Can Sean become a great game-day coach?

Stallions

I love his enthusiasm and organizational skills.  He puts a competitive team on the field each week and that's a big plus over our past few HC's.

The Bills have a great defense (Sean's specialty) and have invested a lot of money into the offense over the past year.

IMO he is just too nervous, hyper and 'jumpy' to be a great game day coach.  Too much sideline arguing with officials, poor decisions on challenges and a lack of discipline when critical plays  need to me made on offense.  He seems to make knee-jerk calls on 4th downs and is especially poor in game appropriate strategy decisions  regarding the overall flow of the game.

Please Sean - calm down.

Happens to a lot of young head coaches. I can understand his frustration, but from what's been said here in the gameday thread, there were some penalties "given" to the Pats. Officials are getting far too much protection from justified criticism. I get that blown calls are gonna happen, but it just seems that more happen against the Bills at home for whatever reason. And that I imagine is even more frustrating when the offense isn't playing to their abilities

I actually thought he managed the game well today. I liked both 4th and goal decisions— have to play to win to beat the Patriots. 

The reality though is that there are very few excellent game day coaches. Most are terrible.  It’s why I think it’s odd that more teams don’t just have a separate “game day coach” who will make those key decisions on game day— eg, when to go for it, when to challenge. 

definitely not a banner day for McDermott.  A bunch of issues today, but the worst I think was not kicking the FG on the 4th and goal. Backup QB against a top defense, not a good recipe for success. Three point game changes things on that final drive.

I think he is a very good coach overall and I have been tough on him, but he doesn't value or use timeouts well, he doesn't choose challenges well ( which I don't usually blame on HC), which are very important qualities. It's not easy but he really needs to be better. We rarely have timeouts to use late in games. I thought the easy choice was take the points on fourth down today when Barkley is your QB and the defense is playing lights out but it's not a complete no brainer. I think it's easy but a lot of people I respect don't. 

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I actually thought he managed the game well today. I liked both 4th and goal decisions— have to play to win to beat the Patriots. 

The reality though is that there are very few excellent game day coaches. Most are terrible.  It’s why I think it’s odd that more teams don’t just have a separate “game day coach” who will make those key decisions on game day— eg, when to go for it, when to challenge. 

Apparently not.

Have to play smart to beat the Patriots. Eliminate mistakes on the field and from the coaches. Too many mistakes in a game where the defense was incredible.

I liked the call going for it on 4th down.  You play to win to beat the patriots.  The pass interference challenge and the other one were bad.  Someone in the booth he relays the information to the coach needs to be yelled at.

He didn't lose us the game.  

Call down.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, klos63 said:

definitely not a banner day for McDermott.  A bunch of issues today, but the worst I think was not kicking the FG on the 4th and goal. Backup QB against a top defense, not a good recipe for success. Three point game changes things on that final drive.

Agreed!  The last Bills drive could have been for a tie and not desperation!!!

Most concerned with McD's vision of how to win in the modern NFL because ownership accorded him so much power for a first time HC.    

They've invested a ton on defense in years 1-3 and waited until off-season 3 to begin doing something real on offense (save for drafting Allen).  On draft day or in UFA during off-seasons 1 and 2 they've been real sketchy on picking offensive players.  Not going to judge the 2019 guys just yet.  

The other thing is McD has made some very questionable coaching choices.  He fired Dennison after one season, retained then fired Crossman, is on his 3rd WR coach, and of course finally had to fire Juan Castillo.  The offensive side of the ball seems out of kilter.  Daboll isn't inspiring much at the moment either and a HC only gets so many swings at coordinators before it points back on him.    

Game-day decisions always get the most attention because you can't miss those moments.  The bigger issue is what is happening before the games are played.  Bottom line is McD is 18-18  and 5 of those losses have come against NE.  He's also only 6-8 in the division now.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

Since he’s been around, I think there’s plenty to criticize regarding “game day” type stuff. Especially his horrible challenges and multiple instances of poor clock management. But I disagree totally with the going for it on 4th. I think he knew that was the chance and you can’t just assume that we’d be back in that scoring position. If Allen is in there, I agree you take the 3. Backup qb, gotta go for the home run.

3 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Agree. Only thing I disliked was the first challenge on the forward progress / spot. Forward progress is not reviewable so at that point you are arguing about millimeters on a spot and they are never overturned. 

The 2nd challenge was definitely worth challenging. Could have been a game ending play had the D not held firm in a goalline stand and it was definitely an attempt at an illegal pick. The Pats guy just missed the defender he was supposed to be picking but his presence was enough to cause the defender to lose his balance. 

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

I totally disagree. With a backup QB and two plays from the 2 you have to go for the points there and then. We never got back in FG range again for what its worth and the worst that happens if you don't get it is Brady is starting under his own posts and the chances are you get decent field position for another shot. I 100% believe it was the right decision. You can't guarantee you get another chance. 

What I hated was Daboll's call on the 3rd down from the two. I think you run Frank straight ahead rather than asking him to run that counter type play to the weak side. 

• Like (+1) 1

This team does emulate its head coaxh. Sean seemed a little over amped today and so did the team. On Defense it worked out, but you can play wide open and instinctively on d and be productive. On O you got to keep a level of calmness and channel emotion on certain drives.

Sean is getting better, strange the team is too! :)

All I can do is laugh at people that make these threads.

McDermott and his staff put a game plan together that should have won a ball game yesterday against a dominant football team.

What more are they supposed to do? Suit up and play?

6 hours ago, Stallions said:

I love his enthusiasm and organizational skills.  He puts a competitive team on the field each week and that's a big plus over our past few HC's.

The Bills have a great defense (Sean's specialty) and have invested a lot of money into the offense over the past year.

IMO he is just too nervous, hyper and 'jumpy' to be a great game day coach.  Too much sideline arguing with officials, poor decisions on challenges and a lack of discipline when critical plays  need to me made on offense.  He seems to make knee-jerk calls on 4th downs and is especially poor in game appropriate strategy decisions  regarding the overall flow of the game.

Please Sean - calm down.

Um, if not for a few mistakes by his young QB and a cheap shot to that same QB he would have beat Belicheat.

He's still got to learn, for sure.  I was happy to see him go for it on the Josh Allen touchdown but he should have taken the points on 4th down in fourth quarter.  First, we then just need a FG to tie and that takes a lot of stress off Barkley against a premier defense.  Second, if NE had managed to kick a late FG we would have needed two scores (9 pts) to catch them.

Aggressive, but situational coaching.