Have You Started To Lose Faith in Josh Allen?

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I fundamentally disagree with with you Nihilarian. If you wanted a run heavy gameplan and then ask the QB to make the key chain movers on 3rd downs that is not the guy Josh Allen is and I 100% believe he would look worse in that type of offense. If that is what you wanted to run the guy you should have drafted is playing for the Steelers. Josh Allen is at his best when he is in rhythm, up tempo, spread concepts and the ball is in his hands. The way that the Seahawks developed Russell Wilson or the way the Ravens developed Joe Flacco is not the way I believe you have to do it in the modern NFL. You have to run some, absolutely, but you have to get your Quarterback involved. And Josh Allen in particular, more than any QB I can ever remember seeing, is a rhythm guy. When he is in rhythm with the ball in his hands he plays his best. When he is out of rhythm and being asked to just hand it off and make the odd throw those throws are invariably off target.

What did I say...

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I never said anything about hiding or babying Allen. What I said was, build the run game and allow him to work off that with short passes to build his confidence and allow him to get into a rhythm. Simply put, don't put the entire offense on the young QB's shoulders or at times he will feel the need to make a big play to win the game like he has done n the past.

You can still have a heavy run game plan while allowing the QB to get into rhythm as its not one or the other. And once the QB gets into that rhythm you can pass more often.

Asking the QB to come out throwing against such a strong Patriots defense was simply the wrong thing to do. Asking the QB to throw deep on first and 20 was the wrong thing to do.

That Bills offense was dysfunctional in those first few series, Penalty Lee Smith holding, penalty Lee Smith false start, Penalty Mitch Morse ineligible downfield. In the Bills 3rd series time out on offense :blink:. Sorry, I think Daboll stinks. 

The constant empty backfields is what bothered me against NE.

Allen might have had a chance if there was a RB back there with him.

Allen was not good against NE, but the Bills offensive coach’s were also intimidated by BB. Fact

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Nihilarian said:

What did I say...

You can still have a heavy run game plan while allowing the QB to get into rhythm as its not one or the other. And once the QB gets into that rhythm you can pass more often.

Asking the QB to come out throwing against such a strong Patriots defense was simply the wrong thing to do. Asking the QB to throw deep on first and 20 was the wrong thing to do.

That Bills offense was dysfunctional in those first few series, Penalty Lee Smith holding, penalty Lee Smith false start, Penalty Mitch Morse ineligible downfield. In the Bills 3rd series time out on offense :blink:. Sorry, I think Daboll stinks. 

The gameplan was not throwing deep. The majority of those plays were designed to go short and Josh Allen held it too long to try and force the deep ball. I'd put good money on those not being the primary reads on those plays.

And I just think you are wrong on Daboll. He didn't call a great game this week - I agree with that - but he had called 3 good games before that and I maintain the QB was a bigger problem than the OC this week.

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The gameplan was not throwing deep. The majority of those plays were designed to go short and Josh Allen held it too long to try and force the deep ball. I'd put good money on those not being the primary reads on those plays.

And I just think you are wrong on Daboll. He didn't call a great game this week - I agree with that - but he had called 3 good games before that and I maintain the QB was a bigger problem than the OC this week.

And I think you are wrong. I didn't say the game plan was to throw deep as Allen threw a few short passes incomplete to start the game. On that first and 20 I think the call was to throw deep though. 

Matt Barkley took a delay of game in the 4th quarter too, so it was not just Allen. 

Dion Dawkins holding penalty... Matt Barkley sacked -9 yards...Lee Smith false start...Ty Nsekhe false start... Ball on the Patriots 2 yard line and couldn't find a way to punch it in on one try so the OC calls for a pass on 4th down....intercepted.  

Trust me, I'd much rather have Greg Roman as OC, or Anthony Lynn. Even Cam Cameron is better in my view. Daboll might have that Patriots playbook while running a complex offense, but it looks to me like he doesn't know how to develop a young QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

He has shown great heart and has orchestrated a number of come from behind victories.  My concern is that he makes the  same mistakes over and over again.  He seems to forget the hard work he has put into his footwork, especially when rolling to the right. If it’s not there just throw it away.  That is a real problem for him.

