I know it and you know it, Josh Allen was about to take the game over.

BillsBlue

6 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

My honest opinion is this, he's on the cusp of getting to the next level, he just needs to turn the corner and learn that certain throws ie when he's on his back foot or falling backwards are just plain not an option(also throws into double coverage), if he cuts these out of his game and we can also have him throw with Duke a ton (I want Allen inactive next week and basically effectively benched to learn his lesson about playing hero ball and just toning it down a smidge) and get ready for the game after the bye(obviously I want Zays snaps given to Duke from the game after the bye onwards)  and we should sit singletary till then too imo to come out hot and make a major playoff run the rest of the year.  It's a rare opportunity to bench Allen without controversy with a perfectly acceptable excuse so he can watch a game from the sideline picking dabolls mind and correcting his thought process via mental snaps. 

Yes. He needs to master that acceptable intentional grounding that Brady made in the game.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dlonce said:

Because Brady dumps the ball off at the closet hint of pressure.

Helps when you don’t get called for grounding even when you fling it blindly into the ground over your shoulder as you run screaming from the rush.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That's not knowing. It's called wishful thinking. It might have happened. Or it might not. But there's no particular reason to think he would have.

What we do know is that after the TD, the Bills drives looked like this till Allen was knocked out of the game:

1st: (3rd quarter, 9:00) 6 plays, totaling -14 yards, PUNT

2nd: (3rd quarter, 5:27) 3 plays, totaling 9 yards, INTERCEPTION

3rd: (3rd quarter, 0:58) 12 plays, totaling 62 yards (however, Allen was injured on the fourth play, after making 27 yards, though the penalty on the hit on Allen added to that)

So, from the TD to the injury, they had 13 plays totalling 22 yards. In those two-and-a-half drives, Allen went 2 for 5 for 22 yards and an interception. He did also scramble twice for seven yards each and had a sack for -11, so he totaled three yards on the scrambles and the sack.

I don't see any evidence there that he'd cracked the code before he got injured.

Frankly, I had more confidence when Barkley came into the game as he was less likely to force anything.  The pick he threw was the result of the RT blocking down and allowing the DE a free shot at the QB instead of a bad decision.  Barkley had almost as many passing yards, 127 to 153 as Allen in 12 fewer attempts.  To me that just screams experience and comprehension of what the defense is doing.  

Allen needs to clean up his mental mistakes.  The interceptions were unacceptable and poor decisions along with taking too many sacks rather than just throwing the ball away or looking for the check down.  Sure he makes some great plays at times when improvising but he needs to develop his game to be consistent.  That said the coaching staff produced a very poor game plan for Allen to execute.  The Patriots defense did exactly what I and each and every one of us knew they were going to run.  8 or 9 in the box with heavy pressure.  I've been watching NE defenses do this to the Bills offense for 15 years and am still waiting for a coaching staff to develop and execute something different.  And the fact that they didn't much of anything different like quick screens to the sidelines or sweeps to the parameter to name a couple is discouraging.  During the week I was hoping for a heavy dose of double TE with Knox and Sweeney to counter stacking the box and didn't get much of that at all.  For Allen and the offense to succeed against the top defenses the game plan needs to be a little more creative.      

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Wow, the level of delusion here is astonishing. Did anyone watch Allen play the first three quarters? One good drive, 3 picks plus a bunch of other back-foot throws, every throw was off target, then nearly got himself killed trying to be a hero. He had NOTHING yesterday. 

Edited by skibum
  • Like (+1) 1

Great take on things, OP.  Nice to get that perspective on how things were trending for the offense.  I missed that nice 3rd quarter drive (because that's my luck) so I didn't have a proper perspective on the game when I came back to watch it after that.  I'm hearing that Allen came out of halftime a different QB.  Quick and decisive and accurate.  They figured something out and it seemed to be working.  That really means something against BB.  Sounds like a lot of people are confident he was getting on a roll before that f****ing cheap shot knocked him out, literally, of the game. 

(Stepping up on my soap box) Allen really does have to learn to protect himself better though.  We all love how he gives 100% of himself on each and every play for the team.  I see what he was thinking on that play and it's not his fault his arms were wrapped up like that.  But if he slides and gets hit anywhere near the same, the Patsies get a huge penalty to give the O a big boost on that drive.  Well that's my theory anyway.  Hind sight is 20/20 as they say.  I will never, ever get tired of Allen's heart and commitment to the team.  The kid is tough... probably too tough. 

Anyway, now I have a much better perspective of how things were going before that nasty cheap shot.  Appreciate ya!

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dlonce said:

Really don’t care. I have a Bills medical connection along with a couple guys inside.

Ive called injuries before, with the skepticism of the previous board I was on, only to be proven correct.

I rarely post here, or anywhere.

Doesnt matter, it is what it is.

Care a little though right...enough to have replied:).  It is what it is.

