Will offense operate better with Barkley next week?

GG

Barkley comes out ice cold against the World Champs, and on his first play floats a nice timing pass to Knox (who made an even better catch). He then reels off a few more short to mid range passes. He was in a rhythm immediately. He clearly looks more level-headed out there, gets the ball off faster, and is way more on target with his throws. I think he's the better QB at the moment. 

Either way, its interesting to look at the total offensive stat line for today. 280 passing yards, 140 on the ground, a 100-yard day from Gore, and 4 receivers put up decent numbers. Not a terrible day, until you see all the TOs. 

48 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

LOL ........... sure Allen won all 3 games by himself.  He's also had some great come from behind wins ........ because his turnovers put us behind.  Pats were the wake up call.  We could have easily lost in the Jets game and Bengals game for no other reason than Allen turns it over too much.

and all that and guess what.  3-1

If Barkley plays, I hope we activate Singletary (as long as he’s good).  I understand being cautious with the bye week after but this is a big game, coming off a loss, against another potential WC contender. 

We’ll need the defense to do their thing and run the ball well so we can build the pass off the run.  

Area i worry about with Barkley is the red zone.  

With Allen, we’re incredibly efficient given his dual threat ability.   With Barkley were one dimensional at the QB position and he doesn’t exactly have a jump ball guy to throw fades to. 

Edited by SCBills

5 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

I know I don't get all the hate.

I actually think he gives us a better chance to win than Allen does. 

I won't go as far as to say he will right now. I wanted to blame the coaches for lack of preparation, but after watching the highlights, Allen isn't playing smart at all. So many times he could have had decent gains instead of throwing deep. He needs to do what the coaches want him to do, take what he's given.

At this point I don't think anyone knows if Josh Allen will successfully make it through the concussion protocol and be able to play next week.  Buffalo can use that uncertainty to its advantage.  If they can legitimately maintain a public posture of uncertainty, it will make preparation more complicated for the Titans.  As it is, the Titans don't have much Barkley tape to look at, particularly with the support cast Buffalo has on offense now.  Barkley is limited as a QB, and I think those limitations would be exposed if he were to have to start multiple games, but He might have an impressive performance or two in him this season.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, buffalo2218 said:

Whoever is starting, for the love of god, get Knox more involved. If Williams gets called up and practices this week, Barkley may play better than a lot of people think

I think he has the smarts...it’s his arm I worry about...

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

How is it at all obvious that Barkley is better prepared to operate the offense?

this has prob already been talked about in this thread but the main difference i saw between the two was the decisions were way quicker with Barkley, and it was refreshing.

hike! quick scan, BOOM ball was out. id say every pass from barkley, (when not impeded) was a decent decision that gave the reciever a chance at making the play. unfortunatly alot of innacurate throws, but if on target would have been successful.

whats alittle worrisome is barkley was hitting recievers that were not "open" but had favorable positioning. theres a difference and if some of our plays rely on that it could be why josh is holding the ball so long as you have to know them not see them. if knox runs a slant and the d has outside leverage hit him cause his body will shield the defender even if hes in his pocket. if the recievers are covered and going deep while yeldon is running a quick out hit him and see if he can make somthing happen. a reciever 1 on 1 can make alot of plays if you give him good ball placement regardless of the cb distance. josh seems to have 2 main throws, fast and far. hopefully he will learn about backshoulder and touch as he grows and they are dep on positioning not "open"

josh is putting it all on his shoulders and barkley seemed to take the opportunities the d gave him. if you had joshes athletism and barkleys exacution,  i think our offense would be incredable. of coarse im basically saying i want josh to have the experience barkley has...he will get there.

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My source tells me Allen is playing so we will be ok. My source can’t be wrong. 

The type of hit he received is a definitive concussion protocol directive that requires a medical standard of hours not minutes.

He will be back next week.

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree. TBD needs to watch some Barkley with the Bears tape. He is not a good QB. He’s at Derek Anderson’s level imo. He had a good preseason, so everyone is way too pumped about him. 

