Clements' 2001 Brady and 2019 Josh Allen Hit

BigBuff423

Some of us are old enough to remember the 2001 absolute destruction Nate Clements leveled on Tom Brady in the Buffalo Bills home game and others have seen it posted ad nauseum this week on YouTube, Twitter, etc. And while much of the criticism surrounding the hit yesterday was either about how dirty the hit was and how it if it was Brady then it would have had a different result OR how Josh can't keep taking the beating and needs to be smarter about how he handles himself in the game. 

Both are valid and I won't argue the merits of those as it's done in multiple other places on this board. But, what I did want to take a moment to think about is the possibility that Josh Allen does with this hit what Brady did with Clements' hit in 2001: learn from it. Brady was running down the sidelines and trying to make a play in a game where New England led 6-3 in the 3rd Quarter with over 9 minutes left. Josh Allen's hit came just after starting the 4th Quarter. Josh was trying to convert a 3rd and 8 and Brady a 3rd and 17. There are parallels here but the one I hope happens is after this Brady got the message: get the ball out fast one way or the other and take it to the next play. Brady was not great his first few years, he relied on a great Defense and a solid running game. Sound familiar?

Brady had to learn to trust the other parts around him and survive to fight another play. Josh is supremely more gifted than Brady in terms of athleticism and arm strength, but Josh needs to remember his greatest strength comes between his ears no matter how far he can throw the ball. How many times did Brady throw it away yesterday? He had a bad day for any QB but especially for Brady but they still won. Josh, that's the point. You don't need to be great or perfect, but you do NEED to be smart and actually IN the game in order to make a difference. From yesterday as a result of his play the Bills got the first down, but they lost the game. THAT, right there, is the point. You play to win the war (game) not the battle (play). I'm hoping this terrible and atrociously dirty hit on Josh (unlike Nate when it was legal) turns his head and he now understands why the emphasis is on getting rid of the ball on time, staying in the pocket, learning to take a loss of down vs. a total loss like an unnecessary hit or sack or throwing off your back foot for an INT. He MUST learn this now if he or the Bills have any chance at success this year or in the coming years. Hopefully the parallels don't stop just with avoiding hits, but translate to wins and production.

Brady changed after that hit - unfortunately for the better - and I'm hoping Allen does as well. He's a terrific kid, perfect fit for Buffalo, but if he doesn't heed caution - it will all be for naught. GoBills!

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Fans celebrate that hit on Brady and think the hit on Allen was the dirtiest thing ever.

That wasn’t the point of the post. I hope he does learn because Brady has a year or two left and I rather the Bills challenge us for the east and not the Jets or Phins.. I would love it if the Bills and Pats became the Steelers and Ravens of the AFCE.

but Allen has to learn to preserve himself and to learn from the lessons Cam Newton should teach all big strong athletic QBs.. your not Superman and you will get hurt if you don’t play smart.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

That wasn’t the point of the post. I hope he does learn because Brady has a year or two left and I rather the Bills challenge us for the east and not the Jets or Phins.. I would love it if the Bills and Pats became the Steelers and Ravens of the AFCE.

but Allen has to learn to preserve himself and to learn from the lessons Cam Newton should teach all big strong athletic QBs.. your not Superman and you will get hurt if you don’t play smart.

I agree with you.   It’s great he can run around but should he needs to beat opponents with his arm.   

43 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

All that stuff goes out the window in the 2nd half of a tight game on 3rd and 10.  You see where you need to get and you think you can just... will yourself there.  Maybe this will change that mentality, but its just football man...

10 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I agree with you.   It’s great he can run around but should he needs to beat opponents with his arm.   

He needs to find the timing and accuracy on his deep ball.  It opens up backshoulder plays in man coverage... forces them to play more zone etc.