An observation on Josh Allen's three picks

Simon

It was definitely a shared blame for what happened out there. Josh was certainly the biggest contributor the yesterdays issues on offense , but the pass protection allowed a ton of quick penetration too, and from varied locations along the line all day.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

It was definitely a shared blame for what happened out there. Josh was certainly the biggest contributor the yesterdays issues on offense , but the pass protection allowed a ton of quick penetration too, and from varied locations along the line all day.

I think "shared blame" is the best way to put it.

Re: Zay Jones - I've been behind him since he was drafted.  I keep saying, "he's gonna get it this year."  He's not.  I think it's time for him to be gone and for Duke to brought up.

I am a huge Josh Allen fan (still every bit as much after yesterday).  Those who "know," me will understand the gravity of this .... he reminded me of Tyrod yesterday.  Held the ball WAY too long; made horrible decisions - and he was more careless with the ball than TT ever was.

The loss was a team effort, but I think it's mostly on Josh.  He had the worst game of his very young career.  

And I don't give a crap.  He's still the best QB we've had since Kelly and I still think the kid is gonna be a superstar.

Sometimes you're the pigeon; sometimes you're the statue.  

Tomorrow's another day.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

A lot of it seemed to be the result of miscommunication as opposed to guys just getting whipped.

I wonder if all the jacking around they've done with the Oline has contributed to some of these issues.

Hope all's well, man.... :beer:

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, he definitely got et by the bahr yesterday

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The second INT wasn't even all that dumb of a decision, it was just a horrible pass, about 6-7 yards short. It's probably a TD if he throws a good pass, Zay was well behind the CB.

I just thought he was late with the throw.

That little hop back he took cost him the quarter second that would have put the ball in that same spot earlier enough that Zay can run into it.

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

if he catches it of course.

Even if he does catch it, you know he's going straight to the ground :doh:

Just now, Simon said:

I just thought he was late with the throw.

That little hop back he took cost him the quarter second that would have put the ball in that same spot earlier enough that Zay can run into it.

That, too. But Zay was well behind the defender when the ball was thrown. He cannot track it well enough to see it is going to be WAY short so he doesnt contend it. But if Josh throws it deeper it's likely a TD. People, including myself, had been saying Allen made these three terrible decisions or hero ball but it just isn't true. There were two of those. The second INT was just a bad pass to an open WR.

• Like (+1) 1

...it was Allen's 15th start.....with NINE new starters on offense....bad decisions, pressing to make it happen?...of course........that learning curve won't happen overnight.......perhaps we should have listened to the TBD pundits and signed Cousins instead.....problem solved (COUGH)......

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, finn said:

The Patriots defense reminded me of Belichick's scheme against the Bills in the first Super Bowl. He shut down the pass and dared the Bills to run. When they did, Thurman scorched them, much like Gore did yesterday. But Kelly kept trying to throw into heavy coverage, much like Allen yesterday. The difference is that Kelly was Kelly and Allen is Allen. My point is that Daboll should have recognized that he was in a defensive battle and gone conservative: runs and short throws to the RBs and TEs. Not to take Allen off the hook. But even then you could say it's on Daboll. When he saw Allen was off, he could have done worse than simply run every single down, every one, even at the cost of three and out. 

He gave Allen too much rope and Josh hung himself with bad decisions.  Maybe the Bills coaching staff thinks Allen is further along than what he really is. We also dont know what the primary reads were on a of the bad decisions Allen made.  Allen is so gifted physically he is once again trying to do too much instead of making the simple low risk play.  I will say the play calling early could have incorporated some quick rhythm throws and maybe more draws and some screens to get him going. 

19 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Zay did fight somewhat for the one on the side line. What I saw today was a lack of Allen rolling to his left. I just noticed it today. I will keep an eye on that. It also seemed as though Belichick knew Allen rolled to his right  more often than left.

Everyone in the league knows Allen rolls out to his right. He should try climbing the pocket sometimes or just throw the ball away. Hopefully he learned a few somethings. 

Edited by BBills88

Ah! The Zay Jones problem, the receiver who has a viable catch area of about 6-12". If the ball is anywhere outside of this area then he is able to make it look like a horribly inaccurate throw has been made and not his fault. He continues to run away and make it look like he was badly underthrown. If the ball is out front of him in the end zone he will slow up and make it look like he was lead by a horribly inaccurate throw. If all else fail then you drop the ball, and by any means fall to the ground and make it look like you were attempting an outstanding catch on a horribly inaccurate throw by the QB. Whatever you do never ever make the QB look good!

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

43 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think "shared blame" is the best way to put it.

Re: Zay Jones - I've been behind him since he was drafted.  I keep saying, "he's gonna get it this year."  He's not.  I think it's time for him to be gone and for Duke to brought up.

I am a huge Josh Allen fan (still every bit as much after yesterday).  Those who "know," me will understand the gravity of this .... he reminded me of Tyrod yesterday.  Held the ball WAY too long; made horrible decisions - and he was more careless with the ball than TT ever was.

