Have You Started To Lose Faith in Josh Allen?

8 minutes ago, SoTier said:

"Raw but super talented" = "project".  It's a kid who has lots of athletic talent -- with QBs that's especially a big arm -- but lacks the kind of skillset that makes him likely to succeed in the NFL.   How does that not describe Josh Allen?   Allen has a great arm, but poor mechanics and worse decision making partly because he never had good coaching until this season and partly because he's had success relying on his talent alone.  In the NFL, talent alone just doesn't cut it.  It's what between the ears that counts as much as talent.

IMO, Allen shouldn't have been taken in the first round much less the top ten because there's too much to "fix" in his game to bring it up to the level of a competent NFL QB (ie, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Kirk Cousins, etc).

Wait, you'd trade Allen for any of those 3?

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

So you are happy with this level of QB play? Even coach McD has concerns and says he needs to be better. I can bet there will be QB coaches fired and maybe OC fired if Allen does not show a ton more progress. It is not good enough...

Ahhh, there you have it. Because I am not concerned,  it means I don't believe he needs to improve. The pot calling the kettle black.

Let me make my stance very clear for you: I like Josh Allen and I like the way he plays. I believe he will be the franchise QB for this team. He has a lot of room for improvement and he absolutely needs to better understand when he needs to reign in his gunslinger mentality. But the truth is - that is who he is - and for every bad play he makes because of that mentality, I can show you five good to great plays he made because of that mentality.

Was yesterday a bad day? Yes it was. Was I happy with how he played in the first half? Absolutely not. Do I think, inspite of how poorly he played, that he might have led the team to a win anyway, had he not gotten hurt? Yes. He is an immense talent and a gamer. He will learn and get better.

In the meantime, I'm not going to have a catastrophic meltdown, or throw a childish tantrum every time he has a bad game or makes a mistake.

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Since QB rating is the only stat that you seem to look at let me find a few for you that Allen is doing well at...

4th in rating in the 4th quarter

7th on 3rd down completions for first downs

3rd in first downs per attempt on 3rd and long

13th in first downs per attempt on 3rd and medium

12th on first downs per attempt on 3rd and short

10th in completion % in the 4th quarter

12th in completion % inside the opponents 20 yard line

10th in rating inside the opponents 20 yard line

15th in rating inside the opponents 10 yard line

13th in rating in 4wr sets

10th in passing % in late and close games

Those are all good passing stats.  But yeah, he is the worst passer in the league because rating and you said so.

Finally some numbers. 

Thanks.

Do you have a link? I didn't know any of these were readily available stats. 

4 minutes ago, billsy'est said:

@jrober38 should be banned straight up, and this dates back to the BBMB.

Let's break this down.

• In a (give or take) 200-page thread on the BBMB, where @jrober38 opined that Jay Cutler was better than any of the Bills' QBs and that they should trade a bunch of picks to bring Cutler into the fold.
  • In a multiple-dozen thread, or three, about trading all of the Bills' picks for Jameis Winston, again on the BBMB.
  • In a thread here, how many years ago, about trading all of the Bills' picks for... Carson Wentz.  Does Wentz seem so blue chip these days?  He does not.

It's not that one has a point of view.  It's that's one is a crusader.  For the longest time, in my last run here, I had thought that jeffismagic and @jrober38 were the same person.  Then I realized that they were different people.  Holy *****.  How can two #######s have this obsession with ruining a message board in exactly the same way.  It's not that they have differing opinions from me.  It's that, even if I ignore the heck out of them, the message board is ruined because they reply to everything

With the @jeffismagic rule, @jrober38 should be banned.  And when he returns as spursfan, he should be banned again, and with extreme prejudice.

Props to this brave whistleblower

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

You could make the claim that it was the Pats D that Allen couldn't deal with if he hadn't made the same mistakes at various times against the Bills three previous opponents.   The Bills were good enough to win those three contests despite Allen's intermittent gaffes in all of them, but they came up to bite the Bills in the arse against the Pats.

Not really. 1. JA didn't make nearly the number of mistakes (BB was able to force more mistakes than the others), and 2. JA made big plays in each of those games to offset his bad plays (BB stopped JA from doing that this game. 

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Since QB rating is the only stat that you seem to look at let me find a few for you that Allen is doing well at...

4th in rating in the 4th quarter

7th on 3rd down completions for first downs

3rd in first downs per attempt on 3rd and long

13th in first downs per attempt on 3rd and medium

12th on first downs per attempt on 3rd and short

10th in completion % in the 4th quarter

12th in completion % inside the opponents 20 yard line

10th in rating inside the opponents 20 yard line

15th in rating inside the opponents 10 yard line

13th in rating in 4wr sets

10th in passing % in late and close games

Those are all good passing stats.  But yeah, he is the worst passer in the league because rating and you said so.  If the kid cuts down the turnovers he will go from "one of the worst passers in the league" to top 10.

Good post and you are wasting your time. He's a crusader.

7 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I was at the game Sunday and there was 1 reason the Bills lost the game.  They lost the game for one reason - Josh Allen.  He was absolutely putrid at QB.  I’m a big fan of Allen but he was THE reason why we lost.  

We’re starting to get to the point where you can’t use the whole “lack of experience” excuses for Allen.  For all the progress be seemed to make, we still see him revert back to the traits (holding onto the ball, poor footwork passing up short routes, inaccuracies) from college.  

We saw on Sunday that the thing he does well, scrambling, leaves his open for huge cheap shots to the head.  

He also doesn’t seem to be elevating the offense either.  Take a look at how much better NYG has been since Daniel Jones took over last week.  Or how much better Cleveland was behind Baker and not Tyrod.  Or to a MUCH lesser extent Gardiner Minshew in Jacksonville.   Allen has struggled to generate much more than 20 points per game.

So have you lost faith in Josh Allen?

If you haven’t lost faith, what give you hope that he will eventually start elevating the offense?  

I’m completely on the fence, but trending toward skepticism, unfortunately. 

Im gonna end up getting banned this week......:(

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, london_bills said:

also, why was Allen running HEAD FIRST for a first down? He's not a running back?

I get the emotional 'showing courage' thing but its like what he tends to do in the game, not make the best decision for the team or himself a lot of the time

Not that I like him doing so but.... because the kid is a gamer and wants to win football games by any means.  I feel he will learn eventually.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I was at the game Sunday and there was 1 reason the Bills lost the game.  They lost the game for one reason - Josh Allen.  He was absolutely putrid at QB.  I’m a big fan of Allen but he was THE reason why we lost.  

We’re starting to get to the point where you can’t use the whole “lack of experience” excuses for Allen.  For all the progress be seemed to make, we still see him revert back to the traits (holding onto the ball, poor footwork passing up short routes, inaccuracies) from college.  

We saw on Sunday that the thing he does well, scrambling, leaves his open for huge cheap shots to the head.  

He also doesn’t seem to be elevating the offense either.  Take a look at how much better NYG has been since Daniel Jones took over last week.  Or how much better Cleveland was behind Baker and not Tyrod.  Or to a MUCH lesser extent Gardiner Minshew in Jacksonville.   Allen has struggled to generate much more than 20 points per game.

So have you lost faith in Josh Allen?

If you haven’t lost faith, what give you hope that he will eventually start elevating the offense?  

I’m completely on the fence, but trending toward skepticism, unfortunately. 

No! He has the grit to tough it out, and the mental capacity to figure it out.

• Awesome! (+1) 1