Have You Started To Lose Faith in Josh Allen?

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Why exactly were you nowhere to be seen when the team was 3-0, and now only come out after a loss?

Why do you care? Why do I have to explain myself to you?

Your obsession with me and anyone who says anything critical about Josh Allen is extremely bizarre.

I'm going to go ahead and put you on the ignore list because it's growing tiring having you respond to each of my posts with the same worthless drivel drivel time after time.

Full disclosure:  I'm a Jets fan (although I live in New England).   I'm just not sure you can really outgrow the combination of inaccuracy and poor decision making.  Yes, he is spectacular in spurts but his performance has been fairly consistent in HS, JC, College and his rookie year.  He completes barely more than half of his passes and turns the ball over a lot.  But then he will impress the hell out of you with a sixty yard bomb or fifty yard scramble.  But I'm not sure he's going to get a whole lot more consistent.

I was listening to part of the game on the radio yesterday and Patriots homer color guy Scott Zolak (who is a total D-bag) was absolutely merciless, laughing over the play by play guy at Allen's poor decisions, saying he doesn't know how to check down,  "this guy doesn't have it," and saying the Bills should draft their next QB "right now."  Not saying I agree with him but he was ruthless.  (His guy wasn't much better yesterday, FWIW.) 

I'd like to see Allen succeed (although not too much against the Jets) because he seems like a good kid and it could make for a fun AFC east rivalry over the next ten years but I'm not betting on it.  His poor traits might not be fixable.  But the Bills have an awesome defense and I wouldn't be surprised if they make the playoffs with him this year.

Edited by Bruce Harper
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Full disclosure:  I'm a Jets fan (although I live in New England).   I'm just not sure you can really outgrow the combination of inaccuracy and poor decision making.  Yes, he is spectacular in spurts but his performance has been fairly consistent in HS, JC, College and his freshman year.  He completes barely more than half of his passes and turns the ball over a lot.  But then he will impress the hell out of you with a sixty yard bomb or fifty yard scramble.  But I'm not sure he's going to get a whole lot more consistent.

I was listening to part of the game on the radio yesterday and Patriots homer color guy Scott Zolak (who is a total D-bag) was absolutely merciless, laughing over the play by guy at Allen's poor decisions, saying he doesn't know how to check down,  "this guy doesn't have it," and saying the Bills should draft their next QB "right now."  Not saying I agree with him but he was ruthless.  (His guy wasn't much better yesterday, FWIW.) 

I'd like to see Allen succeed (although not too much against the Jets) because he seems like a good kid and it could make for a fun AFC east rivalry over the next ten years but I'm not betting on it.  His poor traits might not be fixable.  But the Bills have an awesome defense and I wouldn't be surprised if they make the playoffs with him this year.

The decision making is the problem. The accuracy isn't. He's been fairly accurate this year.

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

He's 33rd in QB Rating among qualified QBs so this isn't a stretch. 

Allen hasn't shown he learns anything after making mistakes.

Yesterday:

Interception #1 was a throw into double coverage down the field.

Interception #2 was a very poorly thrown ball into double coverage down the field.

Interception #3 was a throw into double coverage down the sideline that should have been thrown away.

He makes the same mistakes over and over and over again. 

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are in the top 10 in QB rating with 1 win combined this season. Ever think there might be more to the starting QB and leader of a football team then stats show?

Myself personally, again talks cheaper then the Cheatriot ways. If Josh Allen is on the field for the last minute drive on Sunday NOBODY is stopping THEM...

... Not in my not so humble opinion...

...One Buffalo Strong...

• Thank you (+1) 1

Lost faith?  No, I haven't.  Josh has a long way to go, but I haven't lost any faith.  He still hasn't even had a full season of play and is only 23 years old.  The Pats have one of the best defenses in the NFL.  Lets not forget that.  Outside of the interceptions, he played just as good as Brady did yesterday against a very tough defense. Had he stayed in the game he may have gotten us the lead.  We will never know.  I know the first drive in the second half, when the play calls were different, the guy was on the money.

I would say it has shaken my faith because up until this game he was generally making enough smart plays to cover his bad and the growth was noticeable. Yesterday was his first real test of if he could be the guy at QB and he was a tire fire to the point I had to look objectively if he can cut these bad plays out for good. Not every team will be as good as NEs defense but 8-10 wins a year by picking on weak foes and collapsing your QB against real resistance. I look forward to seeing how he responds and if he can clean up his game.

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Why do you care? Why do I have to explain myself to you?

Your obsession with me and anyone who says anything critical about Josh Allen is extremely bizarre.

I'm going to go ahead and put you on the ignore list because it's growing tiring having you respond to each of my posts with the same worthless drivel drivel time after time.

