Have You Started To Lose Faith in Josh Allen?

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

Oh no. We’ve reached the “he’s a good guy” defense. We’re *****

If that’s what you see then you deserve Orton. Same for the brilliant guy pushing a jp losman agenda.

Watch the ***** games and leave your idiot glasses aside. The team had had too many lapses through 4 games,but I’m not in panic mode.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Stop with the rational takes. There's emotions to be vented.

I know you and others don't want to see the negatives. You want to BILLieve so bad but Allen is not good. How is it 2 first year QBs look so much better in their first 4 games then Allen has in 15?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Stop with the rational takes. There's emotions to be vented.

Perhaps SDS could look into creating a virtual safe space for them to go to in times like these...

2 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I know you and others don't want to see the negatives. You want to BILLieve so bad but Allen is not good. How is it 2 first year QBs look so much better in their first 4 games then Allen has in 15?  

Shouldn't you be getting ready to catch the bus to school right about now?

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

So why don't you become a Jax fan or cheer for the G men?

JA is the Bills QB and for at least 4 more years barring serious injury.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I had a feeling this was going to happen at some point this year. 

The pedestal that many Bills fans seemed to unrealistically prop Josh Allen onto was so high, that a hiccup or two here or there would seem like falling over Niagara Falls...

Josh has a long way to go. He just made his 15th start, against a great defense with the best defensive coach that makes opponents beat you by doing what they're not good at (Daboll helped by unnecessarily calling so many passes...). A lot of fans were talking about Allen in the off season as if he was a 5 year veteran with rings. I get it though; he's a gamer, with a big arm and wheels, who sticks around to sign autographs and says all the right things. It's easy to root for the kid, but he's just not "there" yet. 

15 starts

:thumbsup:

Now look what happened in the 2nd half, Allen went 6-6 while scoring a TD on a defense that hadn't allowed an offensive TD this season previously!

If Allen doesn't get injured my take is he takes the team to a comeback win! 

It truly is embarrassing how quickly some Bills fans jump off the bandwagon and complain endlessly about a young QB with not even a full season under his belt.

The Bills offense just went against the very best defense in the NFL, the SB champs who beat the Chiefs in last years AFC Champ game. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I have not lost faith in the kid.  He got a lesson yesterday from the best HC and best DC that has ever coached in the NFL.  That said, while I anticipate young QBs will make mistakes, I think it is a legitimate criticism of Allen that he has to stop making the same mistake over and over.  He cannot keep throwing late downfield into coverage, hoping to make a big paly happen.  The first pick he has to see the safety, the other two you just cannot make those throws into the into of coverage the Pats had. 

The first 4 games, you can see how much potential the kid has.  You don't lead your team from behind in three games like he did to win (and may have yesterday if he hadn't gotten hurt) and not have what it takes.  But he has to play smarter.

I’m talking myself out of losing faith in him. I’ll chalk it up to pats defense being good and making every QB look bad going back to last season. 

He’s hopefully going to play more games this season so we will see if he can hit the long balls at some point. 

That’s really a concern. In the first 3 games they didn’t take too many shots down the field, but he was off on most if not all of them. 

Yesterday it was one after another. 

If the deep accuracy doesn’t improve teams will just take away the underneath stuff and he won’t be effective. 

• Like (+1) 1

Allen was bad yesterday.  I haven't rewatched any of the game, but just from the broadcast it seemed pretty clear that he was having a hard time understanding the defense and was holding onto the ball too long as a result.  That doesn't concern me in the slightest -- this sort of thing happens when a young QB goes up against a Belichick defense.  He'll improve with experience in this area.

I am getting concerned about two things though.  The first is that he keeps making the same ugly interceptions over and over by rolling to his right and throwing back across his body.  He knows that he shouldn't do this because he says so after games, but he keeps doing it anyway.  I don't pretend to know whether this is a maturity issue, a coaching issue, or what, but it's undeniably a problem.  The second cause for concern is the way he mopes on the sideline after making a mistake and the way he seems to be rattled when he comes back onto the field.  Again, maybe it's just the immaturity of a young player, but they guy needs to grow some thicker skin.

These are things that I've observed over the first four games of the season.  No reason to overreact to one bad game against New England, but the decision-making needs to improve.

