QB A vs QB B

On 9/30/2019 at 10:30 AM, Stank_Nasty said:

So we realize the Pats secondary is elite and got the best of Allen. Here's a big question for me...… there were a handful(not many, but a couple) of plays where he had a TON of time in the pocket and didn't pull the trigger. I have to wonder if everyone was blanketed or if he just didn't see what he needed to see. I really wanna see him nail some chunk throws in that those situations going forward against lessor secondary's.... the fan in me is hoping it was just the pats defense covering THAT good.

On the broadcast Fouts showed replays of a couple of those plays and our receivers looked to be blanketed.  Where Allen missed "open" receivers appeared to be on the quick throws where he opted for the deeper passes.  On the plays where he moved around NO ONE seemed to get open - which is its own problem.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/30/2019 at 1:36 PM, OrediggerPoke said:

Honestly, I am starting to sour on a lot of the Buffalo fans with the constant Allen negativity on here.  The dude is a competitor.  He is going to make mistakes.  He is going to have his struggles.  But I don't give a *****, ask me the one QB in the NFL that I want in the 4th quarter to lead my team back and I am taking Josh Allen.  Bills beat the Patriots if Josh Allen is on the field at the end of the game.  Plain and Simple.

I'm starting to get there to OrediggerPoke.  It's like they're just waiting for Allen to screw up so they can say "I told you so".  Do these people not realize that if Allen is in fact a bust the Bills are set back by 3 - 5 years? 

To be clear I'm not saying people should view everything Allen does through rose colored glasses.  Criticism is clearly warranted on some parts of his game.  But folks have to maintain perspective when talking about a young QB who has about one season worth of games under his belt.

I do know this if the Bills give up on Allen to soon, and IMO that means less then 3 seasons, we're looking at a San Diego/Brees situation.  Luckily for us I think the Bills brain-trust is way to smart for this. 

Edited by CincyBillsFan

On 10/1/2019 at 2:16 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Peyton joined a 1-15 team.  Allen joined a team coming off a playoff berth that had the 2nd best defense in the nfl.  There were also completely different rules when Manning was a rookie. Not exactly apples to apples.

Sure none of these are perfect apples to apples comparisons but:

*  Buffalo was a playoff team in name only in 2017.  Backing in on a miracle win by Cincy and then laying an offensive egg the size of the rock of Gibraltar the next week at Jacksonville was hardly an endorsement of that teams skill.

*  In fact I suspect that the offensive talent around Allen last year was every bit as bad as the offensive talent around Manning in his 1st year.  We were not a 1 - 15 team because of our defense. 

On 10/1/2019 at 3:01 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’d rather have less 4th quarter comebacks and games that are blowouts. ?

So would I.  But the 4th quarter comebacks tell you something good about a young QB like Allen.

On 10/1/2019 at 3:27 PM, jrober38 said:

Woods and Goodwin were rookies. TJ Graham was actually our #3 receiver when EJ was a rookie. Scott Chandler was our leading receiver his rookie year. 

Watkins came in Manuel's 2nd season. 

But it's fair to say that Chandler was way better then Clay was last year.

On 10/1/2019 at 3:55 PM, Dablitzkrieg said:

Will you nitwits stop comparing Josh Allen to every ***** former QB of the Bills?  Jesus Christ you guys are so out of control.  Take some Midol

Damn!  And here I was just about to post how Allen reminds me of Jack Kemp!  

On 9/30/2019 at 8:58 AM, ******* said:

Quarterback A: 248-451, 2,977 yards, 6.6 yards per attempt, 13 touchdowns, 18 interceptions, 13 fumbles, 8-7 record.

Quarterback B: 256-437, 2,810 yards, 6.4 yards per attempt 16 touchdowns, 12 interceptions, 7 fumbles, 6-8 record

guess who 

Who has bigger hands?

On 10/3/2019 at 5:29 PM, Gugny said:

Is it just me, or do those look like the legs of a man?

I think it depends on what you are imagining.  Whatever your mind is focused on is what you see. 

On 9/30/2019 at 6:26 AM, Dan Darragh said:

I said on another thread that Allen is beginning to look like EJ 2.0.  I wish I was wrong.

You are wrong.

Allen has been trending in the right direction ever since coming back from injury and finishing the final six games of the season last year. He had one terrible game last week against a historically great defense. One game does not make a season or a career. 

When did EJ Manuel ever improve? Ever show promise? I could be wrong but I don't think there was any point EJ's career where we could break down his starts in splits and see improvement from his first 6 games to his last 8. We can with Allen.  

And none of this even considers what they bring with their athleticism. EJ was not an athlete like Allen is. If Allen did not have his athleticism and those talents that he brings to the game he would not be as good of a QB. But he does so that is a moot point.

On 9/30/2019 at 6:42 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

My only counter to that would be is Allen benefits from one of the best defenses in the nfl.  Allen would have much worse W/L if Arizona drafted him.  Allen gets more chances to “win” games because the D is awesome (?).  

There is some truth to that but heck Russell Wilson was already on a hall of fame trajectory before he became a legitimate franchise QB with the defenses he had in Seattle which were even better than the one here in Buffalo. There is no rule that says he can't win now, gain experience and become the legitimate franchise QB we want in the future down the road. 

On 10/3/2019 at 10:57 AM, Mango said:

This made me laugh out loud. 

Point is, the original pre-draft right up, really is not all that different than JA, and both tested very similarly at the combine. Their strengths and weaknesses are pretty similar. 

The biggest difference is Josh Allen far exceeded everyone's expectations as an athlete on the field. Even Beane and McDermott probably didn't realize he was THIS GOOD running with the ball. On the other hand, EJ was underwhelming as a runner and did not meet expectations. 

As others have mentioned, EJ may have had slower eyes than Allen too. Something Allen still needs to work on himself. The only thing EJ has Allen beat on is EJ won't throw a ton of picks trying to play hero ball, but that also means EJ is very unlikely to end a game in the hero roll. Where as Allen has already played that roll several times in his young career.