that doesn't mean that come playoff time he isn't going to turn it on and turn the Pats into a machine. I hope this doesn't happen of course. But I have seen many predictions of Brady's decline and nothing happened. So until I see Pats and the Brady lose in a big game I don't write them off at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I won't bet against Tom Brady until I see it. Does he look more like a game manager this season? Yes. But that doesn't mean that come playoff time he isn't going to turn it on and turn the Pats into a machine. I hope this doesn't happen of course. But I have seen many predictions of Brady's decline and nothing happened. So until I see Pats and the Brady lose in a big game I don't write them off at all. 

Once again, I never wrote them off. That doesn’t mean that HE is not in decline. 

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Pats will be a tough out in the playoffs because of their defense. I know it seems like forever waiting for Brady to decline but I think "father time" has finally caught up to him. His play hasn't fallen as badly as Peyton's did the last two years of his career but it has declined. At 42 he isn't going to get better.

3 minutes ago, Greg S said:

The Pats will be a tough out in the playoffs because of their defense. I know it seems like forever waiting for Brady to decline but I think "father time" has finally caught up to him. His play hasn't fallen as badly as Peyton's did the last two years of his career but it has declined. At 42 he isn't going to get better.

Avocado ice cream is a hell of a drug

39 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

The one who has me confused is Edelman. He’s dropping passes like never before. 

I agree.  It seems like every time I watch them he drops another one or two.   They aren't always easy catches, but they are the catches he always seems to make.  Not this season.

As for Brady, I've thought for a month or two now that he'll hang em up after this season.  I think you can see it in his body language.   He really doesn't like the grind any more, just as he said, and when doing what those guys do becomes only a job, that's when they need to quit.   

Brady declining isnt enough for me. I want the entire patriots organization to start declining. I need belichick's coaching to start to fail, i want lucky bounces to stop going their way. I want them to start losing more then they win. I want their fans to stop showing up, because their team is boring and incompetitent.

I referenced this about Brady after the Eagles game and I based most of it on one concept. Not evaluating how good he is currently or how long he can play above average football. Just evaluating the psychological challenges age can have on a player like him. He's one of the most competitive players in NFL history. Not only from a standpoint of winning and losing but from the standpoint of evaluating his own performance. He has be talking for years about how long he can play. I don't think he really got his head around the concept that his body could just start failing him. So in a situation where he might have played poorly in the past he would usually show the poor body language, dust himself off, and whoever played him the following week good luck. What I think he's finding now is he keeps dusting himself off and nothing is happening. He keeps hitting a wall against what his expectations of himself are. He will come to the realization very soon that he will never be the player he was. Given who he is as a competitor, I just don't think he can survive long in that environment. He is too critical with himself and the psychological tole will eventually do him in. This is his last season in my opinion.    

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I referenced this about Brady after the Eagles game and I based most of it on one concept. Not evaluating how good he currently is or how long he play above average football. Just evaluating the psychological challenges age can have for a player like him. He's one of the most competitive players in NFL history. Not only from a standpoint of winning and losing, but from the standpoint of evaluating his own performance. He has be talking for years about how long he can play. I don't think he really got his head fully around the concept that his body could just start failing him. So in a situation where he might have played poorly in the past, he would usually show the poor body language. Dust himself off and whoever played them the following week good luck. What I think he's finding now is he keeps dusting himself off and nothing is happening. He keeps hitting a wall against what his expectations of himself are. He will come to the realization very soon that he will never be the player he was. Given who he is as a competitor, I just don't think he can survive long in that environment. He is too critical with himself and the psychological tole will eventually do him in. This is his last season. Calling the shot now.      

I like this post and the reasoning that’s worked out, but I see things differently. I think I’m in the minority now that thinks he looks the same as ever. To me, the bigger change has been that he isn’t getting the protection he used to get. He used to stand flat footed in the red zone for 10+ seconds and eventually hit a receiver on the backline of the end zone. This season he finally has to play behind an offensive line that resembles what other QBs play with. He always has avoided contact like crazy, but now we just see him do it at a higher frequency because he actually gets pressured.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

Peyton was still good up until his last year when he looked completely shot. I just assume Brady will suddenly turn it on during the playoffs until I see otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Peyton was still good up until his last year when he looked completely shot. I just assume Brady will suddenly turn it on during the playoffs until I see otherwise. 

Yeah I feel the same way. The regular season there’s not much for him to accomplish or prove other than playoff seeding which they will easily be in consideration for a home game. As much as he looks like trash to me, I thought he looked that way last year too. I fully expect him to show up when the games count more. Even the Baltimore game it didn’t even look like New England cared they got trounced