Did Jonathan Jones purposely take out Josh Allen?

6 minutes ago, 50yrpatsfan said:

Allen could have gone down to the ground and avoided Jones completely, but then he wouldn't have reached the 1st down yardage. He chose to take on Jones, and lowering his helmet like he did was an aggressive act to run over and through Jones to get the 1st down.

Doesn't change in the slightest the illegality of the hit.  If he gives himself up in a slide, it's true that the defense is supposed to try to avoid any contact, and it's also true that a QB loses special protection when he becomes a runner outside the pocket, but the hit was illegal whether he's a QB, or a  running back or a big ol' lumbering offensive lineman who picked up a fumble and started running.  You might try going to a Pats board if you want to feel like your argument has any merit.

12 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Doesn't change in the slightest the illegality of the hit.  If he gives himself up in a slide, it's true that the defense is supposed to try to avoid any contact, and it's also true that a QB loses special protection when he becomes a runner outside the pocket, but the hit was illegal whether he's a QB, or a  running back or a big ol' lumbering offensive lineman who picked up a fumble and started running.  You might try going to a Pats board if you want to feel like your argument has any merit.

don't throw away any limited football knowledge just to defend his stupid decision to stand straight up and take on the licks of 2 DBs waiting to deliver a knockout blow

12 minutes ago, 50yrpatsfan said:

watch the video again and you'll see that the other tackler hadn't yet started pulling him down, Allen was still in control of his own momentum and turned slightly left to take on Jones

And did you hear Dan Fouts say "he didn't have to do that"?  You can't justify that hit no matter how hard you try

47 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Allen was not using his head as a weapon.  It appears from every angle that Jones is.

How dare you ruin our conspiracy theory.

Allen clearly wasn’t using his head, he should have slid. He is going to have realize this isn’t Wyoming any more. He never faced competition like the NFL, no warm up against the likes of Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson. Running free downfield in the Mountain West is quite different than the big league. His situation reminds me of Mike Williams. At Texas, Williams was so much bigger than everyone he could just push everyone around. When he got to the NFL he found guys who were smaller still but 3 times as mean. It is the amount of fight in the dog. Josh has plenty but so do the other guys. 

Everyone readily admits Allen was fighting for the first down , and that being the case he should expect contact. Penalty? Yes. Flagrant? No way. And for everyone wanting to bootstrap this onto the Burfict hit, get over it. That receiver was defenseless and on his knees when he got speared. Tell Josh to watch tapes of Brady. Marcia doesn’t run his old body into traffic and he throws it away as soon as he sees trouble. Everyone said Josh was a project and still is. He should have sat last year as a red shirt. He hasn’t learned some of the fundamentals that keep you in the league for a long time. At the rate he is going I am not sure he ever will. 

Just now, row_33 said:

every morning a DB wakes up with the prayer that he gets to put a hit like this on a QB or skill player

Allen sure made it easy for him

Jones is 180 lbs soaking wet, not a physical player. I don't think he really knew what to do with a 6'5 235lb beast like Allen coming at him hell bent on getting a 1st down. He looked a little tentative and confused about how to bring him down. Next time he'll go low for sure, cause he took a serious blow to the side of his head and I don't know how he wasn't injured too.

16 minutes ago, 50yrpatsfan said:

watch the video again and you'll see that the other tackler hadn't yet started pulling him down, Allen was still in control of his own momentum and turned slightly left to take on Jones

Jones launched himself at Allen's head, period; the rest is your dithering fantasy. Jones then stood there pounding his chest and celebrating over an injured player; f'ing revolting.

I've lived in Boston for 34 years, and I know the timbre of Pats fans very well. Had Brady received the same hit with no ejection, you'd be absolutely losing your s*** right now ... But here's a problem you should consider: if the players feels that the refs and league will not protect their QB, then this may lead to retaliation against the other team's QB, as in baseball beanings. And frankly it might be hard to discourage in the case of Bills-Pats, because the Pats have gotten away with some really dirty play against the Bills in recent years (a *one-game* suspension for Gronk's elbow drop on Tre White's neck? Seriously??). Do you want a similar dirty hit, potentially career-ending, against your 42-year old QB? I'm not condoning it, but it is going to happen. So stop excusing dirty play; it's going to end badly. 

Edited by Stranded in Boston

1 minute ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Jones launched himself at Allen's head, period; the rest is your dithering fantasy. Jones then stood there pounding his chest and celebrating over an injured player; f'ing revolting.

I've lived in Boston for 34 years, and I know the timbre of Pats fans very well. Had Brady received the same hit with no ejection, you'd be absolutely losing your s*** right now ... But here's a problem you should consider: if the players feels that the refs and league will not protect their QB, then this may lead to retaliateionagainst the other team's QB, as in baseball beanings. And frankly it might be hard to discourage in the case of Bills-Pats, because the Pats have gotten away with some really dirty play against the Bills in recent years (a *one-game* suspension for Gronk's elbow drop on Tre White's neck? Seriously??). Do you want a similar dirty hit, potentially career-ending, against your 42-year old QB? I'm not condoning it, but it is going to happen. So stop excusing dirty play; it's going to end badly. 

watch the video at the point of contact. It's the crown of Allen's helmet striking the side of Jones'. Clear as day.

35 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

He did what any defender is taught to do. If you have a chance to take a free shot at a QB you do it. 

Lets not not act like the Bills defense wouldn’t do that to Brady or any other QB. 

I agree entirely. We are what we are and the only way to build a world class organization is to take the world as it is.

Hiring serial murderers, selling out to communist China, running sex slave operations, pretty much ruining everything just to get rich and fat, roll over and die, is all that matters.

