Have You Started To Lose Faith in Josh Allen?

4 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I was at the game Sunday and there was 1 reason the Bills lost the game.  They lost the game for one reason - Josh Allen.  He was absolutely putrid at QB.  I’m a big fan of Allen but he was THE reason why we lost.  

We’re starting to get to the point where you can’t use the whole “lack of experience” excuses for Allen.  For all the progress be seemed to make, we still see him revert back to the traits (holding onto the ball, poor footwork passing up short routes, inaccuracies) from college.  

We saw on Sunday that the thing he does well, scrambling, leaves his open for huge cheap shots to the head.  

He also doesn’t seem to be elevating the offense either.  Take a look at how much better NYG has been since Daniel Jones took over last week.  Or how much better Cleveland was behind Baker and not Tyrod.  Or to a MUCH lesser extent Gardiner Minshew in Jacksonville.   Allen has struggled to generate much more than 20 points per game.

So have you lost faith in Josh Allen?

If you haven’t lost faith, what give you hope that he will eventually start elevating the offense?  

I’m completely on the fence, but trending toward skepticism, unfortunately. 

The play from the QB position will always be a deciding factor in any football game in my humble opinion. The Pats have been beating down every opponent they face this season. NFL QB's couldn't even muster up a TD before Buffalo scored against them.

Sure, Josh Allen stunk the place up with his play on Sunday. Allen is still very early in his development regardless If you like hear it or not facing arguably the best Defensive guru in the game coaching a D that eats ALL NFL QB's for Lunch.

Myself personally, its easy to understand why J A struggled.

Whats Tom Brady's excuse? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Threads like this almost make me miss the offseason threads.

Some of you folks should take a few days away from the keyboard after a loss.

We don't need to be blindly optimistic, but the dude is essentially a rookie with new talent ALL around him. He's already shown he can shake off the crusty schitt to pull out wins. He needs to learn and move forward, and he's already proven he can do that.

If you're in this for immediate gratification, you picked the wrong sport.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think he is the quarterback of an exceptionally good football team, but I wouldnt say I ever went over to the side of having faith in him.   Running aside, he is putting up numbers very close to guys like Blake Bortles, Deshone Kizer, and Geno Smith- sense a trend here.  I am not sure Josh is ever going to be a good starter in the NFL.   I think the Bills spent a first round pick on a more athletic Derek Anderson.

Everytime he rolls to his right everyone knows whats coming.   I hope I am wrong, but he may be the worst starting quarterback in the league right now.

He's 33rd in QB Rating among qualified QBs so this isn't a stretch. 

1 hour ago, K-Apps said:

Biggest reason why I didn’t like the pick of him and why I was never sold on him. I don’t think those traits can be easily fixed and corrected. You either have that awareness and smarts like Brady or you don’t. The fact that Barkley cold was making quick reads and getting the receivers the ball is a big concern about how Allen’s hold on the offense. Beane and McDermott are going have further improve the O-Line and get a true #1 WR either by trade or draft. I don’t think Allen can carry this offense into the playoffs unless he improves that aspect of his game.

Allen hasn't shown he learns anything after making mistakes.

Yesterday:

Interception #1 was a throw into double coverage down the field.

Interception #2 was a very poorly thrown ball into double coverage down the field.

Interception #3 was a throw into double coverage down the sideline that should have been thrown away.

He makes the same mistakes over and over and over again. 

• Like (+1) 1

So a young QB with a winning record struggles who doesn’t even have a full season of games on his resume yet was facing one of the best defenses in the NFL, the single greatest defensive mind in the history of football by a WIDE margin in BB, while also missing Singletary and playing with WRs who couldnt get open and behind an inconsistent OL still learning to play together...and your take away is to lose faith????  Let’s not forget 8 of the 10 starters around him are also all new and playing just their 4th game together.

Come on people.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Figster said:

Whats Tom Brady's excuse? 

Exactly. He was absolutely horrible yesterday. I'm not a big fan of "If this didn't happen..." to justify our team, but if you remove the blocked punt yesterday, the talk today would be about Brady's embarrassing day against an outstanding Bills defense.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So a young QB with a winning record struggles who doesn’t even have a full season of games on his resume yet was facing one of the best defenses in the NFL, the single greatest defensive mind in the history of football by a WIDE margin in BB, while also missing Singletary and playing with WRs who couldnt get open and behind an inconsistent OL still learning to play together...and your take away is to lose faith????  Let’s not forget 8 of the 10 starters around him are also all new and playing just their 4th game together.

Come on people.  

Glad I have someone else to lean on to battle the incessant stupid. A little fuzzy after yesterday. Thanks Sam Smith.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Come on people.  

Folks who were frustrated they couldn't express themselves during the three game win streak are making up for lost opportunities. And some others should just take a 72 hour break after a loss to avoid overly reactive foolishness, but then again, it's the internet.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Exactly. He was absolutely horrible yesterday. I'm not a big fan of "If this didn't happen..." to justify our team, but if you remove the blocked punt yesterday, the talk today would be about Brady's embarrassing day against an outstanding Bills defense.

I think the issue is that the biggest thing holding this team back right now from being a true Super Bowl contending team is its QB play. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Yesterday:

Interception #2 was a very poorly thrown ball into double coverage down the field.

