Have You Started To Lose Faith in Josh Allen?

4 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Meaning you don't believe he has accuracy? or that you don't believe he has a deficit with accuracy?

I don't believe that accuracy is one of his deficits. Throwing people open, throwing with anticipation, sure... those things have been issues. He's also been improving on all of them, IMO.

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't believe that accuracy is one of his deficits. Throwing people open, throwing with anticipation, sure... those things have been issues. He's also been improving on all of them, IMO.

That's what I mean and there has been some improvement. Only so much you can improve what is not natural to you under pressure though.

Like was said in earlier threads the weakness is exposed under pressure.

On 10/3/2019 at 1:30 PM, SoTier said:

This is simply untrue. 

- Roethlisberger took over for injured Tommy Maddox in the first game of his rookie season, and led the Steelers to a 15-1 record.  The next year he led them to a Super Bowl win. 

- Favre played in a totally different environment than today -- and his poor play got him traded away to the Packers.  

Oh, Stop right there.  Favre threw a total of 4 attempts in 2 games with Atlanta.  Their trade to GB had absolutely nothing to do with poor play from Favre.

OK while we're here....it's true that the Steelers were 15-1 Roethlisburger's rookie season, but they hardly rode there on his arm.  He threw less than 200 yards per game, and 11 picks.  They were 28th in the league in passing yards, 32 in passing attempts, and #1 in rushing attempts.    Roeth developed hugely to become the QB he is today.

On 10/3/2019 at 1:30 PM, SoTier said:

- Drew Brees played decently as a sophomore but struggled in his third year on a very poor Chargers team.   Brees came out in his fourth season, 2004, with his act all together.  He was named a Pro Bowler that season.

Brees played so poorly his first 3 years the Chargers believed he could not play.  His sophomore season was his first playing season, and he threw almost as many picks as TDs - 17 TD to 16 picks - the Chargers were bottom-third of the league in passing and relied on a good rushing attack for their offense.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, ngbills said:

Here is the problem. You left out what the "Goat" did in the weeks prior to week 5 vs MIA. In week 1 it was 300 yds and 3 tds. In week 3 it was 400 yds and 4 tds. He had been throwing for at least 270 yds each game and completing 70% of his passes. 

Going back to final game last year against Miami (and not including last week's Pats game)  ... Josh is completing 64% of passes  .. he has 6 TD's 4 INT's (and these TD's are horrid looking vs. throwing the ball away) .. but also 4 Rushing TD's.  So that's 10 TDs vs.

The Bills won ... all 4 games (quality of opponents aside) ... the Pats had not given up an offensive TD all season .. Josh came out in the 2nd half and drove the team right down and scored.

Again my point is I'll take Wyoming Josh and no I have not started lost faith as the Op asks.

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, Stop right there.  Favre threw a total of 4 attempts in 2 games with Atlanta.  Their trade to GB had absolutely nothing to do with poor play from Favre.

OK while we're here....it's true that the Steelers were 15-1 Roethlisburger's rookie season, but they hardly rode there on his arm.  He threw less than 200 yards per game, and 11 picks.  They were 28th in the league in passing yards, 32 in passing attempts, and #1 in rushing attempts.    Roeth developed hugely to become the QB he is today.

Brees played so poorly his first 3 years the Chargers believed he could not play.  His sophomore season was his first playing season, and he threw almost as many picks as TDs - 17 TD to 16 picks - the Chargers were bottom-third of the league in passing and relied on a good rushing attack for their offense.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Even the Big Ben and Brees examples are a long time ago. The NFL is a very different environment for young QBs to where it was in the early 00s. 

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Even the Big Ben and Brees examples are a long time ago. The NFL is a very different environment for young QBs to where it was in the early 00s. 

Keep hearing this, but outside of Mahomes, who's really been in videogame mode? Watson's been DECENT. Trubisky? Bortles? Who?

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Keep hearing this, but outside of Mahomes, who's really been in videogame mode? Watson's been DECENT. Trubisky? Bortles? Who?

