Have You Started To Lose Faith in Josh Allen?

7 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Serious question, how is his passing night and day different from when he was in college?

Mechanics and decision making.  The other stuff flows from there. At Wyoming he couldn't get past his first read.  This year, with the exception of last week, he has for the first time begun making reads and going through progressions. Same thing with mechanics. There are times were reverts to old habits, but his mechanics have taken a big leap forward.  At Wyoming he was just a non stop mess. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Mechanics and decision making.  The other stuff flows from there. At Wyoming he couldn't get past his first read.  This year, with the exception of last week, he has for the first time begun making reads and going through progressions. Same thing with mechanics. There are times were reverts to old habits, but his mechanics have taken a big leap forward.  At Wyoming he was just a non stop mess. 

His mechanics (specifically his base and footwork) are still very much a work in progress. I also don't think we can say his decision making is night and day different from his college days. Saying he was just a non step mess at Wyoming either means you didn't watch him there or you're grossly exaggerating. His college games were a healthy mixture of amazing throws/runs and bonehead plays and missed throws. Kinda like what we're still seeing in the pros. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

He is still turning the ball over a lot every game. I honestly believe a lot of the belief that he is better cause they are 3-1. If Allen was even average in all of his starts they should be 4-0 and have blown out the Bengals and the Jets. 

• Like (+1) 1

Roethlisberger, Favre, Brees and countless others just took time to develop into the QB's they were or are now. You don't give up on a QB after not even 2 full seasons of play, he's a gunslinger who wants to put the entire city on his back, he doesn't have to and that's what he needs to understand, when not if he understands that then I believe great things are about to happen with this team imo.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

His mechanics (specifically his base and footwork) are still very much a work in progress. I also don't think we can say his decision making is night and day different from his college days. Saying he was just a non step mess at Wyoming either means you didn't watch him there or you're grossly exaggerating. 

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

He is still turning the ball over a lot every game. I honestly believe a lot of the belief that he is better cause they are 3-1. If Allen was even average in all of his starts they should be 4-0 and have blown out the Bengals and the Jets. 

His mechanics are a work in progress. They are inconsistent. They are, however, more consistent than they were in college. I watched as many Wyoming games as I could after we drafted him.  I even followed his last season at Wyoming, just because he was billed as a top-tier quarterback. I could not believe how a guy that bad could be considered a top-tier quarterback. Josh Allen this year is far better than Josh Allen back then. Again, for the reasons I stated. Is he still a work in progress? Absolutely. Has he made considerable progress? Absolutely. Those things can both be true. I just don't think this can be disputed based on his completion percentage, if nothing else. 

As far as turnovers, you are right. But I don't think it is about the wins. I was through the moon all the way through the Jets games, even when I thought they were going to lose. Those turnovers were fluky. There were not his classic bonehead turnovers (like he did against the Pats).  I felt the same way during the Bengals and Giants game.  And Jrb, I have no idea what you mean by "average." He was literally perfectly average in every statistical category (aside from the fluky Jets turnovers) for those first three games, and then made a couple exceptional plays that make him who he is. 

Funny to hear Murph on the radio today ripping on Marcus Mariota.   He thinks the Bills will stuff him.  That's fine, I don't care for Mariota either. I would not want him to be my QB.  But before you rip on him and defend our guy to the moon and back, check the stats and production.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Roethlisberger, Favre, Brees and countless others just took time to develop into the QB's they were or are now. You don't give up on a QB after not even 2 full seasons of play, he's a gunslinger who wants to put the entire city on his back, he doesn't have to and that's what he needs to understand, when not if he understands that then I believe great things are about to happen with this team imo.

Big Ben was 15-1 as a rookie and won the Super Bowl in his second season. Bad example.

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

Funny to hear Murph on the radio today ripping on Marcus Mariota.   He thinks the Bills will stuff him.  That's fine, I don't care for Mariota either. I would not want him to be my QB.  But before you rip on him and defend our guy to the moon and back, check the stats and production.

