Have You Started To Lose Faith in Josh Allen?

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

You are bringing up EJ Manuel’s name? Good lord. 

Allen is the answer. Nobody and I mean nobody is perfect. Allen I believe just played his 16th game in the NFL. He is progressing. Go back and watch anyone who you think is a great quarterback. They play bad games. They get better. No I am not the least bit concerned about Allen. He is young, he is emotional, and he wants to be great. Oh and he has more physical talent than any other QB in the game. Yesterday he was too emotional. I will concede that. I think that goes away as he is presented with the situation more. I also think the emotion points to what Allen wants, to win for himself, his team, and for us. 

Guys it is easy to beat up on Allen today. Allen isn’t why we lost that game. He finishes it and the Bills win it. 

I'm an Allen backer, but through 4 games he has a woeful qb rating of 69.6, leads the NFL in INTs, has fumbled 5 times, and is averaging 6.5 ypa despite the huge arm. That's a problem. 

22 minutes ago, Figster said:

If you look at the stats on Brady yesterday, one might say Tom Bradys done in the NFL.

This just in, 

I don't think he is...

he was up 13-0 and was quite content to coast to a win on the road

been doing this for years

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Tom Brady had a 45.9 rating yesterday.  Is he done too?

Tom Brady is a 6 time Super Bowl champ, who has a QB rating this year of 97. 

Allen is a guy who a lot of analysts and scouts didn't like, who has a career QB rating of 69. 

Big Ben is on IR with elbow surgery and is 37 years old with a lengthy injury history. Cam Newton is a running QB who has never been very efficient as a passer, who no longer runs because he's been injured so many times and is now an ineffective pocket passer. 

Comparing Tom Brady to any of these guys at this point in their careers isn't exactly apples to apples. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

Tom Brady is a 6 time Super Bowl champ, who has a QB rating this year of 97. 

Allen is a guy who a lot of analysts and scouts didn't like, who has a career QB rating of 69. 

Big Ben is on IR with elbow surgery and is 37 years old with a lengthy injury history. Cam Newton is a running QB who has never been very efficient as a passer, who no longer runs because he's been injured so many times and is now an ineffective pocket passer. 

Comparing Tom Brady to any of these guys at this point in their careers isn't exactly apples to apples. 

So you pretty much have an excuse for every QB out there then.  Either they are headed to the hall of fame so don't have anything to prove or they are just old an over the hill.  

Edited by Scott7975

Playing the way he is playing he simply isn't going to last in the league so it doesn't much matter whether or not you like him as a player.  He's going to be on the shelf a lot and those injuries will likely be increasingly debilitating.

Unless you really like Matt Barkley, prudence dictates that they take another QB fairly high in the near future

4 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

You are bringing up EJ Manuel’s name? Good lord. 

Allen is the answer. Nobody and I mean nobody is perfect. Allen I believe just played his 16th game in the NFL. He is progressing. Go back and watch anyone who you think is a great quarterback. They play bad games. They get better. No I am not the least bit concerned about Allen. He is young, he is emotional, and he wants to be great. Oh and he has more physical talent than any other QB in the game. Yesterday he was too emotional. I will concede that. I think that goes away as he is presented with the situation more. I also think the emotion points to what Allen wants, to win for himself, his team, and for us. 

Guys it is easy to beat up on Allen today. Allen isn’t why we lost that game. He finishes it and the Bills win it. 

Well.  yes.  USA TODAY article I read when looking for something else.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/09/this-statistical-comparison-should-have-bills-worried-about-josh-allen

Just now, That's No Moon said:

Playing the way he is playing he simply isn't going to last in the league so it doesn't much matter whether or not you like him as a player.  He's going to be on the shelf a lot and those injuries will likely be increasingly debilitating.

Unless you really like Matt Barkley, prudence dictates that they take another QB fairly high in the near future

If he doesnt finish the year strong, I would suggest you see them take a quarterback somewhere in the 4th or 5th round of the draft.  