You don't like someone challenging your takes.  Too bad.

I get on your stuff because you only come on here to crow when the team does poorly.  Because you think it somehow shows your genius in evaluating Qbs.  And you're the guy that would have traded the entire draft to get Winston.  To me that sows you don't have the knowledge you think you have, and it's beyond irritating when you come on here and pretend you do, only after a loss.

He’ll be out for the season if he continues to play the style he at right now.... that is the biggest fault in his game right now.

I guess I can live with deep INTs, but it made me think we need a big go get it receiver if that’s the type of player Allen is going to be front time to time... 

the TE needs to be better utilized in this offense,  i think that would hep Allen our a lot.

lost faith?  Don’t be stupid, no.

Yesterday, Josh Allen looked like a rookie.  He's still our best chance to win at the QB position, and I don't think he's proven that he will never be any better.  He has yet to play at an elite level for more than half of any game he's started.  However, he's already good enough to beat many sub-par teams around the league (which might not be saying much).

I haven't seen any reporting on how much damage the hit to head did.  We all remember what happened to Trent Edwards after his concussion.

Let's see what happens for the rest of the season, but the Bills management should already be thinking of their next move if Allen doesn't pan out.  He was always a calculated gamble, at best.

16 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We knew he was going to be a project. We knew we had to be very patient.  This might take 3 full years before he figures it out. My biggest fear is not his physical capacity but his mental demeanor.  He keeps making the same mistake. He has the capacity to learn but it's almost like he refuses to? Dabol, his wrs and the oline didn't do him any favors yesterday.  Sean had to know BB would bring 5-6 guys all day. There were no hot reads, few short passes & screens. They should've insisted to Josh, you're going short today whether you like it or not. His slow eyes and poor read progressions killed him yesterday. He will bounce back but this development will take longer than most qbs....

THIS

I foresee us being in a similar situation as Tampa/Titans with Winston/Mariota where we are going to go into his final contract year and make the decision to continue with Allen or not... do I hope he figures it out? YES, the dude has the highest ceiling out of any QB right now... but am I concerned that he wonʻt figure it out? YES, same errors over and over again needs to stop NOW.

But to answer the question: No, I am not losing faith, but I am bummed that his trajectory is taking longer than it should

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Threads like this almost make me miss the offseason threads.

Some of you folks should take a few days away from the keyboard after a loss.

We don't need to be blindly optimistic, but the dude is essentially a rookie with new talent ALL around him. He's already shown he can shake off the crusty schitt to pull out wins. He needs to learn and move forward, and he's already proven he can do that.

If you're in this for immediate gratification, you picked the wrong sport.

I disagree.  The thread is questioning the future of the franchise after several turnover-laden performances this season.  

As a Bills fan, I think it’s understandable to be concerned about Allen.  You could see some of the progress he made over the first few games but you also saw many of the same the same mistakes as well.

For me what was most disappointing about the loss yesterday was the fact that he essentially reverted back to “Wyoming Josh.” 

Given his performance this week, I think there could be cause for concern

Allen has to quit being stubborn.  That's really the crux of it.  The accuracy thing has been answered this season; he has ben very accurate for the most part, missed a coupele throws like all QBs do but has largely been on target.  But he has to get that roll out to the right and chuck it downfield throw out of his repertoire, as he does the keep fading back and throwing while backpedaling trick he does.  He is trying to make plays when they aren't there because he's being stubborn.

The frustrating thing is on the drives where he has led the team back from being down (like yesterday) or like the opening of the Jets and Giants games, he has it within him to take the shorter throws and move the team down the field. He has it within him to use the team around him.  He just has to get over that stubbornness where he thinks he has to do it all.   Daboll screaming at him like he did yesterday might work, or maybe a vet like Gore needs to take him to the side and patiently explain how he needs to stop that stuff.   If he does we'll be fine.

This was, what, his 15th NFL start? He was considered incredibly raw coming in.  And he was playing against a great defense and the best defensive mind of all time.  Yesterday was disappointing, but I'm nowhere near pushing the panic button.  I expect Josh to struggle at times this year. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I too believe this to be the case, but he still does some mind-bendingly stupid things.

Like, the no-huddle wrecked the Patriots on the TD drive, then we don't see it again. Why?

Yes.  And one could craft a list - Lee Smith and Andre Roberts?  Gore is playing great - so stop running etc

I think Belichek is in Daboll’s head and he tries too hard when facing him.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Allen did lead the Bills downfield for a TD in the 2nd half, and we were driving when he was knocked out, or were we watching different games?

He did.  He also looked lost for the majority of the same committed some huge turnovers that essentially dug the team into that hole.

The fact they they were down just 13-3 at the half is a testament to the awesome performance of the defense.