How can you even say you are being objective if you are not deeply concerned that we drafted the wrong QB? He leads the NFL in interceptions. 4 turnovers in 1 half. 3 picks in 1 game. Poor ball placement. Extremely poor decision making. If he doesn't get a lot better and very soon, I just hope Beane and McDermott will admit they drafted the wrong QB and try again rather than riding him down until the Pegulas have no choice but to bring in a new HC and GM. At the very least, trade for a better QB or draft another one that can compete for the starting job. We have an elite defense and a starting QB that gives the ball away like gramma hands out candy on Halloween.

4 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Serious question - what makes you so confident?  I’ve been pretty discouraged with Allen this season - the INTS are one thing, but then there are the fumbles, poor decision making, taking sacks etc

I’m not basing this on EJ - I’m considering the fact that while Allen has moved the offense, he has also set them back with really bad plays.  He has an extremely high number of turnovers over the past few games and this doesn’t seem to be something that’s going away.

Like I said here earlier, I’m not one of these “start Barkley” guys.  We need to Allen to take every snap we can get this season.

But at some point, the excuses need to stop.  You need to see more this year at QB, or this regime will be looking for a plan B

QB "taking sacks".   Did you happen to see Dalton take 8 sacks last night?   Its easier to not take sacks and just throw the ball away, especially when they don't call grounding aka. Tom Brady. 

23 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

How can you even say you are being objective if you are not deeply concerned that we drafted the wrong QB? He leads the NFL in interceptions. 4 turnovers in 1 half. 3 picks in 1 game. Poor ball placement. Extremely poor decision making. If he doesn't get a lot better and very soon, I just hope Beane and McDermott will admit they drafted the wrong QB and try again rather than riding him down until the Pegulas have no choice but to bring in a new HC and GM. At the very least, trade for a better QB or draft another one that can compete for the starting job. We have an elite defense and a starting QB that gives the ball away like gramma hands out candy on Halloween.

I agree with your point about at least questioning whether Allen is the one to put the franchise future on. The interceptions are a concern but what's MORE of a concern to me is seeing the field, seeing open receivers, capitalizing on mistakes by the defence.

I ask myself the question

is Allen good but reckless, needing to mature

Or is he just not THAT good?

Edited by london_bills

14 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Mahomes isn't throwing to "household names?" Really?  Josh is nowhere near Mahomes but come on.

Sammy Watkins has been an under achiever for the past 3 years. Demarcus Robinson and Mecole Hardman are nobodies. 

He's got an unbelievable tight end, but his wide receivers are nothing special. He's elevated their play considerably with his talent. 

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Sammy Watkins has been an under achiever for the past 3 years. Demarcus Robinson and Mecole Hardman are nobodies. 

He's got an unbelievable tight end, but his wide receivers are nothing special. He's elevated their play considerably with his talent. 

Nobodies to someone who provides consistent ? football opinions. 

Hardman ran a 4.33 and smoked corners at UGA. Sammy looks awesome again and Tyreek will be back soon.  

More stories to support that agenda ??

15 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Well I’m at work so I don’t have time to dig through. At quick glance most of his guys are getting two or three catches for 30-50 yards. Last week most of our guys had about the same. Again that’s a quick glance as I don’t have time right now. 

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Nobodies to someone who provides consistent ? football opinions. 

Hardman ran a 4.33 and smoked corners at UGA. Sammy looks awesome again and Tyreek will be back soon.  

More stories to support that agenda ??

Hardman played 33 games for Georgia and caught 60 passes. That's less than 2 catches a game for his career.

Watkins has largely done nothing since his week 1 explosion. He did nothing the previous 2 seasons. 

The Chiefs offense is great because they have the best Quarterback in the NFL. He makes everyone on that offense better. 

If Mahomes were throwing to our receivers, he'd still be putting up insane numbers.