Just now, jrober38 said:

I'm not making an excuse for anyone.

The Steelers need to find a new QB. Same goes for the Panthers.

Same probably goes for us.

We have to find a new QB because Allen didn't light it up yet?

Just now, Socal-805 said:

You drew the comparison of QB , not me.  Own it.

Own what?  I drew a comparison of QBs because the poster said that Newton and Big Ben are not franchise QBs.  One of them is headed to the hall of fame.  The other was the league MVP just a few seasons ago.  Rating isn't the end all be all.  Allen isn't elite in his second year.... quick everyone over react!

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

We have to find a new QB because Allen didn't light it up yet?

Own what?  I drew a comparison of QBs because the poster said that Newton and Big Ben are not franchise QBs.  One of them is headed to the hall of fame.  The other was the league MVP just a few seasons ago.  Rating isn't the end all be all.  Allen isn't elite in his second year.... quick everyone over react!

It's not that Allen isn't elite, it's that he's still one of the worst passers in the NFL.

I just want Allen to be average at this point. He needs to stop being a liability. 

6 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I was at the game Sunday and there was 1 reason the Bills lost the game.  They lost the game for one reason - Josh Allen.  He was absolutely putrid at QB.  

We saw on Sunday that the thing he does well, scrambling, leaves his open for huge cheap shots to the head

So have you lost faith in Josh Allen?

No.

You, as a poster or thread starter with valid points?

Yes.

• Like (+1) 2

No faith lost in Josh. While I dont like performances like yesterday, at all, they aren't unexpected for his current stage of development.

There is a lot of work to be done, but most of it looks fixable with time, experience, and development.

Now it's up to Josh and Dabol to get it fixed.

42 minutes ago, row_33 said:

teams take a closer look at you in your 2nd year than they do for your 1st year

they write the book

some call it a "sophomore slump" but it's really the opposition putting severe review on the player now they know he is sticking around

Jim Kelly took a 3rd year to begin showing his true worth, even with his semi-pro experience and a lot of great players already in place

exactly. if Allen doesn't turn into a top 10 QB by the end of next season we might have to move on. this defense is far too good not to be in the playoffs. 

6 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I was at the game Sunday and there was 1 reason the Bills lost the game.  They lost the game for one reason - Josh Allen.  He was absolutely putrid at QB.  I’m a big fan of Allen but he was THE reason why we lost.  

Nope. Incorrect.

He was a reason. But if you had to pick only one, it would be the blocked punt. Or the missed FG. Both before Allen's performance. Those were each single, specific plays that greatly turned the tide of the game. You cant spot the Pats 10 pts and then lose by 6 16-10.

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

It's not that Allen isn't elite, it's that he's still one of the worst passers in the NFL.

I just want Allen to be average at this point. He needs to stop being a liability. 

Prior to yesterdays game, Allen was in the top 15 in the league.  Can he play a full season before you claim one of the worst passers in the league?  His passer rating was 83.4 before yesterday.  He had a really bad game against one of the best defenses in the NFL and that brought his rating way down.

Edited by Scott7975

14 minutes ago, dous21 said:

exactly. if Allen doesn't turn into a top 10 QB by the end of next season we might have to move on. this defense is far too good not to be in the playoffs. 

on to Tennessee

be patient

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

This.  Allen has started 15 games. 

9 or those 15 games he had more than 1 turnover.  7 of those 15 games were multi interception games.   2 of those games are multi touchdown games.   He is a bigger liability than he is a help.

Nothing about the kid makes me think he is going to be a long term answer at QB.   He is very lucky to be on a good team.   People want to believe there is this light that goes on for quarterbacks.   I've never seen it.   Good quarterbacks usually come into the league good.   Josh is the same player he was in college.  Extremely physically gifted, but incredibly prone to huge mistakes.

The biggest question for me is if McBeane are willing to let their careers be ruined by the kid, or if they will be smart enough to move on after next year.

• Like (+1) 1