Josh is horrible on long throws all 4 games

Artem Lipatov

This is the first time doubt is creeping in for me.  Which isn’t really fair - BB makes a lot of good players look bad.

But it looked like he was playing his first game today.  No confidence.  If I was an opposing fan, I’d say he was a bust.  

Tough day.  Just one day, but he has so much work to do.. 

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not many fans outside of Buffalo think Josh is any good.

To this point he's towards the bottom of the league in almost all QB categories.... I'm skeptical of anything this regime does with respect to the offense.

I said this in a thread on friday and people were killing me.  So many think Josh is revered nationally.  For the most part people outside of WNY think he’s slightly below average to “sucks”.  

Long throws are ALWAYS 50-50 at best. They are low completion throws for every QB in the league. Sometimes you get lucky and hit a bunch of them in consecutive games (like Josh last year) and sometimes you go through a drought and don't hit any.

14 minutes ago, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

Honestly I lost a lot of faith in Josh today. He looked terrible , meanwhile another Allen not named Josh looks x2 the qb Josh is 

Kyle Allen? Zero TD's and 3 lost fumbles in today's game. If those fumbles had been INT's instead of fumbles, you'd have never made that comment.

• Thank you (+1) 1

He misses deep balls by 5 yards sometimes. It is quite obvious now. Whenever he tries to take over a game by himself and starts pushing, the result is usually disaster. He needs less gunslinger and more game manager. Sometimes he beats himself. Confidence is important. Overconfidence is fatal.

As Clint Eastwood says, "A man's got to know his limitations."

On the other hand, we now know that this defense is elite despite the absence of any elite players. We also know that we can beat anyone if we don't beat ourselves.

We are a year away from finally passing the Pats as inheritors of the AFCE crown. LT, WR, CB and edge rusher upgrades along with Josh learning how to avoid the big errors and we're good to be a heavyweight contender. We are easily a wild card team if Josh's concussion was very minor.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

My faith in Allen is growing less and less every game.  Accuracy is definitely an issue and if he keeps running like he is it’s just a matter of time before he is out with a major injury. 

Throwing off that back foot was part him not wanting to get rocked, part bad protection and play calling. That was not a recipe for success. 

He needs more throws to Foster & Brown... trying to hit Zay jones deep is too hard especially when Zay can't separate on deep balls as well...nor can track the ball deep. 

He needs to be in the slot...doing slant & drag routes all day

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

Throwing off that back foot was part him not wanting to get rocked, part bad protection and play calling. That was not a recipe for success. 

I agree and as much as I hate to admit it Brady is the master of feeling pressure and getting the ball out fast without it being stripped or deflected. I still think Allen needs to make smarter decisions with the football and feel where the pressure is coming from and plan accordingly.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Not many fans outside of Buffalo think Josh is any good.

To this point he's towards the bottom of the league in almost all QB categories.... I'm skeptical of anything this regime does with respect to the offense.

Before the game fouts used "The ever daring and often disastrous josh Allen" to refer to him. I objected at the time but could only argue so long today.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Allen makes stupid throws into double coverage. He doesn’t protect the football when scrambling or in the pocket. He plays loose and I suppose that’s good, but this haphazard ball security is not acceptable in the NFL. He needs to protect the football. Allen claimed to have watched a ton of Brady film, did he not note that Brady always guns the ball at WRs feet if the play is busted?

5 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

He his going to need to learn to get his feet set,  too many passes off one foot or falling backwards.  I still think he needs better surrounding talent,  including better protection and a true #1 WR.  I love the young TE Knox,  i think they need to use him more,  made one of the best receptions of this season today.  Zay does not look like a NFL WR,  too many drops and just has been huge disappointment since being drafted in second round. I think they may be able to get Green from the Bengals for a 4th or 3rd and that could help, not sure about tackles who have not been good this season.

Oh yeah we need to get a 1st round QB some proper investment at WR. It's not there and we really shouldn't expect it to be after just taking a few fliers on WR3s Beasley and Brown on top of the terrible corps we went with last year.

It's just tough to guage QB talent if he's taking so many coverage sacks or throwing deep because no one else is getting open. NE D has a scary secondary tho.. and it's not like JA played particularly smart in those plays.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

13 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Oh yeah we need to get a 1st round QB some proper investment at WR. It's not there and we really shouldn't expect it to be after just taking a few fliers on WR3s Beasley and Brown on top of the terrible corps we went with last year.

It's just tough to guage QB talent if he's taking so many coverage sacks or throwing deep because no one else is getting open. NE D has a scary secondary tho.. and it's not like JA played particularly smart in those plays.

In what world is Brown a WR3? Maybe not a 1, but 2A for sure. Beasley has been very good for us so far and is more than enough at slot. Only maybe Calvin Johnson in his prime saves Allen on a lot of these throws. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

In what world is Brown a WR3? Maybe not a 1, but 2A for sure. Beasley has been very good for us so far and is more than enough at slot. Only maybe Calvin Johnson in his prime saves Allen on a lot of these throws. 

Ok sure but I don't want a 2A at the 1 I want my QB to have a 1, 2 and 3 at the respective positions and the 1s demand a lot more money than Josh Brown did after several years in the league

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

Just now, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Ok sure but I don't want a 2A at the 1 I want my QB to have a 1, 2 and 3 at the respective positions preferably a 1, 1 and 2 really and the 1s demand a lot more money than Josh Brown did after several years in the league

I'll agree with him at 2, but 3 was overkill lol. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

He needs more throws to Foster & Brown... trying to hit Zay jones deep is too hard especially when Zay can't separate on deep balls as well...nor can track the ball deep. 

He needs to be in the slot...doing slant & drag routes all day

The way he throws the deep ball it’s very hard for any WR to track. It’s coming in low and fast.

The angle it’s coming in at if it were accurate would be a pretty tough catch. His deep balls are either way over the head or easily intercepted because of said angles. Needs more of an arc so the WRs can track it and run under it. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

The pick that was intended for zay he had a RB wide open in the flat because the Defender fell down. Allen looked and threw it deep anyway. He misses open WRs a lot. 

His game doesnt make sense at the moment. He will trust his arm to throw into triple coverage and it’s a complete disaster but won’t trust his arm to throw to a wr that made his break against single coverage and came open. His decision making is all over the place and he still needs a lot of work on his touch. 

Every time I watch other NFL games, I think of the people in here foaming at the mouth at his every incompletions  and mistakes. You saw that dumb Brady INT after their 93 yard drive yesterday? For some reason, Rodgers was off the mark bad on many easy throws Thursday. And just watch other QBs miss obvious plays and make boneheads mistakes. Point is, stop expecting perfection!

That being said, Josh indeed has been bad on long passes this year, which is weird in a way as he has regressed. I'm still wowed at his arm strength so that part of the game has to improve for sure. But again, only 4 starts to judge him, only his 2 year as a QB. Chill out! He could be just in a momentary confidence funk. As for overall inaccuracy, you guys are just repeating bad press to make a point. He was badly inaccurate to start THIS last game, but it was obviously nerves. Overall this year he has over 60% accuracy...

• Like (+1) 1