It’s as if John Murphy is a biased homer or something.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This thread is the train wreck that wont go away

....wouldn't you love to be a collegiate QB at the time Bflo is considering drafting one?.....hell I'd stay in school and get my PhD before having to face the TBD "experts" and their pigeon s&%t stained red carpet rolled out at the airport for me...SMH.....

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Well, they’re 3-1 in large part because Allen put them on his back and got them there. Or are you forgetting the Jets and Cinci comebacks and his 200+ passing yards in the first half vs the Giants that pretty much put it out of reach? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

His mechanics are a work in progress. They are inconsistent. They are, however, more consistent than they were in college.

How so?

I watched as many Wyoming games as I could after we drafted him.  I even followed his last season at Wyoming, just because he was billed as a top-tier quarterback. I could not believe how a guy that bad could be considered a top-tier quarterback. Josh Allen this year is far better than Josh Allen back then. Again, for the reasons I stated.

Perhaps I  missed them but which reasons?

Is he still a work in progress? Absolutely. Has he made considerable progress? Absolutely. Those things can both be true. I just don't think this can be disputed based on his completion percentage, if nothing else. 

His completion percentage in college was 56% and so far in the NFL it's 55% (60% this year). His completion percentage this year is definitely an improvement over last year though but I never thought Allen was the kind of QB that would stay in the low 50's for completion percentage. I just equate that to having really bad receivers and a bad o-line. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

His mechanics are a work in progress. They are inconsistent. They are, however, more consistent than they were in college. I watched as many Wyoming games as I could after we drafted him.  I even followed his last season at Wyoming, just because he was billed as a top-tier quarterback. I could not believe how a guy that bad could be considered a top-tier quarterback. Josh Allen this year is far better than Josh Allen back then. Again, for the reasons I stated. Is he still a work in progress? Absolutely. Has he made considerable progress? Absolutely. Those things can both be true. I just don't think this can be disputed based on his completion percentage, if nothing else. 

As far as turnovers, you are right. But I don't think it is about the wins. I was through the moon all the way through the Jets games, even when I thought they were going to lose. Those turnovers were fluky. There were not his classic bonehead turnovers (like he did against the Pats).  I felt the same way during the Bengals and Giants game.  And Jrb, I have no idea what you mean by "average." He was literally perfectly average in every statistical category (aside from the fluky Jets turnovers) for those first three games, and then made a couple exceptional plays that make him who he is. 

I agree there was an element of bad luck in a couple of those turnovers but also some very good luck in having one ugly INT called back and another easy INT dropped by the Jets secondary. The fact is he made a lot of mistakes vs Jets and in the end we only scored 17 points, so even though he did some things very well in that game it isn't fair or accurate to only credit him with the good stuff.

I can't comment on Josh's college career but he certainly has improved since the beginning of last season. Very few would dispute that. The problem is that the areas where he struggles (accuracy, decision making, etc.) haven't improved enough to say he's now a franchise NFL QB. You seem to acknowledge this fact.

The question we're left with is this: is it realistic to think he's still going to improve enough moving forward to get there? I don't know the answer to this but I've tried and struggled to come up with a recent example (as the game has changed a lot in the last 5-10 years) of a QB who only became good after multiple years of playing. In every instance I can think of the QB was either good by his second year or never got there. Eventually there will be a shallow learning curve guy who bucks this trend , and maybe it's Josh -- he certainly would fit the profile of that type of player given his talent and background -- but finding examples of that in today's NFL is becoming much tougher.     

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I can’t believe this is even a topic of discussion guys in his second year and were already talking about getting rid of him. No wonder Buffalo can never develop QBs we just shatter their confidence when they struggle and we as fans don’t get what we want

the mean comments on here have shattered many a young optimistic QB's faith in himself

imagine if the Bills didn't cover last Sunday....

16 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I can’t believe this is even a topic of discussion guys in his second year and were already talking about getting rid of him. No wonder Buffalo can never develop QBs we just shatter their confidence when they struggle and we as fans don’t get what we want

While the fans hot takes on the QB subject can be ridiculous at times, they are still just fans overreactions. No one can seriously think these have anything to do with decisions made at OBD over the years.