Offensive tackle = biggest need

NewEra

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You doubt his ability to draft offensive players?  Based on what’s.

I’m pretty happy with Singletary and Knox in round 3.  I’m happy with Allen.  

Mccloud and Proehl were busts.  Of course they were busts.  Most 7th rd picks are.  

Teller in the 5th is a fine pick.  He was traded. 

That’s every offensive player he’s drafted 

I think they should have prioritized WR this year.  But you’re right; that’s not a deal-breaker.

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You doubt his ability to draft offensive players?  Based on what’s.

I’m pretty happy with Singletary and Knox in round 3.  I’m happy with Allen.  

Mccloud and Proehl were busts.  Of course they were busts.  Most 7th rd picks are.  

Teller in the 5th is a fine pick.  He was traded. 

That’s every offensive player he’s drafted 

You missed a few there.  They traded up for Zay, who as of today is officially not approved by almost every Bills fan.  Dawkins hasn't been better than average.  And now we're seeing that Cody Ford isn't an OT in this league and has to kick inside to a lesser valued position (RG).  Edit: They traded up for each of those guys and expended draft resources poorly.  

They've traded for the likes of Kelvin Benjamin, signed the likes of Ducasse, Bodine, and Newhouse along with other skill types like Andre Holmes, Mike Tolbert, and the oft-injured Tyler Kroft.  And let's not forget Mitch Morse has had some troubling concussion issues.  

One would hope Singletary and Knox are mainstays on this offense, but right now they're unknowns and rookies.  I wouldn't classify them as a done deal yet.  

And it goes without saying that their biggest decision on offense had a very shaky day (cue the "it's NE rhetoric).  

I see a trend here. 

Edited by BillsVet
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Didn't Baby Jesus Beane fix the O-line??  Coulda sworn...

He upgraded center for a while so long as Morse stays healthy. Slapped a one year band aid at left guard, although Spain has been good. But the Ty/Ford at right tackle has been a disaster. They need to upgrade both tackle spots this off season. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

You missed a few there.  They traded up for Zay, who as of today is officially not approved by almost every Bills fan.  Dawkins hasn't been better than average.  And now we're seeing that Cody Ford isn't an OT in this league and has to kick inside to a lesser valued position (RG).  Edit: They traded up for each of those guys and expended draft resources poorly.  

They've traded for the likes of Kelvin Benjamin, signed the likes of Ducasse, Bodine, and Newhouse along with other skill types like Andre Holmes, Mike Tolbert, and the oft-injured Tyler Kroft.  And let's not forget Mitch Morse has had some troubling concussion issues.  

One would hope Singletary and Knox are mainstays on this offense, but right now they're unknowns and rookies.  I wouldn't classify them as a done deal yet.  

And it goes without saying that their biggest decision on offense had a very shaky day (cue the "it's NE rhetoric).  

I see a trend here. 

You have no idea what you’re talking about.

Beane has nothing to do with Zay or Dawkins. We’re talking about Beane.  We didn’t draft kelvin. We were talking about Beane DRAFTING offensive players.

Ford has been a disappointment.....after 4 games. 

We had 340 yards.  Tom Brady’s led offense had 220.  

Edited by NewEra

2 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

He upgraded center for a while so long as Morse stays healthy. Slapped a one year band aid at left guard, although Spain has been good. But the Ty/Ford at right tackle has been a disaster. They need to upgrade both tackle spots this off season. 

Maybe next year....

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I mean did Zay even play in the pre-season.  As little as any of the starters  played, don't recall seeing him much which don't mean that in a negative way as hardly any starters play in the pre-season anymore league wide.

As far as Duke outplaying him, most of Dukes playing time was against other players who also aren't even on an NFL roster today either.

I do agree with the thread though, the biggest issue seems to be line play, don't worry about the WR

Zay did play in the pre-season, remember the pass he dropped at the goal line in the one game? He wasn't good in his limited action.

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You have no idea what you’re talking about.

Beane has nothing to do with Zay or Dawkins. We’re talking about Beane.  We didn’t draft kelvin. We were talking about Beane DRAFTING offensive players.

Ford has been a disappointment.....after 4 games. 

We had 340 yards.  Tom Brady’s led offense had 220.  

Tell me why Buffalo jumped right in front of Carolina to take Dawkins in 2017?  Think that was serendipity?  Not quite Hondo. If you think Brandon Beane wasn't involved from afar you may as well be an ostrich.  As for Zay, well, McD trusted the word of his former college coach over presumably his scouts.  Not a solid move for someone who himself had been in scouting.

If Ford is a disappointment after 4 games, then chalking up Singletary and Knox isn't yet appropriate either.  Can't take credit for plusses without acknowledging the minuses either.

They lost for the 5th straight time to NE where their offense was inept.  Buffalo has scored 1 offensive TD on NE in those 5 games when the game was on the line.  