The loss was a team effort, but I think it's mostly on Josh.  He had the worst game of his very young career.  

And I don't give a crap.  He's still the best QB we've had since Kelly and I still think the kid is gonna be a superstar.

Tomorrow's another day.

I agree with most of that. Still very encouraged overall by Allen and his improvements from last season too. Once developed (if he gets there of course) he'll be one of the hardest Qb's to defend in the game.

45 minutes ago, Simon said:

A lot of it seemed to be the result of miscommunication as opposed to guys just getting whipped.

I wonder if all the jacking around they've done with the Oline has contributed to some of these issues.

Hope all's well, man.... :beer:

You too Simon thx! ?

And I forgot to mention - I think Josh may have held the ball a bit longer yesterday also due to the Pats defenders being all over our route combinations. There really weren't a lot of open receivers yesterday (other than the already noted missed outlets a couple times).

• Like (+1) 2

I agree that the three throws were bad decisions.

That said, however, this guy has a cannon for an arm.  The trajectory of the two deep interceptions was relatively flat making it easier for the DB to intercept.  Had he put more air under the ball, who can say what might have happened.  Compare the arching throw Barkley made to Brown (?) along the sideline for big yardage.  Tight coverage but the DB had no chance.

This game showed that, while the Bills are an improved team, they aren't in the Pat's league yet.  I especially liked the way the D kept Brady off balance for most of the game.

7 hours ago, Dr. K said:

God, to hear you guys talk you'd think Zay Jones was the sole reason the Bills lost, when he should be down below ten in the list of reasons for the loss. Here's my list:

1) Josh Allen's inaccuracy

2) Josh Allen's poor decision making

3) Josh Allen's hero ball

4) Josh Allen's poor ball security

5) Belichick's defensive strategy

6) Bills punt team

7) Lee Smith

? Bills o-line

9) McDermott's terrible challenges

10) McDermott's awful clock management

11) Zay Jones not playing defensive back on those two interceptions. 

12) Zay Jones not catching an uncatchable ball in the end zone. 

I don't have any emotional investment in Zay Jones. I just think this crusade is nuts. 

While Zay Jones may not directly be a huge reason for any Bills losses , many fans want to see a WR that can actually be the difference in a win. That’s not Zay. The Bills need better players at the WR position. 

11 hours ago, KW95 - JA17 said:

No one goes there, but ....Zay Should have been cut after the drop against the Panthers 2 years ago.  And especially after seeing Jesus!

Cheers

13 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

What amazed me is as well as Gore was running at times we never tried play action to try to get the D to bite on the run stop.  Really struggling with edge rushers especially on right side of the line.

They played Ford out there again at times. he is a guard, at least he is not playing tackle well against the pass rush

8 hours ago, simpleman said:

I hope they do activate Duke this week if Barkley starts for Allen while in protocol. He has been practicing with Barkley on the squad and in preseason a lot this year hasn't he? Never be a better time to give Duke a shot to prove it or lose it. Can't be much worse than Zay has ever been.

good call !

2 hours ago, Simon said:

If you do have the stomach for a rewatch, consider that it wasn't just the breakdowns in protection. The biggest problem I had with them was the absurd amount of penalties they were taking, often at the worst times possible. Adding up the accepted, declined or offsetting calls, that single unit may well have drawn 10 flags all by themselves, most of them absolute drive killers or that led indirectly to Allen trying to push the ball down the field when they were behind schedule on down/distance.

Not absolving Josh of his foolishness but between the OLine and Zay, that young QB spent much of his day working uphill.

Someone on the Pats was sure in Lee Smiths head  ... yikes !

37 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

While Zay Jones may not directly be a huge reason for any Bills losses , many fans want to see a WR that can actually be the difference in a win. That’s not Zay. The Bills need better players at the WR position. 

Its true... The types of catches that are regularly being made by John Brown are the type of catches you see being made across the league on some of the better teams by multiple receivers on those teams. All had a role to play yesterday (and at other times this season) even though Allen was most responsible for the poor plays out there in that game.

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Ah! The Zay Jones problem, the receiver who has a viable catch area of about 6-12". If the ball is anywhere outside of this area then he is able to make it look like a horribly inaccurate throw has been made and not his fault. He continues to run away and make it look like he was badly underthrown. If the ball is out front of him in the end zone he will slow up and make it look like he was lead by a horribly inaccurate throw. If all else fail then you drop the ball, and by any means fall to the ground and make it look like you were attempting an outstanding catch on a horribly inaccurate throw by the QB. Whatever you do never ever make the QB look good!

your name is appropo

i laughed

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

No Daboll forgot what Allen’s weaknesses were and called a terrible game....

My personal favorite was the 1st down QB draw on a short field.

If he ever calls that up again, I hope Allen hits his drop and instead of pulling it down he turns and fires a high screamer right at Daboll

• Awesome! (+1) 1