• Like (+1) 1

When we drafted Allen he was considered a raw but super talented player who needed time to mature and grow as a player. No one considered him a finished product. 

He’s on the exact trajectory I expected and hoped for. He has a long way to go but I’m enjoying he hell out of the ride. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I have not lost faith in the kid.  He got a lesson yesterday from the best HC and best DC that has ever coached in the NFL.  That said, while I anticipate young QBs will make mistakes, I think it is a legitimate criticism of Allen that he has to stop making the same mistake over and over.  He cannot keep throwing late downfield into coverage, hoping to make a big paly happen.  The first pick he has to see the safety, the other two you just cannot make those throws into the into of coverage the Pats had. 

The first 4 games, you can see how much potential the kid has.  You don't lead your team from behind in three games like he did to win (and may have yesterday if he hadn't gotten hurt) and not have what it takes.  But he has to play smarter.

This one actually didn't bother me at all.  A guy with Allen's experience level is going to mis-read the coverage occasionally.  I don't see that as a cause for worry.

The other interceptions were on passes that Allen knows better than to attempt, but he attempted them anyway.  

I am concerned about Allen's continued mistakes, but it is way too early to write him off as a bust.     He has a good arm and as over come adversity twice on the fourth quarter this year.  Before yesterday, his completion percentage was around 62 percent. 

You cannot write him off based on yesterday's game.   Keep in mind that this was a defense that also recently shut down Jared Goff and Ben Roethlisberger.    Allen was knocked out of the game, we do not know what he would have done in the fourth quarter this time around.   Barkley (who some think is our better long term option) looked just as bad if not worse when he came in.   

If the season ends and Allen has shown no progress, then maybe the questions start to come in, but not at this time.

Edited by dgrochester55

Let’s put it this way, the two Patriots guys I know we’re bummed out when Josh Allen got hurt because as they claim “Josh won us the game”.  The two times they’ve seen Allen they think he is the worst QB in the league.

but I’ll chalk it up to New England.  He will look better or at least decent against most NFL teams. I suspect in Dallas he will have issues.

As Bills fans we just gotta hang in there.  This season Josh Allen is not making any explosive plays with his legs.  That’s different From last year. He’s trying to think too much instead of just balling.

I can tell this isn't a very popular take.  But yesterday's game was very concerning when it came to Josh Allen.

For the first time since he was drafted, we are starting to see a legitimate stunt in his progress and a regression in his game.

As Bills fans, winning is obviously the ultimate goal.  Many are just happy that we hung with the Patriots until the last drive, and that our defense shut down the mighty Tom Brady.  I am trying to look more long-term.  Because I know that if we are going to eventually retake the AFC East and become a true contender, we need to see Josh Allen develop into a Top 10 Quarterback in this league.  He's still got plenty of time to become that guy.  But yesterday's game was clearly a step in the wrong direction.

It's easy to make excuses about Allen's "hero ball" moments.  Yes, every QB makes those kinds of throws occasionally when trying too hard to make a play.  The problem with Allen, is that he keeps doing the same thing EVERY SINGLE WEEK and it's not registering in his head.  He did it in the preseason.  He did it Week 1 and Week 3.  Then he did it twice against the Patriots yesterday.  Defenses are learning to bait Allen into those throws, and he's just not learning from his mistakes.  Anytime a young QB starts making the same mistakes over and over, it should set-off the alarm bells.  We could have lost both the Jets and Bengals games because of those throws, and it's totally fair to say we lost to the Patriots because of the INTs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

How many games are you going to give the kid? Thats always the answer Bills fans give. I'm sorry but their is QBs in their first season who already look better then Allen. Minshew in Jacksonville has played much better in his first 4 games. Has a completion % of 69% and 7 TDs to 1 int. 

32 games minimum.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Nope.  Josh either had little to no time to throw or, on the occasions he did have time, he was holding the ball too long which tells me that our receivers weren't getting separation from the #1 ranked secondary in the league.  I blame Josh for the ill-advised long interceptions or not throwing the ball out of bounds when nothing is there.  What I don't like at all is his hard count.  It seems to be the same thing almost every time;  he hard counts like he's trying to get the defense to jump offside and the ball is snapped after the third time, almost like clockwork.