Have You Started To Lose Faith in Josh Allen?

11 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The Bills would likely be 4-0 with any of those three, so yeah, I would.   At this point, and especially yesterday, Allen isn't a competent NFL QB.   The NFL isn't a pickup game in street in front of your house, but that seems to be what Allen keeps trying to play.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Im gonna end up getting banned this week......:(

Hahaha I feel ya...why do you think I quit this board for a bit a week and a half ago?  Same reason...different topic.

An outreach of posters and mods via direct messaging brought me back in :) 

But...I picked a bad week to return as I can see its going to be a trainwreck, sky is falling week around here.  

1 minute ago, billsy'est said:

Okay, so final thoughts before I return to lurk mode until the end of the season and beyond.  The Ryan regime would've ruined Mahomes for sure, and Doug Whaley... ugh.  He was great, he seems to be a generational talent at the position, and yet I do not care... because he isn't on this team, probably will never end up on this team, and you don't cut bait with a top-10 draft pick at the position for at least 3 years.

My point remains: @jrober38 is toxic and should be excised from TBD if he can't keep it in his pants if only slightly.  This is a fantastic message board and I love reading it from Friday through Monday while I sip my coffee after the kids are out of the house.  Don't wreck it.  Revise, and in the absence of that guy.

You love reading it but you joined 26 minutes ago?

Hmmm. 

2 minutes ago, billsy'est said:

Okay, so final thoughts before I return to lurk mode until the end of the season and beyond.  The Ryan regime would've ruined Mahomes for sure, and Doug Whaley... ugh.  He was great, he seems to be a generational talent at the position, and yet I do not care... because he isn't on this team, probably will never end up on this team, and you don't cut bait with a top-10 draft pick at the position for at least 3 years.

My point remains: @jrober38 is toxic and should be excised from TBD if he can't keep it in his pants if only slightly.  This is a fantastic message board and I love reading it from Friday through Monday while I sip my coffee after the kids are out of the house.  Don't wreck it.  Revise, and in the absence of that guy.

Technically, Mahomes first year would have been McDermott's first year. So he comes in and learns from... Rick Dennison? Yikes.

And then we pull a Billsy move on Mahomes, and switch OCs after his rookie year. Thus setting his development even further back. And make him play yet again behind a horrible OL. With no weapons.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I was at the game Sunday and there was 1 reason the Bills lost the game.  They lost the game for one reason - Josh Allen.  He was absolutely putrid at QB.  I’m a big fan of Allen but he was THE reason why we lost.  

We’re starting to get to the point where you can’t use the whole “lack of experience” excuses for Allen.  For all the progress be seemed to make, we still see him revert back to the traits (holding onto the ball, poor footwork passing up short routes, inaccuracies) from college.  

We saw on Sunday that the thing he does well, scrambling, leaves his open for huge cheap shots to the head.  

He also doesn’t seem to be elevating the offense either.  Take a look at how much better NYG has been since Daniel Jones took over last week.  Or how much better Cleveland was behind Baker and not Tyrod.  Or to a MUCH lesser extent Gardiner Minshew in Jacksonville.   Allen has struggled to generate much more than 20 points per game.

So have you lost faith in Josh Allen?

If you haven’t lost faith, what give you hope that he will eventually start elevating the offense?  

I’m completely on the fence, but trending toward skepticism, unfortunately. 

I'll bite. He's tantalizing and seemingly a good kid, and that gives me hope. We forget just how few games Allen's played with actual NFL coaching and talent around him. It takes time to unlearn all those bad habits and form new ones in their place.

I agree with you -- Allen is holding the offense/team back. There have been way too many mistakes and he's been rather lucky that more of them didn't come back to bite us vs. Jets and Bengals. We easily could be 1-3. I was ready to move on after the game yesterday but it's probably still too soon. I think we need to give him this year (and risk blowing a chance at making the playoffs) to find out 100% that he can't do it. Right now I'm at 90%. But he's the QB of the Bills -- someone we gave up the farm for -- and should be given every opportunity to hang himself. Hopefully he gets a chance to sit out for a game or two and reassess like last year. Sometimes watching = learning. In short, hope comes from the combination of his undeniable talent + much steeper learning curve.  

