Will offense operate better with Barkley next week?

GG

3 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

Barkley is better than Peterman.  He is much more like a Trent Dilfer, who won a Super Bowl with an elite defense.  I think he is good enough to manage a game and beat anyone if the Defense dominates and they get the running game going. 

Did we just see 3 years of this kind of hoping from Tyrod, no thanks I'll pass, that style gets old fast.

3 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

It may not matter if people think it won't benefit him or not. If this hero ball crap keeps on happening, he will ride the pine. 4 picks from doing that

He's not riding the pine anytime soon, he's the better QB by miles.

48 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

He's not terrible, he's better than "sign him off the street 2018 Derek Anderson," but not nearly as good as prime Derek Anderson (yes, there was such a thing). He's an ordinary backup who can help win you a game against a mediocre team like Tennessee. Having said that, the drop off from even the 2019 Josh Allen isn't all that great .... right now he's reminding me of Trubisky's progression, from pretty awful at the start to a guy who can make big plays in his second year in between frustrating failures.

Barkley is a below average backup QB imo. I really don’t think we beat Tennessee with him as starter, while I like our chances with Allen. I have plenty of posts following the Pats game where I’m a harsh critic of Allen. However, Allen possess ability that Barkley couldn’t dream of. Allen hasn’t been good this season, but there’s still a drop off. Although he makes mistakes, Allen also willed the team to second half victories twice this season. Barkley can’t do that. Maybe Barkley can be a better game

manager, but those type of guys lose games. I could see Barkey losing to Tennessee by something like a 10-6 final score. That doesn’t happen with Allen imo. 

11 minutes ago, pop gun said:

Did we just see 3 years of this kind of hoping from Tyrod, no thanks I'll pass, that style gets old fast.

Exactly. I’d rather watch Allen be aggressive, regardless of potential failure over a “game manager”. Those guys rarely make head scratching plays, but you also have no upside. There’s nothing like losing a bunch games by scores like 10-7. 

Edited by SirAndrew

4 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'd feel better about next week if Singletary plays.  Barkley will need as much help as possible.  He will need to get the ball out quickly since our O-line is struggling with pass protection.  The run game and short, quick passes will be a good start, rather than the long ball requiring a longer time of pass protection.

The OL opened some massive holes today. Motor would have been a great weapon. The fact he practiced this week , I'd say he's 100% playing and should be a great contribution.

I feel like he could have taken one of those runs by Gore to the house. That could be va fantastic 1-2: punch

4 hours ago, GG said:

This is really a combination of several threads - Onto the Titans, Josh Concussion Protocol, Daboll offense doesn't score in 1st half, and John Brown talking about how complicated the offense is.

I think it's unlikely that Josh plays next week because the NFL doesn't take concussions lightly, and with Bills facing a bye in week 6 they will play it safe with him.

We knew that Allen was the least ready of the 2018 prospects, and any great defense will force him into mistakes.  That's why Daboll was screaming at him on the sidelines, because he continues to force the ball when it's not necessary.  It's also obvious that Josh is having trouble executing Daboll's complex offense and the new players haven't helped the kid yet.  Or maybe Allen is emboldened to take more risks with the new guys and that hasn't worked out yet.

What is obvious is that Barkley is better prepared to run this offense, as designed, but clearly can't do what Josh can if the play breaks down.  

I think that another break will be important for Allen to settle down, as he watches Barkley's methodical approach take apart the opposing defenses.   I don't think Barkley will struggle next week, and will put together some good tape for Allen to study.

Why don’t you think Allen will play? Because he didn’t return?

Concussion protocol isn’t a minimal process. He could easily return.

1 hour ago, buffalo2218 said:

I won't go as far as to say he will right now. I wanted to blame the coaches for lack of preparation, but after watching the highlights, Allen isn't playing smart at all. So many times he could have had decent gains instead of throwing deep. He needs to do what the coaches want him to do, take what he's given.

So you didnt even watch the game, you watched just the "highlights" and you're here arguing that Allen stinks and Barkley should start. For real dude!

8 minutes ago, pop gun said:

So you didnt even watch the game, you watched just the "highlights" and you're here arguing that Allen stinks and Barkley should start. For real dude!

What was there to watch that didn't show Allen making bad decisions? Also, show me where I said Barkley should start over Allen. Don't be like Boca Bills and put words in my mouth, FOR REAL DUDE!!!!

4 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'd feel better about next week if Singletary plays.  Barkley will need as much help as possible.  He will need to get the ball out quickly since our O-line is struggling with pass protection.  The run game and short, quick passes will be a good start, rather than the long ball requiring a longer time of pass protection.

One area that he has a clear advantage on is timing routes. He seems to really thrive off those quick slants. I'm not sure the coaching adapts well though or they would've kept a TE in to help the RT. 

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The best our offense has ever looked with Dabol, was the only game Barkley started. Not saying it will happen again but after a week of #1 reps...my guess is Matt will be much more efficient then Allen. Definitely want Singletary back though. The top of the defense won’t be organicly lifted off by the presence of Allen’s arm. Just don’t tell any of the defenses that although Allen can throw it deep, he never completes it

I understand your frustration but you know as well as anyone reading this, that this is not a true statement. Do the completions beyond 25+ yards need to improve this season? Sure, that would be great, and I believe it will improve, as the focus for this offseason was obviously the short to intermediate route tree at the expense of the deep ball from last year that worked swimmingly. When he puts it all together, as he has for every game in the 4th Q to date minus today’s cheap shot special cutting short any last minute heroics, watch out. 

16 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

What was there to watch that didn't show Allen making bad decisions? Also, show me where I said Barkley should start over Allen. Don't be like Boca Bills and put words in my mouth, FOR REAL DUDE!!!!

Although you did not come out and say Barkley should start boy you sure insinuated he is smarter and more capable than Allen is, if that's not advocating who you favor(Barkley)I dont know what is Dude!

4 minutes ago, pop gun said:

Although you did not come out and say Barkley should start boy you sure insinuated he is smarter and more capable than Allen is, if that's not advocating who you favor(Barkley)I dont know what is Dude!

If I didn't come out and say it, then I didn't say it then did I? Forget your assumptions, I could really care less. One guy tried that on me and I made him look like a bigger fool than he already is. And after today and last week, Allen showed anything but being smart with his decision making. I don't know what Barkley will bring to the table, but I do believe he can read the field better. Give him practice and see what happens. When Allen is cleared, put him back in starting. That clear enough for you?

Edited by buffalo2218

Barkley canʻt make the throws Allen does, and yet Barkley wonʻt make the high risk throws that Allen does...

Will our offense operate better? NO

Will our offense have less turnovers? YES

But will that also mean we have less points? YES

Josh Allen is Big Ben + Brett Favre + Mike Vick - the waves will be super high and super low ?

6 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

Barkley canʻt make the throws Allen does, and yet Barkley wonʻt make the high risk throws that Allen does...

Why does Barkley have to make the throws Allen makes to move the ball?

Will our offense operate better? NO

Unfounded since we've yet to see Barkley get adequate preparation with the 1s

Will our offense have less turnovers? YES

Probably

But will that also mean we have less points? YES

Again unfounded, Barkley did good enough in this offense to win his only start so far, so why assume he won't score?

Josh Allen is Big Ben + Brett Favre + Mike Vick - the waves will be super high and super low ?

Josh Allen is very much a work in progress