Will offense operate better with Barkley next week?

GG

33 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’d say if the Bills sign a QB tomorrow then Allen is out. If not, then this will probably drag out all week and Allen will play Sunday.

I was thinking the same thing. But, if they think that Davis Webb knows the offense well enough and would be a better backup than a guy off the street, they don't have to activate him off the PS until friday or saturday.

1 hour ago, buffalo2218 said:

Dude came at me twisting my words, not trying to be a jerk, but read the post history first.

Nope, you came at me first and I called you out for your only watching highlights then arguing Barkley is smarter or better or whatever you said. Go back and reread!

Not that yards tell the tale, but on a terrible bears team in 2016: Barkley started 6 games and threw for over 300 yards in 3 of them. The Bills have had like 3 300 yard passing games in the last 6 years and Barkley had 3 in 6 games. We also had like a 31-3 lead at halftime in the only game he started last year. He easily could have gotten 300 in that one. We didn’t need to pass in that whole 2nd half. I think it’s a little silly to act like he’s just a pedestrian back up. Barkley was an excellent college player and had incredible potential. He was trending towards stardom. And incredibly, Allen has twice as many starts as Barkley. I don’t think we know for sure what Barkley is or can be. If he plays Sunday I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s by far our best offensive performance. I also wouldn’t be surprised if we see that 300 yard passing streak go down.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Not that yards tell the tale, but on a terrible bears team in 2016: Barkley started 6 games and threw for over 300 yards in 3 of them. The Bills have had like 3 300 yard passing games in the last 6 years and Barkley had 3 in 6 games. We also had like a 31-3 lead at halftime in the only game he started last year. He easily could have gotten 300 in that one. We didn’t need to pass in that whole 2nd half. I think it’s a little silly to act like he’s just a pedestrian back up. Barkley was an excellent college player and had incredible potential. He was trending towards stardom. And incredibly, Allen has twice as many starts as Barkley. I don’t think we know for sure what Barkley is or can be. If he plays Sunday I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s by far our best offensive performance. I also wouldn’t be surprised if we see that 300 yard passing streak go down.

Actually he was trending toward stardom like as a sophomore. He was much higher ranked in his second last year than his last year of college, going from a first round pick to fourth. Because of his weak arm. He's always been the same. 

19 hours ago, GG said:

At this point in time, running the offense that Daboll has installed, I think that Barkley will put up more points.  

Ok... I don't see it....  

Barkley will be just fine. He’s a very level headed veteran and he’s been in the Bills system since last year. It’s been a long time since we’ve been in this good of a position with our back up QB. Chill people. (It’s impossible for him to do worse than what we saw out of Allen on a Sunday.)

On 9/29/2019 at 7:33 PM, GG said:

Short term vs long term goal?

This could be a case where Josh again benefits from sitting down and watching.   

There is not a thing Josh Allen can learn from watching Matt Barkley play QB rather than playing.  Nothing.  

I see no reason why Barkley can't put together a better game than any of the games that Allen has played. At least he will be patient and not throw the game away or keep fumbling. Smart. We have a defense, so let them carry the team like Josh should have done. Despite missing much of the Pats game, Allen leads the NFL in interceptions. Not good.

24 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I see no reason why Barkley can't put together a better game than any of the games that Allen has played. At least he will be patient and not throw the game away or keep fumbling. Smart. We have a defense, so let them carry the team like Josh should have done. Despite missing much of the Pats game, Allen leads the NFL in interceptions. Not good.

In one quarter Barkley fumbled and threw an interception. That’s a higher rate on both than Allen. Just sayin.’

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

In one quarter Barkley fumbled and threw an interception. That’s a higher rate on both than Allen. Just sayin.’

You keep bringing this up - the fumble is clearly on Barkley.  But do you really fault him on the INT?

4 minutes ago, GG said:

You keep bringing this up - the fumble is clearly on Barkley.  But do you really fault him on the INT?

Yep. He’s slow and immobile. And it’s still an INT.  Josh probably avoids the rusher and then looks downfield. What happens after that is anyone’s guess. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm down on the notion being pushed on this thread, believe it or not, that Barkley is more fit for the offense that Daboll is running.  ANd that he protects the ball better.

He has played so little real football with the Bills at all, let alone this season, that it's impossible to claim he is better fit for this offense.

His past as a starter has proven that he's not good at all at protecting the ball.

That's all.  He's a good backup (but his resume is VERY thin there--or worse).  Hope Allen gets back ASAP. 

I don't know as if this is the right take. I think some, including me, think Barkley *at this moment in time* is probably better able than Allen to run the offense as it is envisioned on an X and O board with crispness, speed, and the requisite field awareness. However, I also think the presumption is that Allen, who is bright, should be able to do it just as well as he gains more experience , and he therefore needs to be on the field to get better and better at it. Secondly, the X and O board plan often becomes meaningless in the heat of battle, and Allen is better at making a play when things break down (as they inevitably do from time to time). So I guess my point is that for just this upcoming game against TN, it's an open question as to who is more likely to generate a W. Barkley is the better game manager at this point, but has a slew of physical limitations that'll prevent him from making plays when things break down. On the other hand, Allen is struggling right now and is basically a turnover machine (he's leading the league in INTs and has fumbled it 5 times). That said, if both are healthy, Allen should definitely be starting. He needs that in order for him to continue to progress. It's just unclear to me who is more likely to help the Bills win the game taking place in five days. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GG said:

I do. He wasn’t fast enough , athletic enough or just  quick thinking to not attempt the throw. I don’t think it was fourth down , was it ? If it was, then I don’t fault him completely. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I do. He wasn’t fast enough , athletic enough or just  quick thinking to not attempt the throw. I don’t think it was fourth down , was it ? If it was, then I don’t fault him completely. 

Did you watch the replay?  There's no way any QB escapes the hit because the expectation is that Nsekhe or Yeldon at least slows down the blister.  Van Noy is on him as soon as he completes the drop back.

If there's blame, then you can fault the play design that called for a 5 step drop when NE has been dominating our OL for a few series.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Did you watch the replay?  There's no way any QB escapes the hit because the expectation is that Nsekhe or Yeldon at least slows down the blister.  Van Noy is on him as soon as he completes the drop back.

If there's blame, then you can fault the play design that called for a 5 step drop when NE has been dominating our OL for a few series.

Could he have taken the sack or was it fourth down, I don’t recall. If it’s fourth down I’ll give him a pass as he had to try to do something. Can’t throw it away or take sack on 4th down, though I seem to remember  a QB doing that before.