Interception #3 was a throw into double coverage down the sideline that should have been thrown away.

Just for the heck of it I reviewed some posters' histories.  I noted you had no posts about Allen or about the QB play or pretty much any thing about the team the first 3 weeks when they won.  And now because they lose to the Pats, and because Allen had a tough outing, all of a sudden you're all over the board commenting on the kid, and how bad he is and so on.  And it's not like you were off on an island with no Internet access because during those first three weeks you were on the Politics section pretty regularly.

So why do we hide and stay mum when things are good for the team, but jump out and comment when they have a loss? What is the agenda here?

4 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Allow me to remind Bills fans that in his 6 years as an NFL offensive coordinator for four different teams Brian Daboll has never fielded better than 23rd. in passing yards!

2009 Cleveland (5-11) Points for  29, Yards for 32. Passing yards that season 32nd

2010 Cleveland  (5-11). PF 31, YF 29. Passing yards that season 29th

2011 Miami (6-10). PF 20, YF 22. Passing yards that season 23rd

2012 Kansas (2-12) PF 32, YF 24. Passing yards that season 32nd

2018 Buffalo (6-10) PF 30, YF 30. Passing yards that season 31st.

2019 Buffalo (3-0) PF 17, YF 8. Passing yards in the first three games 19th

The Buffalo Bills just played the NE Patriots with the #1 defense in points allowed, #1 in yards allowed. The Bills scored the very first TD against that defense this season.  The 2018 SB winners with pro bowl, all pro ex Bills CB Stephon Gilmore!

So what does Brian Daboll call in that first series against that defense ...Pass, incomplete,  Pass, incomplete, 5 yard penalty (no play), Run, Run, Penalty (center ineligible downfield?) Penalty TE Lee Smith. 1st and 20 at Buffalo 30, Daboll calls for a deep middle pass to John Brown INT! 

Line playing poorly, penalties, and with Gore the Bills should should have come out running. Bills Blocked punt for 7 pts... Missed FG. Turnover on downs. Out coached on offense! 

and here is a list of the QB's he had to work with

Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme, Matt Moore, Chad Henne, Matt Cassell. Daboll is the best OC we have had in years.

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Yesterday:

Those picks were compounded by the fact those balls were ducks due to not setting his feet and throwing off his back foot. At least he was set, maybe one or two of those of those are either TDs or overthrows

We knew he was going to be a project. We knew we had to be very patient.  This might take 3 full years before he figures it out. My biggest fear is not his physical capacity but his mental demeanor.  He keeps making the same mistake. He has the capacity to learn but it's almost like he refuses to? Dabol, his wrs and the oline didn't do him any favors yesterday.  Sean had to know BB would bring 5-6 guys all day. There were no hot reads, few short passes & screens. They should've insisted to Josh, you're going short today whether you like it or not. His slow eyes and poor read progressions killed him yesterday. He will bounce back but this development will take longer than most qbs....

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Just for the heck of it I reviewed some posters' histories.  I noted you had no posts about Allen or about the QB play or pretty much any thing about the team the first 3 weeks when they won.  And now because they lose to the Pats, and because Allen had a tough outing, all of a sudden you're all over the board commenting on the kid, and how bad he is and so on.  And it's not like you were off on an island with no Internet access because during those first three weeks you were on the Politics section pretty regularly.

So why do we hide and stay mum when things are good for the team, but jump out and comment when they have a loss? What is the agenda here?

You need to find a new obsession.

It's getting creepy. 

Our QB is statistically speaking one of the worst QBs in the NFL this year. And you're telling me I have an agenda?

Ummm, what???

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CoachT said:

Daboll is the best OC we have had in years.

I too believe this to be the case, but he still does some mind-bendingly stupid things.

Like, the no-huddle wrecked the Patriots on the TD drive, then we don't see it again. Why?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

You need to find a new obsession.

It's getting creepy. 

Our QB is statistically speaking one of the worst QBs in the NFL this year. And you're telling me I have an agenda?

Ummm, what???

Why exactly were you nowhere to be seen when the team was 3-0, and now only come out after a loss?  And I have already said numerous times Allen played bad yesterday.  I have no agenda with him. 

Edited by oldmanfan

1 minute ago, K-Apps said:

Those picks were compounded by the fact those balls were ducks due to not setting his feet and throwing off his back foot. At least he was set, maybe one or two of those of those are either TDs or overthrows

His mechanics were a mess yesterday.

He missed two wide open 5 yard outs on the first two drives.

He hasn't completed a deep ball all year. 

The real problem though is the decision making. On the 2nd interception, he had (and looked at) Frank Gore wide open in the left flat, because the linebacker covering him literally fell down. Instead of taking the wide open check down that probably would have been a 30-40 yard gain because there was no one within 25 yards of Gore, Allen heaved the deep ball, poorly, and it was easily intercepted. 

Allen throws too many interceptions and fumbles the ball too many times. He needs to clean it up by the end of the year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I too believe this to be the case, but he still does some mind-bendingly stupid things.

Like, the no-huddle wrecked the Patriots on the TD drive, then we don't see it again. Why?

The one I'm stuck on is having Lee Smith running an out and up on 3rd and 15(I think) on one of the biggest plays in the game.

Why was he even on the field. Dawson would have shredded that linebacker.