Have You Started To Lose Faith in Josh Allen?

I was at the game Sunday and there was 1 reason the Bills lost the game.  They lost the game for one reason - Josh Allen.  He was absolutely putrid at QB.  I’m a big fan of Allen but he was THE reason why we lost.  

We’re starting to get to the point where you can’t use the whole “lack of experience” excuses for Allen.  For all the progress be seemed to make, we still see him revert back to the traits (holding onto the ball, poor footwork passing up short routes, inaccuracies) from college.  

We saw on Sunday that the thing he does well, scrambling, leaves his open for huge cheap shots to the head.  

He also doesn’t seem to be elevating the offense either.  Take a look at how much better NYG has been since Daniel Jones took over last week.  Or how much better Cleveland was behind Baker and not Tyrod.  Or to a MUCH lesser extent Gardiner Minshew in Jacksonville.   Allen has struggled to generate much more than 20 points per game.

So have you lost faith in Josh Allen?

If you haven’t lost faith, what give you hope that he will eventually start elevating the offense?  

I’m completely on the fence, but trending toward skepticism, unfortunately. 

Edited by Phil The Thrill
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

I am a big Josh supporter but I thought he played poorly against Cincinnati.  I didn't see the game yesterday but it sounded bad.  Real bad.

That being said, I feel about this game like I felt about the Texans game last year: i.e. if Josh was there at the end the Bills would have won.  

I also now think that this weeks Titans game is the inflection point for the season.  Win, we rise, lose, we fall.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I was at the game Sunday and there was 1 reason the Bills lost the game.  They lost the game for one reason - Josh Allen.  He was absolutely putrid at QB.  I’m a big fan of Allen but he was THE reason why we lost.  

We’re starting to get to the point where you can’t use the whole “lack of experience” excuses for Allen.  For all the progress be seemed to make, we still see him revert back to the traits (holding onto the ball, poor footwork passing up short routes, inaccuracies) from college.  

We saw on Sunday that the thing he does well, scrambling, leaves his open for huge cheap shots to the head.  

He also doesn’t seem to be elevating the offense either.  Take a look at how much better NYG has been since Daniel Jones took over last week.  Or how much better Cleveland was behind Baker and not Tyrod.  Or to a MUCH lesser extent Gardiner Minshew in Jacksonville.   Allen has struggled to generate much more than 20 points per game.

So have you lost faith in Josh Allen?

If you haven’t lost faith, what give you hope that he will eventually start elevating the offense?  

I’m completely on the dense, but trending toward skepticism, unfortunately. 

HaHaHaHaHa - yeah I could tell from your post all last week you are a big fan.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

The deep balls concern me but this New England defense is unreal. BB is a master vs young qbs and Allen didn’t have an answer. 1 bad game out of four isn’t concerning, yet.

He made Mahomes look bad too last year.

• Like (+1) 5

Not even close. If you were at the game and couldn’t feel and see that Josh was bringing them back, than you either haven’t watched a lot of football or don’t want Josh to be the answer.

a lot of the great quarterbacks play terrible games and then win them in the end. That’s what Josh was getting ready to do before the cheap shot. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

No but I am losing faith in the OC developing a game plan that helps the young QB develop and the OL that is getting killed

Blaming Daboll comes off as scapegoating.  I think he’s a good OC.  You can’t blame Daboll for the times when Josh holds the ball, throws INT’s, or misfires on deep passes.  He’s given Josh the ball and an opportunity to make plays - which is all you can ask

Part of the reason why he’s getting “killed” is because he’s not making fast enough decisions and/or getting rid of the football. 

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Not even close. If you were at the game and couldn’t feel and see that Josh was bringing them back, than you either haven’t watched a lot of football or don’t want Josh to be the answer.

a lot of the great quarterbacks play terrible games and then win them in the end. That’s what Josh was getting ready to do before the cheap shot. 

Unfortunately we’ll never what would have happened in the 2nd half had he not gotten hurt.

I do know that in the first half, Josh was the worst player on the field.  This has me concerned 

15 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

HaHaHaHaHa - yeah I could tell from your post all last week you are a big fan.

Do explain...

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Blaming Daboll comes off as scapegoating.  I think he’s a good OC.  You can’t blame Daboll for the times when Josh holds the ball, throws INT’s, or misfires on deep passes.  He’s given Josh the ball and an opportunity to make plays - which is all you can ask

Part of the reason why he’s getting “killed” is because he’s not making fast enough decisions and/or getting rid of the football. 

Unfortunately we’ll never what would have happened in the 2nd half had he not gotten hurt.

I do know that in the first half, Josh was the worst player on the field.  This has me concerned 

The worst or playing a position where mistakes are magnified?

Josh didn’t have a great game in the first half. He was leading his team back that I do know. Look at yards and points scored in second half vs first half. Bills were going to win that game until another cheap shot by a NE safety. Rodney Harrison was probably very proud. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Xwnyer said:

No but I am losing faith in the OC developing a game plan that helps the young QB develop and the OL that is getting killed

Allow me to remind Bills fans that in his 6 years as an NFL offensive coordinator for four different teams Brian Daboll has never fielded better than 23rd. in passing yards!

2009 Cleveland (5-11) Points for  29, Yards for 32. Passing yards that season 32nd

2010 Cleveland  (5-11). PF 31, YF 29. Passing yards that season 29th

2011 Miami (6-10). PF 20, YF 22. Passing yards that season 23rd

2012 Kansas (2-12) PF 32, YF 24. Passing yards that season 32nd

2018 Buffalo (6-10) PF 30, YF 30. Passing yards that season 31st.

2019 Buffalo (3-0) PF 17, YF 8. Passing yards in the first three games 19th

The Buffalo Bills just played the NE Patriots with the #1 defense in points allowed, #1 in yards allowed. The Bills scored the very first TD against that defense this season.  The 2018 SB winners with pro bowl, all pro ex Bills CB Stephon Gilmore!

So what does Brian Daboll call in that first series against that defense ...Pass, incomplete,  Pass, incomplete, 5 yard penalty (no play), Run, Run, Penalty (center ineligible downfield?) Penalty TE Lee Smith. 1st and 20 at Buffalo 30, Daboll calls for a deep middle pass to John Brown INT! 

Line playing poorly, penalties, and with Gore the Bills should should have come out running. Bills Blocked punt for 7 pts... Missed FG. Turnover on downs. Out coached on offense! 

• Like (+1) 4

Let me be clear .. he played bad yesterday .. that said .. lost faith .. ABSOLUTELY NOT

There are way too many positives than negatives with Josh.

He has one glaring mental weakness ... he can't throw the ball away .. he tries to extend plays too far, takes hits he shouldn't  and then heaves a jump ball in play.

Though I'm not a fan of the new back footed throwing technique he showed yesterday repeatedly  .. last year (after mid year) he hung in the pocket more ... not seeing that this year.

That said ... net of a blocked punt (not Josh's fault) and to play as bad as he did and be that close .. the team is vastly improved and Josh is a part of that.

3-1 ... equates to 12-4 if same performance

• Like (+1) 2