8 hours ago, dlonce said:

Agree. JA was our best chance to win. That game plan was terrible, and should have been quick one to two step drops with the ball out.

Dabol did a terrible job.

From what I understand that was part of the game plan, but Allen was not making use of those options. Either those guys were not getting open, or Allen was not reading correctly.

7 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Do you know what it requires?  Can you tell us?  Seriously.  Just want to know what it requires.

When the Doctor holds up 3 fingers and asks " how many" ?  and you answer Wednesday your probably concussed ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dlonce said:

Yes, it’s a series of questions along with a physicians diagnosis. I know because I’ve been involved with it.

The type of hit taken requires a 100% full clear exam. The least bit of an issue keeps a guy from returning, even if he  fails one question. Absurd as the question is, like what down was it.

It can take an hour or longer, depending  on the type of hit and if the player appeared to be injured by it.

I am connected with the physicians involved. I’m told Allen will return next week unless he exhibits headaches.

Appreciate this good info.  He was knocked out cold immediately.  I would think that makes this particular incident rise to a certain level automatically which may (or may not) explain the trip to the locker room with no return.  If he is back for the next game I'll be extremely happy but I'd think they aren't apt to rush it if he's exhibiting any lingering effects at all.  He was out cold for a good little bit out there. 

4 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

How about we talk about where he is now and you stop spinning.

Who is this?

575 completions-326-56%  26TDs 28Ints 3739 passing yards  6.5 Y/A

Who he is now? He just threw 3 picks and cost the team a huge game? Where is he? After that shot he took yesterday, I’m sure he’d like to know as well.

Try to stop acting like a kid with 13TD passes to 18 Ints is a sure thing at the hardest position to play in sports.

9 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Who he is now? He just threw 3 picks and cost the team a huge game? Where is he? After that shot he took yesterday, I’m sure he’d like to know as well.

Try to stop acting like a kid with 13TD passes to 18 Ints is a sure thing at the hardest position to play in sports.

I actually was just thinking this last night after the game. I really like Josh Allen and his competitiveness I really do. I think he’s a stand up guy for Buffalo has all the physical tools and I’m far from saying give up on him. 

But when do you have to start thinking man maybe its just not gonna happen despite these qualities.  He went 10 TDs 12 picks last year and this year so far he’s 3 TDs and 6 picks. 

I know there are some excuses in there, like terrible 2018 offense around him and a lot of the interceptions are correctable, but what troubles me is he keeps making the same mistakes despite being coached to limit mistakes. Still chucking the ball up out of desperation despite getting picked numerous time is one example. The first interception to McCourty played vividly in my mind. It was the same Corner Post route he threw to Robert Foster the week before  that the safety dropped. It was the same exact play. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

What a tough way to lose the game!!!! Roast me, call me crazy but I've seen it in every 4th q comeback he's had all of a sudden he hits a groove and starts making plays left and right. It started to happen at the last bit of play before the 2nd q ended, Allen figured out their defense and started going to work. He came out in the third quarter and put in work and by the end of the third quarter it was evident he was putting the team on his back and willing another 4th q comeback. Hell I'd bet anything that he would've gotten into the endzone on 1 of the 3 or 4 chances Barkley had when he ran out of downs. At the end of the day New England knew they had to knock Allen out of the game once he got rolling. 

In summation- If Allen wasn't cheap shotted we win that game. Does he need to change his decisions and not throw off his back foot while being hit??? Yes, is he as clutch as it gets when the game is on the line??? Absolutely

Ps- Gore should've gotten more touches, Knox needs to be fed he has hands of glue, bring up the Duke and bench Zay(ps I was a big Zay supporter in the past). 

He came back against the CJ Mosely-less Jets and the Bengals. He wasn't facing the Jets and the Bengals yesterday, but the best defense in the league. Past production against doormats is not a predictor of future late-game success against actual good teams. He was horrible yesterday. 

34 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Allen did not look good at all yesterday.  I don't think you can count on him turning it on against a very good D, although he would have been better than Barkley.

Imo I didn't see anyone getting open for Allen at all for 90% of the first half, then we made adjustments towards the end of the first half and came out moving the ball and completing passes the second half and we gained momentum then they took Allen out. This kid is a gamer he plays his best with the game on the line and we were about to see it unfold again he does this often and he got his stride and got hot only to get knocked out. I still there no this kid has it, remember he's throwing to all new players mostly, who's the holdover?? Zay?? Cmon man he's still below 16 starts he's about to turn the corner imo, remember how well he played after injury last year ??

I thought there was a good chance he / we would have won it.  Unfortunately we'll never know....

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

Allen did not look good at all yesterday.  I don't think you can count on him turning it on against a very good D, although he would have been better than Barkley.

he already did!  witness the scoring drive- the FIRST TD on NEW ENGLAND OF THE SEASON!!!