Watson has been more than decent. He has been very, very good. If he hadn't been the same class as Mahomes people would be raving even more. His career through 26 starts is almost historically good. Kyler Murray has put up numbers, Trubisky even (who is not a top talent) has put up decent numbers. Goff. Wentz. Prescott. Lamar. Mayfield. And I think Josh too has benefitted even if the numbers are not on par with some of those other guys. 

NFL offenses and college offenses have many more concepts in common now than they did even 10 years ago. Shanahan deserves the credit because he started a trend with how they incorporated Baylor stuff for RGIII his rookie year to ease the transition. That is absolutely standard practice when you draft a QB high now and as a result it is much easier to transition now than it was 15 years ago. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I agree with you, but Watson’s been more than decent considering his line is tissue paper. Outside of him and mahomes yeah - people can make a case for Goff and Wentz I guess. but there ain’t many.

Definitely have not lost faith. I actually have more faith in the team and his ability to lead a comeback then I have since Kelly (Reich). It has really made the games more enjoyable to watch knowing were not out of a game. I'll take a few INT's over the overly conservative TT days... He's a smart kid and still learning.  One thing I've noticed (maybe it's just me) but when Josh has more time at the line before the snap he seems to be better. Whether it's up tempo or just the call getting in earlier, he seems to be more comfortable. Again maybe it's just my old a$$ eyes...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I agree with you, but Watson’s been more than decent considering his line is tissue paper. Outside of him and mahomes yeah - people can make a case for Goff and Wentz I guess. but there ain’t many.

The final book hasn't been written yet, but Jones & Minshew so far have looked competent running an NFL offense without resorting to gimmickry to hide their flaws (Rudolph).  We'll see how defenses adapt now there's tape of them.  For me, the key plays for those two were finding the right guys to throw to that are NFL open, not just college open.

• Like (+1) 1

If you are losing faith in Allen the the truth is you never understood what kind of QB he is and never had any real conviction in him to begin with. I've been saying since the Jets game that this is who Allen is. And again after the Bengals. Great examples of our hearts being ripped out momentarily but then Allen leading us to victory. He will rip your heart out multiple times but he will also lead the team to glory.  Last week was a rip your heart out game. No doubt about. But let's not over react. It was game against a team that has been punking us for two decades now and has a defense playing at a historically great level dating back to last yeas Super Bowl where they made the Rams offense look like the Trent Dilfer led Ravens.

If heaving the ball into double and triple coverage and being picked off multiple times a game becomes the norm AND Allen stops producing scoring drives then I will have an issue and have to reconsider my thoughts on the kid. But for now I am totally fine with Allen and fully expected games (plural) like last weeks. But I expect to see more games like the first three. And yes, that includes the Jets game where the turnovers were more flukey in nature and Allen was moving the ball exceptionally well and was able to do what he does best in the fourth quarter. 

20 hours ago, ngbills said:

Here is the problem. You left out what the "Goat" did in the weeks prior to week 5 vs MIA. In week 1 it was 300 yds and 3 tds. In week 3 it was 400 yds and 4 tds. He had been throwing for at least 270 yds each game and completing 70% of his passes. 

And Allen had been passing for 250+ and completing over 60%. Which for Allen was a great improvement over last year/his first six games. That is something that you want to see. Is the guy improving? Then he ran into a buzz saw last week. The New England Patritos defense which is literally on the greatest 5 game run dating back to last years super bowl that the league has ever seen. And heck, Allen and all of his rawness was the only QB to score a TD and lead their offense to double digit point against the Patriots defense during that stretch. Not Goff and the Rams offense. Not Big Ben. And well, certainly not any of the other garbage the Pats played. But still.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/3/2019 at 12:51 PM, Bangarang said:

How so?

Perhaps I  missed them but which reasons?

His completion percentage in college was 56% and so far in the NFL it's 55% (60% this year). His completion percentage this year is definitely an improvement over last year though but I never thought Allen was the kind of QB that would stay in the low 50's for completion percentage. I just equate that to having really bad receivers and a bad o-line. 

See what I mean about linear growth? He had a step back against the pats, but he is progressing again. The general trajectory is still up. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...