Analytics? Sure. Let's find out that for whatever reason, two plays in after the opposing guard takes a drink of water they run a shallow zone coverage. I don't need it. In college, I learned how football really works when my team mate broke my leg on a formation drill. They taught me, now I teach you.

If you are forever poor and die in the gutter because I purposefully turned the world into a fight to the death on a giant garbage dump floating on a sewer for an extra 0.001% ROI, well then, results are all that matter.

Edited by Guest

36 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

No it doesn't.  Jonathan Jones did not need to make contact with Allen.  The angle looking at Allen shows just how much time and room Jones had to avoid a collision.

Jones' cheap shot was on purpose and at the least wanted to send a message to Josh, but was more likely to try and hurt him.

If our own defender pulled up there completely avoiding contact and the QBs got the first there would be 8 different multi page threads about cutting him. 

Edited by NoSaint

20 minutes ago, 50yrpatsfan said:

Allen could have gone down to the ground and avoided Jones completely, but then he wouldn't have reached the 1st down yardage. He chose to take on Jones, and lowering his helmet like he did was an aggressive act to run over and through Jones to get the 1st down.

This is like that dress that was two different colors. 

1 minute ago, 50yrpatsfan said:

watch the video at the point of contact. It's the crown of Allen's helmet striking the side of Jones'. Clear as day.

Jones lead with his helmet, in a hit he didn't have to make!!!  What don't you get about that?  If this happened to Brady, you all (and the refs and NFL office) would be losing your collective s**t.

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

If our own defender pulled up there completely avoiding contact and the QBs got the first there would be 8 different multi page threads about cutting him. 

So Jones' hit is now justified in your eyes?  That's wonderful, man.

Just now, 50yrpatsfan said:

Total fantasy. There is a still picture showing Allen's image clear (i.e., stationary) just at the point of contact, with Jones' blurred imaged entering from the side. This is simple physics, dude. Jones' image is blurred because he is in motion, launching himself into the side of Allen's helmet. Jones then stood over an injured player celebrating like a moron while other players are frantically waving for a trainer; that alone should have merited an ejection. But like I said, let's hear your opinion when this happens to #12 ... It's coming. 

5 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Jones lead with his helmet, in a hit he didn't have to make!!!  What don't you get about that?  If this happened to Brady, you all (and the refs and NFL office) would be losing your collective s**t.

So Jones' hit is now justified in your eyes?  That's wonderful, man.

Yea, I totally said that ?

He was supposed to hit the QB there. The collision went poorly. 

Edited by NoSaint

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

George Wilson did that on that highlight from 2011.

Think about the agents!

Every player may have different teams, yet they have the same agent.

The star makes the team money. You are here to make us money. People who cost us money just aren't here.

Take two parts 1996 Jordan, how he got all those calls and never drew a foul. Add in one part Summer of '94 OJ, and that's the NFL today.

6 minutes ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Total fantasy. There is a still picture showing Allen's image clear (i.e., stationary) just at the point of contact, with Jones' blurred imaged entering from the side. This is simple physics, dude. Jones' image is blurred because he is in motion, launching himself into the side of Allen's helmet. Jones then stood over an injured player celebrating like a moron while other players are frantically waving for a trainer; that alone should have merited an ejection. But like I said, let's hear your opinion when this happens to #12 ... It's coming. 

it's this video, about 3 seconds in. Tell me how Allen isn't completely responsible for this collision.

4 minutes ago, 50yrpatsfan said:

it's this video, about 3 seconds in. Tell me how Allen isn't completely responsible for this collision.

Dude, you are cherry picking the ONE camera angle that is parallel to Jones' trajectory, making it impossible to judge his velocity. Again, simple physics. All other camera angles show Jones in motion, launching himself. But I am wasting my time with you. Go back to your "50 years" of Pats fandom, LOL. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 50yrpatsfan said:

At this point your are so corrupt, I don't care.

You are defending the braining of a 23 year old, thinking you are lord of the manor.

Hiring a serial murderer?

I would worry more about that.

Like you cheer on the ruining of everything, just to up the pressure and push with everything in life. Next, I'm going to need an analytics crew just to keep from buying poison disguised as something wholesome.

I know it doesn't look like it, but it's really organized crime. Every time the rules are pressed just for selfish reasons and people are lured by greed instead of walking away.

If they do it to us, well, I'll just do it to them.

Actually, pretty easy to do!

And no, money or power won't protect you.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

:)

2 hours ago, 50yrpatsfan said:

Pats fan here. When I saw it on live TV and on replays, I thought the hit was questionable. But I think this angle from the opposite side will change your minds completely:

https://t.co/0rc5YkIDs1

Allen actually is the one who turns toward Jones and lowers his head. It's surprising that Allen was the one injured and not Jones. There shouldn't even have been a penalty, let alone an ejection. 

Jones gives away 50 lbs to Allen. Allen didn't slide and was truly a RB at that point. It was 3rd down, and Allen was going to fall forward for a 1st down if Jones didn't engage him. The other tackler Harmon hadn't really started to bring him down at the moment Allen & Jones collided.

Nobody wanted to see the QB hurt, but Jones did nothing wrong here.

So let me see if I get this right.

You woke up this morning and while having your cup of coffee you decided to find a Buffalo Bills message board and create an account

to give us your bits of wisdom.

What did you think you would accomplish?  Bills fans would hear your unique perspective and change their minds?

I don't buy a bit of it.  I'm sure you cheered while Allen was laying on the field.  I think you are only here to rub salt in the wound.

• Like (+1) 1