The fact remains that offensive player personnel decisions, either pro or amateur, have been very pedestrian and does not portend greatness down the road. And now I see fans are demanding bigger receivers, which is what they had last year.  Guys who couldn't separate.  Now they have faster receivers who get out-muscled for balls.  

The GM and HC frequently are one step behind when it comes to offensive strategy. 

Edited by BillsVet

Just now, BillsVet said:

Tell me why Buffalo jumped right in front of Carolina to take Dawkins in 2017?  Think that was serendipity?  Not quite Hondo. If you think Brandon Beane wasn't involved from afar you may as well be an ostrich.  As for Zay, well, McD trusted the word of his former college coach over presumably his scouts.  Not a solid move for someone who himself had been in scouting.

If Ford is a disappointment after 4 games, then chalking up Singletary and Knox isn't yet appropriate either.  Can't take credit for plusses without acknowledging the minuses either.

They lost for the 5th straight time where their offense was inept.  

The fact remains that offensive player personnel decisions, either pro or amateur, have been very pedestrian and does not portend greatness down the road. And now I see fans are demanding bigger receivers, which is what they had last year.  Guys who couldn't separate.  Now they have faster receivers who get out-muscled for balls.  

The GM and HC frequently are one step behind when it comes to offensive strategy. 

You can make up as much stuff as you want. It doesn’t make it true

10 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I'm sorry if the truth hurts.  Reality is a dish best served cold and some people refuse to eat it.  

Sure thing man.  Continue to make things up and call them truth.  Goes a long way here 

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

So you think we should pay spain this offseason, start him and Feliciano while Ford rots away?

I want to see how the season plays out. But at this point not sure this oline can afford to lose its best performing guy. 

4 hours ago, mannc said:

He was a tackle at Okla.  they did not draft him to play guard.  There were outstanding WR prospects available who they passed.  I’m not sold on Beane’s ability to draft offensive players.   Is that heresy?

Only his senior year. He played guard the two years prior to that. I think they drafted Ford believing he could play tackle but thinking that if he couldn't he was pretty low risk in the sense they knew he could play guard. The early results at tackle have not been good. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

And now I see fans are demanding bigger receivers, which is what they had last year.  Guys who couldn't separate.  Now they have faster receivers who get out-muscled for balls.  

Honestly I think the bigger receivers thing is such a red herring but Bills fans seem kind of obsessed by it. 

My take on the overall offense is this. It goes as the Quarterback goes. When Josh is playing well the offense works. When he isn't it doesn't. Yesterday came down to dreadful Quarterback play. Pure and simple. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Duke def outplayed Zay in the pre-season therefore I would love to see him now when the games actually count. Duke got some strong hands and will fight for the ball. He might of made a difference on the int where Zay gave up on the play.

We don't have an fair read on that. Duke played against backups.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I want to see how the season plays out. But at this point not sure this oline can afford to lose its best performing guy. 

Only his senior year. He played guard the two years prior to that. I think they drafted Ford believing he could play tackle but thinking that if he couldn't he was pretty low risk in the sense they knew he could play guard. The early results at tackle have not been good. 

Can we agree that if the Bills knew Ford couldn’t play tackle in the NFL, they would not have traded up to take him at 38?

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Honestly I think the bigger receivers thing is such a red herring but Bills fans seem kind of obsessed by it. 

My take on the overall offense is this. It goes as the Quarterback goes. When Josh is playing well the offense works. When he isn't it doesn't. Yesterday came down to dreadful Quarterback play. Pure and simple. 

This is more or less where I am too. I'm sure a guy that's good at 50-50 balls would come in handy, but I don't think it takes precedent over guys that can get separation. Brown and Beasley can separate. Zay is unfortunately just a bad football player. I should note that I hated him as a prospect coming out of college too, so maybe I'm seeing what I want to see, but I would have happily gotten rid of him the past two years even setting aside the fact that I thought he was a poor prospect to begin with. I think it makes our team worse whenever he's on the field. Point being, I'd gladly give Duke a shot at replacing Zay even if I don't necessarily think Duke's skillset is necessary.

Edited by DCOrange

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

TrentI Williams wouldn't just be adding a tackle.  It would possibly be adding the best tackle in the game still in his prime.  It would completely change the makeup of the line.  I know we have Dawkins and he is above average but he can't compare to Williams.

Williams has this year on his contract and next year.  He will turn 32 this off-season but I think he has 3-4 very good-great years left.  You stick him on this line and the entire dynamic of the offense changes.  We will be able to bully a bit.  Teams will know what we are doing but won't be able to stop it.  Sign him to a 3 year extension, make the highest paid or nearly the highest paid tackle, and the money will still in no way prevent us from signing young guys in a few years.  

I would not give up a first but a 2nd and another pick I think would be worth it.  

Williams    Spain/Dawkins    Morse    Dawkins/Feliciano/Ford    Dawkins/Nsekhe/Ford