He's not terrible, he's better than "sign him off the street 2018 Derek Anderson," but not nearly as good as prime Derek Anderson (yes, there was such a thing). He's an ordinary backup who can help win you a game against a mediocre team like Tennessee. Having said that, the drop off from even the 2019 Josh Allen isn't all that great .... right now he's reminding me of Trubisky's progression, from pretty awful at the start to a guy who can make big plays in his second year in between frustrating failures.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

2 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

this has prob already been talked about in this thread but the main difference i saw between the two was the decisions were way quicker with Barkley, and it was refreshing. hike! quick scan, BOOM ball was out. id say every pass from barkley, (when not impeded) was a decent decision that gave the reciever a chance at making the play. unfortunatly alot of innacurate throws, but if on target would have been successful. whats alittle worrisome is barkley was hitting recievers that were not "open" but had favorable positioning. theres a difference and if some of our plays rely on that it could be why josh is holding the ball so long as you have to know them not see them. if knox runs a slant and the d has outside leverage hit him cause his body will shield the defender even if hes in his pocket. if the recievers are covered and going deep while yeldon is running a quick out hit him and see if he can make somthing happen. a reciever 1 on 1 can make alot of plays if you give him good ball placement regardless of the cb distance. josh is putting it all on his shoulders and barkley seemed to take the opportunities the d gave him. if you had joshes athletism and barkleys exacution i think our offense would be incredable. of coarse im basically saying i want josh to have the experience barkley has...he will get there.

This mirrors the exact conversation and coaching he got in the offseason at his QB camp. They discussed how Barkley does not have the arm so he has to play with anticipation, Josh has the arm but does not play with anticipation yet, maybe never we will see - he needs to recognize defenses and throw it to a spot where his receivers have the best chance of making a play on the ball. Josh also seems far too resistant to the concept of checking down to his outlet receiving option - that is the maverick hero-ball that is tough to coach out of him.

What no one knows for certain is whether that is something that over time and with more experience Josh can develop.

Today, against the Belichick defense, the ball came out too slow as he is not sure where to go with it which led to some late poor decisions under duress. He also needs to get better when facing the 5 and 6 man rushes that both NE, the Giants, and the Bengals used to hurry and confuse him. In all those times I saw Josh having a harder time pulling the trigger with any kind of rhythm.

There is a tendency for Josh to start too hyped and erratic and gradually get better as the game goes on, not sure if he just needs enough games to move past that but today served notice to Josh and the coaches that having him lean on running and not sliding is a recipe for Allen getting knocked out of a game - literally.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WideNine said:

This mirrors the exact conversation and coaching he got in the offseason at his QB camp. They discussed how Barkley does not have the arm so he has to play with anticipation, Josh has the arm but does not play with anticipation yet, maybe never we will see - he needs to recognize defenses and throw it to a spot where his receivers have the best chance of making a play on the ball. Josh also seems far too resistant to the concept of checking down to his outlet receiving option - that is the maverick hero-ball that is tough to coach out of him.

What no one knows for certain is whether that is something that over time and with more experience Josh can develop.

Today, against the Belichick defense, the ball came out too slow as he is not sure where to go with it which led to some late poor decisions under duress. He also needs to get better when facing the 5 and 6 man rushes that both NE, the Giants, and the Bengals used to hurry and confuse him. In all those times I saw Josh having a harder time pulling the trigger with any kind of rhythm.

There is a tendency for Josh to start too hyped and erratic and gradually get better as the game goes on, not sure if he just needs enough games to move past that but today served notice to Josh and the coaches that having him lean on running and not sliding is a recipe for Allen getting knocked out of a game - literally.

great points. i was hoping when he threw the underthrow td to brown it might have given him a lesson that placement not power can be a great asset. we get upset at some of the drops but it seems if he isnt rifeling it in full speed then its not thrown lol. somtimes im amazed the reciever is plucking a lazer from the air. 

he really puts the game on his shoulders and i hope he settles down soon. our d can win alot of games but if hes helping the opponent it will make it pretty hard. he needs to trust the defense and severely needs tto understand situations. if we are in fg range nothing matters more then staying there. if a play breaks down...its the nfl, it will happen, ALOT. dont force things. those two facts alone and we have a substantially better shot to win. they are most important immediatly and should be drilled in! everything else will take time and im confident he will learn.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

great points. i was hoping when he threw the underthrow td to brown it might have given him a lesson that placement not power can be a great asset. we get upset at some of the drops but it seems if he isnt rifeling it in full speed then its not thrown lol. somtimes im amazed the reciever is plucking a lazer from the air. 

he really puts the game on his shoulders and i hope he settles down soon. our d can win alot of games but if hes helping the opponent it will make it pretty hard. he needs to trust the defense and severely needs tto understand situations. if we are in fg range nothing matters more then staying there. if a play breaks down...its the nfl, it will happen, ALOT. dont force things. those two facts alone and we have a substantially better shot to win. they are most important immediatly and should be drilled in! everything else will take time and im confident he will learn.

Both QBs could have used Singletary out there as a change of pace to Gore. Also helps them understand that the whole game is not on their shoulders.

We are not in a terrible place with this team and just played a NE team that was slicing through teams like an unstoppable juggernaut and made their offense look pretty pedestrian. We get Singletary back and hopefully Josh gets through this protocol and recommits himself to improving his decision making.

Edited by WideNine