Have You Started To Lose Faith in Josh Allen?

3 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

So why don't you become a Jax fan or cheer for the G men?

JA is the Bills QB and for at least 4 more years barring serious injury.

Then you are in big trouble. It's fine you want to cheer for him to succeed. I don't think he will be that top 10 guy. You guys keep saying it's only been 15 games but some other first year QBs look better in less games. 

The thing that concerns me is that he reverts really easily to bad habits.  I'm not just talking about the hero ball stuff he does.  Yesterday his mechanics were awful and it showed in his accuracy.  Back foot throws, his shoulders flying open, he was missing really short throws to the flat, he was missing over the middle, he was just scattershot outside of 1 drive in the 3rd.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Then you are in big trouble. It's fine you want to cheer for him to succeed. I don't think he will be that top 10 guy. You guys keep saying it's only been 15 games but some other first year QBs look better in less games. 

He is fun to watch and 4 comebacks in 15 starts is a decent beginning.

11 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

And they will have tough games as well.  Will you be on here saying that when they do?  Because all young QBs will have their ups and downs.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

And they will have tough games as well.  Will you be on here saying that when they do?  Because all young QBs will have their ups and downs.

I know young QBs have their ups and downs. The difference is Allen has been down for most of it this season. Comeback wins are all well and good but you will lose a lot if you turn the ball over like Allen tends to do. 

19 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I can tell this isn't a very popular take.  But yesterday's game was very concerning when it came to Josh Allen.

For the first time since he was drafted, we are starting to see a legitimate stunt in his progress and a regression in his game.

As Bills fans, winning is obviously the ultimate goal.  Many are just happy that we hung with the Patriots until the last drive, and that our defense shut down the mighty Tom Brady.  I am trying to look more long-term.  Because I know that if we are going to eventually retake the AFC East and become a true contender, we need to see Josh Allen develop into a Top 10 Quarterback in this league.  He's still got plenty of time to become that guy.  But yesterday's game was clearly a step in the wrong direction.

It's easy to make excuses about Allen's "hero ball" moments.  Yes, every QB makes those kinds of throws occasionally when trying too hard to make a play.  The problem with Allen, is that he keeps doing the same thing EVERY SINGLE WEEK and it's not registering in his head.  He did it in the preseason.  He did it Week 1 and Week 3.  Then he did it twice against the Patriots yesterday.  Defenses are learning to bait Allen into those throws, and he's just not learning from his mistakes.  Anytime a young QB starts making the same mistakes over and over, it should set-off the alarm bells.  We could have lost both the Jets and Bengals games because of those throws, and it's totally fair to say we lost to the Patriots because of the INTs.

Agreed.  His tendency to hold the ball too long might be a symptom of failing to quickly process what’s happening on the field, which would be a huge problem.  Unfortunately, he’s looking like a guy who can only win games by mixing in a heavy dose of QB runs, whether planned or not.  He’s not looking like a guy who can beat a good defense from the pocket.  And it’s not just against Belichick.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

What concerns me, is that the Bills Offense found success in the 3rd quarter with the no-huddle offense and then abandoned it. The no-huddle gave Allen more time at the line to analyze the Pats Defense and stymied Pats substitutions.

33 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

How many games are you going to give the kid?  Thats always the answer Bills fans give. I'm sorry but their is QBs in their first season who already look better then Allen. Minshew in Jacksonville has played much better in his first 4 games. Has a completion % of 69% and 7 TDs to 1 int. 

By the middle/end of Year 3, you can usually tell where a QB's career is headed.  If a quarterback shows occasional flashes of greatness, but remains inconsistent (Dak Prescott for a recent example), you may want to let him have a 4th season to prove himself.

In response to your comment about Minshew....

Every QB has a different progression.  Some start off great, then hit a wall.  Some start off poorly, but eventually develop into great players.  It's possible that Jacksonville is simplifying the offense for Minshew right now, which is giving him some easy throws and success.  If so, defenses will ultimately catch on.  

2 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

The deep balls concern me but this New England defense is unreal. BB is a master vs young qbs and Allen didn’t have an answer. 1 bad game out of four isn’t concerning, yet.

This is the correct answer.  BB's MO is doing to rookie QBs what he did to Josh Allen.  Josh will continue to grow and continue to get better. He has shown that he can learn the game, there is no reason to believe that will stop.  

Allen lost us this game IMO. He made mistakes / forced throws and turnovers, left points on the field.

The low snap blocked punt for a TD was nail in the coffin for us and it shouldn't of been.

From what I have seen over 4 games this year. Josh struggles to see the field well enough. He makes multiple ill advised throws a game which is a pattern. He  didn't seem to be taking the underneath stuff as much as he should of been. The quick 3 step pass showed up briefly but never became part of the overall flow of the  game. This could be partial game planning, or Josh just ignoring the underneath stuff. 

He definitely has some areas to improve on.  But today we saw his weaknesses on full display

In the end our D did there job.

A ST gaf, and the QB position came up short 

• Like (+1) 1

My biggest concern from yesterday is he did so many things wrong. It wasn't just one flaw. He made poor decision with the ball, and also he missed open receivers by 5 yards on down field throws, and also he missed easy short passes, and also he misread the defense, and also his mechanics were poor, and also he had bad situational awareness (sacks out of field goal range). It was the kind of game you expected to see from him in week 1 of last year, not game 4 of his sophomore season. Every negative from his scouting report was on full display. Yeah it worries me.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This will keep you on the fence (or "dense" ?), but it's not as simple as "he's got to learn not to play hero ball," as people keep saying. His hero ball successes are primarily why he generates so much excitement. Fans WANT him to hold on to the ball for five seconds, sidestep three defenders and heave the ball across his body and off his back foot--IF it leads to a TD or touchdown. They eat it up, call him "amazing" and "athletic." No one says then, "He's got to stop playing hero ball" then, even though it's exactly the type of stupid play we're lamenting today, with less luck involved. 

He might learn to play more conservatively and take the big shots only when they're smart, but his fans aren't helping him by ecstatically cheering him when they're not smart.