Why Belichick is so brilliant...

Big Turk

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

He challenges the other team's attention to detail constantly at all different points in the game. No better example of that today than the Pats leaving our gunner uncovered and forcing DiMarco to try and block two people.

Such a basic play...teams punt all the time and this situation almost never occurs because a team could easily throw the ball to a wide open player. But it did today and the Bills didn't pay attention to that detail.

One of three things SHOULD have happened:

1) The gunner moves inside and blocks his man

2) Bojo throws a pass to a wide open player for big yards since there was nothing but 50 yards of green between him and the returner

3) McD calls a TO to reset them and prepare for it.

The problem is NONE of these happened and the Pats get an easy TD off a blocked punt and it ended up costing us the game.

Against Belichick you cannot relax or lose your attention to detail at ANY point of the game or you will likely pay for it when you least expect it. Hopefully McD learned something from this game.

The bet here is that Bojo can’t throw the ball and that Belichick knows it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

The bet here is that Bojo can’t throw the ball and that Belichick knows it. 

He should...im sure they likely tested that when he was with them in the preseason just for cases like this...they know what they can take advantage of with all the players who were with them at some point and are no longer with them.

Our ST are a disaster, particularly the punting unit. I never understand why guys don't adjust formation when they see multiple free rushers. That goes for offense and special teams. Dimarco just sat there doing nothing. He's the special teams caption. McD is on year three of not getting this right. It's clearly a big weakness. 

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

Our ST are a disaster, particularly the punting unit. I never understand why guys don't adjust formation when they see multiple free rushers. That goes for offense and special teams. Dimarco just sat there doing nothing. He's the special teams caption. McD is on year three of not getting this right. It's clearly a big weakness. 

He has two guys and went for the inside guy, which is what he is supposed to do. 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He has two guys and went for the inside guy, which is what he is supposed to do. 

Sure but it should have been clear pre-snap that one of the Pats rushers would be uncovered. We had multiple guys lined up inside. Am I to believe that when that happens there's no recourse? We're just screwed? I'd rather take the penalty trying to communicate the mismatch and adjusting formation than let a free rusher in and hoping he doesn't get there before we get the punt off. 

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

A decent snap and it's not blocked. And Ferguson is a good snapper. Bellichick knew that Bojo is left footed obviously, and is slow to get the ball off. So he gambled and it worked. But it wouldn't have with a normal snap. 

Of course he knows Bjorkovich's weaknesses, he used to be his punter...

3 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Sure but it should have been clear pre-snap that one of the Pats rushers would be uncovered. We had multiple guys lined up inside. Am I to believe that when that happens there's no recourse? We're just screwed? I'd rather take the penalty trying to communicate the mismatch and adjusting formation than let a free rusher in and hoping he doesn't get there before we get the punt off. 

I was just responding to the fact you seemed to be blaming DiMarco. What is he supposed to do? He has to take the inside guy who is closer. It was a bad snap and Bojo is slow. That's the reason it was blocked. 

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

Off the top of my head, the Giants in a couple of games.  

McD is 0-5 and been outscored by 60 points combined by BB in the course of 5 regular season contests.   

But I see improvement, a closing of the gap. As Brady ages, and Josh learns, I like our chances. We we not run out of the stadium today. We will learn to play at that level and not be overwhelmed. 

13 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I was just responding to the fact you seemed to be blaming DiMarco. What is he supposed to do? He has to take the inside guy who is closer. It was a bad snap and Bojo is slow. That's the reason it was blocked. 

I am blaming Dimarco -- I mean sure, he made the right decision once the ball was snapped -- but he's the team captain; isn't he supposed to know when we aren't in alignment to block, especially when it happens right in front of him and it's blatantly obvious they had a free man?? I completely disagree that the snap is the main reason the kick was blocked. It was blocked because they had a free rush at Bojo.  

Edited by VW82

Just now, VW82 said:

I am blaming Dimarco -- I mean sure, he made the right decision once the ball was snapped -- but he's the team captain; isn't he supposed to know when we aren't in alignment to block, especially when it's blatantly obvious they had a free man?? I completely disagree that the snap is the main reason the kick was blocked. It was blocked because they had a free rush at Bojo.  

Guys have free rushes all the time from the outside. Part of the blame goes to the ST coach to some degree. I just don't blame DiMarco. He did what he is coached to. A good snap and it's not blocked IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Guys have free rushes all the time from the outside. Part of the blame goes to the ST coach to some degree. I just don't blame DiMarco. He did what he is coached to. A good snap and it's not blocked IMO. 

I agree our ST coach should take considerable blame as well. Maybe Dimarco is so poorly coached he doesn't have the freedom to adjust the line. Every team in the league should just overload one side from now on because we obviously have no answer for it.  

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

But I see improvement, a closing of the gap. As Brady ages, and Josh learns, I like our chances. We we not run out of the stadium today. We will learn to play at that level and not be overwhelmed. 

You can see what you'd like, but playing NE at home, with that crowd and making the mistakes they did today shows they're still another middle of the road team.

Did you know that McD's teams have scored 47 points in 5 games against BB?  Or that today marked the first time a McD coached team scored an offensive TD vs. NE with the game competitive?  

Did you know McD is 1 of 12 in challenges now?  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/McDeSe0.htm

The defense was great, but the offense is so far behind in execution that it's going to become an issue real fast between those two units.  

The opportunity was there today and it was squandered.  I see the same old problems under McD: turnovers, poor offense, bad game management decisions, et al.  I know some here are claiming that NE is better on defense than the '85 Bears :lol: but they're not.  If you are trying to be the best (which McD is) then you gotta beat the best...which is what Buffalo has a tendency not to do.  The last big win they had was a year ago against the Vikings.  Since then it's beating up on also-rans.   

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

You can see what you'd like, but playing NE at home, with that crowd and making the mistakes they did today shows they're still another middle of the road team.

Did you know that McD's teams have scored 47 points in 5 games against BB?  Or that today marked the first time a McD coached team scored an offensive TD vs. NE with the game competitive?  

Did you know McD is 1 of 12 in challenges now?  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/McDeSe0.htm

The defense was great, but the offense is so far behind in execution that it's going to become an issue real fast between those two units.  

The opportunity was there today and it was squandered.  I see the same old problems under McD: turnovers, poor offense, bad game management decisions, et al.  I know some here are claiming that NE is better on defense than the '85 Bears :lol: but they're not.  If you are trying to be the best (which McD is) then you gotta beat the best...which is what Buffalo has a tendency not to do.  The last big win they had was a year ago against the Vikings.  Since then it's beating up on also-rans.   

Have fun cherry picking the things that make you miserable. That must be a great life! Is it hard to ignore all the positive signs, or does that skill just come naturally to you? 

Look, there was some fugly stuff today. Yet we showed signs of progress, both year to year and half to half.  If you want to jump ship now, enjoy. See ya! I like our progress and trajectory. I think a lot of people need a cooling down period. Mostly because I’m a bit too tired to argue with the woe is me crowd!   ?

I’d be FAR more upset over a loss next week, yet it could certainly happen. And I’d STILL be on board.