Brian Daboll's nearly successful halftime adjustment: TJ Yeldon

2 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

I to see an undependable player in Yeldon. I cringe whenever they try to run with him. He has been more of a receiving threat even before he came here, yet he does seem to bobble the ball way more than anyone should. I wanted him cut and kept Murphy instead.

Agreed. If the Bills were not going to get him a 3-4 targets a game Murphy should of been kept.

No joke...I was screaming at the TV all first half yelling for Daboll to get Knox and Yeldon involved to give Josh more easy places to go with the ball and get in more a rhythm.  I had a BIG issue with how Daboll called this game and his personnel choices.  Second half, he does this exact thing...Touchdown.  I mean this isnt rocket science Daboll.  

I almost threw my beer at the TV when on a critical 3rd down passing play in first half.  He went EMPTY backfield with 4 receivers (2 on each side) and the left receivers were none other than Gore and DiMarco.  WTF Daboll!!!!!!  We all said before the play is snapped there is no way we convert this...which we did not.  How is Gore and DiMarco our only 2 receives on the left side of the field?  Why the hell are they not actual receivers or TE's or even Yeldon?  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No joke...I was screaming at the TV all first half yelling for Daboll to get Knox and Yeldon involved to give Josh more easy places to go with the ball and get in more a rhythm.  I had a BIG issue with how Daboll called this game and his personnel choices.  Second half, he does this exact thing...Touchdown.  I mean this isnt rocket science Daboll.  

I almost threw my beer at the TV when on a critical 3rd down passing play in first half.  He went EMPTY backfield with 4 receivers (2 on each side) and the left receivers were none other than Gore and DiMarco.  WTF Daboll!!!!!!  We all said before the play is snapped there is no way we convert this...which we did not.  

I remember that too, and had the same thought. I mean, Daboll has some decent tools to work with, and sometimes he does a good job with them, but then other times like these I’m just left scratching my head. Very frustrating, I think this offense could do a LOT better with the players we have.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I remember that too, and had the same thought. I mean, Daboll has some decent tools to work with, and sometimes he does a good job with them, but then other times like these I’m just left scratching my head. Very frustrating, I think this offense could do a LOT better with the players we have.

Yeah, and I have been a fan of Daboll.  But there are times he has been maddening this year in his use of personnel and play calling.  Sometimes I feel like he is getting in his own way trying to be too cute and creative.  Even Brown said its the most complicated offense he has ever been in.  Nothing wrong with that, except we have a 2nd year QB who doesnt even have a full season of games yet on his resume and 8 of our 11 players on offense are new.  

Think it would help the offense find a rhythm more if he just focused on putting the right players out there to best execute a given play and keep it simpler early in the games.  I mean, its silly how little he has used Knox, especially early in games as well as guys like Yeldon out to the backfield to help Josh get into a groove.  Yeldon does little for me as a runner, but he's a pretty nice receiver out of the backfield to give Josh a nice safety valve, especially while Devin was hurt.  

Not using Knox enough or early in games, not trying to get Foster and McKenzie more involved, not getting Yeldon involved earlier in passing work, etc has been puzzling.  

• Like (+1) 1

Nearly successful?  I guess that's a definitely maybe.

No one player "lost" the game. 

We're going to find out how Daboll adjusts to opposing defenses now that NE has figured a way to disrupt Allen.  Keeping him in the pocket requires the OC to innovate a little more, albeit with perhaps less at the skill positions.

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

Nearly successful?  I guess that's a definitely maybe.

No one player "lost" the game. 

We're going to find out how Daboll adjusts to opposing defenses now that NE has figured a way to disrupt Allen.  Keeping him in the pocket requires the OC to innovate a little more, albeit with perhaps less at the skill positions.

Get the ball outta his hands short yards and when defense adjust opens up the deep pass.. OC has to call shorter passes and adjust when they adjust to it.