Edited by VW82

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I agree. The talent is there, he needs to cut it out with the boneheaded errors. 

Talent is not enough. If you are drafted 7th overall then you are very talented. 

Its the application of that talent, attitude and thinking under pressure situations that concerns me.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yep, he's had a couple good games.  He also threw a dumb pick 6 late yesterday that could have cost his team the game.  And he's 5 years into his career.  Yet some want to throw Allen over the side already.

I will say yet again today:  Allen stunk yesterday. He has to get the dumb throws under control, but having watched what he did the first three games and in the TD drive yesterday, he can do that.  It just has to become the norm for him.

Oh, I would hate to root for Winston for various reasons.  The crazy part is when he’s good Winston, he’s one of the best pure passers in the nfl. 

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Hahaha I feel ya...why do you think I quit this board for a bit a week and a half ago?  Same reason...different topic.

But...I picked a bad week to return as I can see its going to be a trainwreck, sky is falling week around here.  

The team is 3 and 1.....Josh Allen had a LOT to do with that

Now....because we lost by 6 to a team that is just straight steam rolling every other team they face.....we ended up having a chance to win it in the end.....(lets not bring up that if we dont have a punt blocked for a touchdown and a missed field goal we WIN THE DAMN GAME

and the sky is falling here.....get a fricken grip people

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Technically, Mahomes first year would have been McDermott's first year. So he comes in and learns from... Rick Dennison? Yikes.

And then we pull a Billsy move on Mahomes, and switch OCs after his rookie year. Thus setting his development even further back. And make him play yet again behind a horrible OL. With no weapons.

Dennison had a better year than Daboll last year.  He was a total scapegoat for that season. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Nope. Incorrect.

He was a reason. But if you had to pick only one, it would be the blocked punt. Or the missed FG. Both before Allen's performance. Those were each single, specific plays that greatly turned the tide of the game. You cant spot the Pats 10 pts and then lose by 6 16-10.

Nope.  INCORRECT.

Josh Allen cost the Bills the game.  

It always amazes me how quickly fans want inexperienced players to be great. Allen is going to have bad series and bad games. He is going to make mistakes and bone headed plays. He is also going to make some amazing throws and make some amazing plays. The offense is better than last years but it is not a high power offense. The Bills seem to have a hard time dealing with pressure. I still think they are a couple pieces on offense away from being a solid offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Since QB rating is the only stat that you seem to look at let me find a few for you that Allen is doing well at...

4th in rating in the 4th quarter

7th on 3rd down completions for first downs

3rd in first downs per attempt on 3rd and long

13th in first downs per attempt on 3rd and medium

12th on first downs per attempt on 3rd and short

10th in completion % in the 4th quarter

12th in completion % inside the opponents 20 yard line

10th in rating inside the opponents 20 yard line

15th in rating inside the opponents 10 yard line

13th in rating in 4wr sets

10th in passing % in late and close games

Those are all good passing stats.  But yeah, he is the worst passer in the league because rating and you said so.  If the kid cuts down the turnovers he will go from "one of the worst passers in the league" to top 10-15.  All at 23 years old with 15 games experience.  Again, lets watch the whole season.  Not get crazy after a bad game against what could be NFLs best defense.

Don't let bothersome facts like these ^^^^^^ rain on the Debbie Downer Monday greatest hot take hits parade by any means however!

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Always enjoy your posts. I can always count on a reasonable, objective viewpoint.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Don't let bothersome facts like these ^^^^^^ rain on the Debbie Downer Monday greatest hot take hits parade by any means however!

Debbie Downer? We have some good and some bad.

Allen played bad...fact. Positive - this D is either legit or the Pats are not as good as people think. 

• Like (+1) 1