Sign in to follow this  
JR in Pittsburgh

Where is Dick Jauron when you need him?

Don’t get me wrong— I love the offensive play-calling so far this season.

But with this defense we have— you gotta wonder whether we would be better off going run-run-pass and playing for field position. 

We we win this game today probably 9-0 if we don’t turn the ball over and Gore runs relatively well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Meh 3
  • Skeptical 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

We we win this game today probably 9-0 if we don’t turn the ball over and Gore runs relatively well. 

No, because the game flow isn’t the same with Jauron level playcalling. The Patriots would stack the box all day and you never cross midfield.

Also, regardless of defensive strength, you aren’t winning too many NFL games with such a conservative approach. In this scenario, the team may have lost the field position battle getting stuffed every drive, and ultimately lost by more...

Edited by eanyills
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, eanyills said:

No, because the game flow isn’t the same with Jauron level playcalling. The Patriots would stack the box all day and you never cross midfield.

Also, regardless of defensive strength, you aren’t winning too many NFL games with such a conservative approach. In this scenario, the team may have lost the field position battle getting stuffed every drive, and ultimately lost by more...

Yeah, you could be right. Hindsight is 20-20 too. Again, like I said, I have loved the play calling all year. Very smart stuff. It’s just that a low-risk philosophy is so appealing with how great this D is.

9 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

But with this defense we have— you gotta wonder whether we would be better off going run-run-pass and playing for field position. 

Obviously, the way it turned out. But you aren't going to win a Super Bowl playing Jauron Ball.

It's hard to find Dick Jauron in the NFL when you need him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

You love the play-calling so far?

1 minute ago, Doc said:

You love the play-calling so far?

Theoretically, yes. Spread them out; lots of intermediate option routes; pass to set up the run. It has been good, IMO. 

game plan & play calls have been adequate, the execution not so much. But in theory as your 2nd year QB learns that should improve, along with the chemistry with the wrs as well.

There were plays to be made out there today, they just didnt execute them

Edited by brianthomas

11 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Theoretically, yes. Spread them out; lots of intermediate option routes; pass to set up the run. It has been good, IMO. 

Not today.

Weird post. Jauron was the lowest of the low of Bills coaches since I was born in 81. You want him back, I'm sure hes available  as a butler or cleaning lady at the right price.

With this defense I was thinking Melvin Gordon would be our most beneficial trade. Gore, Singletary and Gordon would definitely get this team into the playoffs and take a lot of pressure off Allen.

Wow. A close loss to the SB champs really brings out the most moronic posts. 

Dabol actually went to run-run-pass a bunch in the second quarter when it became clear Josh was in full on deer-in-the-headlights mode. That was a big part of what got Gore and the offense moving and actually kept us in the game. 

Edited by VW82

47 minutes ago, vincec said:

Obviously, the way it turned out. But you aren't going to win a Super Bowl playing Jauron Ball.

jauron had the amazing ability to drag other teams down to his own mediocrity. if he had  really good defense(the old bills D was HIGHLY overrated) he could have a 13 win season with run run pass. ..OH--i agree with you jauron ball does not equal SB

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

So you want our defense to be on the field even longer than they were today.  Sounds like real strategery.

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not today.

I don't think the play calling changed that much today...I think Allen was reverting (regressing?) to form...he was not looking, or possibly seeing, the intermediate receiving options that were open.  Not to say there were guys open on every play, but there were guys open on a number of plays, for smaller gains...Josh was too focused on going deeper, when it just wasn't there.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I don't think the play calling changed that much today...I think Allen was reverting (regressing?) to form...he was not looking, or possibly seeing, the intermediate receiving options that were open.  Not to say there were guys open on every play, but there were guys open on a number of plays, for smaller gains...Josh was too focused on going deeper, when it just wasn't there.

Gore was the only one Allen handed off to.  The TEs were targeted only 4 times.  

3 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Allen regressed a lot today.

On 9/29/2019 at 9:30 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Gore was the only one Allen handed off to.  The TEs were targeted only 4 times.  

Well, Devin Singletary was out, if you recall...the only other RB was TJ Yeldon, who did get involved in the passing game...as for targeting TE's that is as much on Allen as the play calling.  Allen seemed hell bent on going long, even when TE's, RB's and slot guys were open for intermediate passes...I could be wrong, but given his animated conversations with Allen after his interceptions, I don't think Dabol was insisting that Josh force the ball in to guys who were well covered...pretty sure he gave him the green-light to throw to tight ends if the were a better option. Josh just wasn't seeing the field.  I have heard people going out of their way to make excuses for Allen, but he was just awful on Sunday.  I like him a lot, but I am not blaming Dabol, the O-line or Zay Jones for this loss...I like Allen a lot, and was very pleased with the way he had been playing weeks 1-3, even if he was turning the ball over...but Sunday was as bad as it gets for him.