Will offense operate better with Barkley next week?

GG

17 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There is no question that getting rid of the ball quickly and decisively can make up for other flaws. But there has been one guy imo in 30 years that has succeeded with an arm like Barkley and that is Pennington after surgery and he was an extraordinarily smart QB. People say Montana didn't have a strong arm but he could make all the throws and often did. Barkley cannot. 

So can brushing off defenders and jumping over the line for a TD.  Im am more than content with Barkley as a backup.  But JA is our starter and I hope everyone on the board sees the difference.  The mistakes Allen makes can be corrected.  The gifts he has cannot be taught or coached.

5 hours ago, vincec said:

Allen needs to learn to manage the game. He forces the ball and runs way too much. This leads to a lot of opportunities for interceptions, fumbles and injuries. He needs to learn when to throw the ball away. Look at Brady: he played like crap but they won because he took much better care of the ball.

Yes, he is guilty of trying to do too much on his own against a defense that had not allowed a TD since their Super Bowl and just 3 points.

Perspective folks... Did he try to force things that were not there - yes.

He will learn from this, he has had too much success extending plays he needs games like this to learn. I am frustrated too, but will see what he takes from this experience.

It sucks, but NE would have eaten Barkley alive had he started and they did any scheming for him.

Edited by WideNine

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

So can brushing off defenders and jumping over the line for a TD.  Im am more than content with Barkley as a backup.  But JA is our starter and I hope everyone on the board sees the difference.  The mistakes Allen makes can be corrected.  The gifts he has cannot be taught or coached.

I don't know if this is the best analogy but right now, 15 or so starts into his career, Josh Allen is Nolan Ryan. He's not going to have a great ERA, he's going to walk a bunch of guys, he's going to make mistakes but you win with him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, WideNine said:

Yes, he is guilty of trying to do too much on his own against a defense that had not allowed a TD since their Super Bowl and just 3 points.

Perspective folks... Did he try to force things that were not there - yes.

He will learn from this, he has had do much success extending plays he needs games like this to learn. I am frustrated too, but will see what he takes from this experience.

It sucks, but NE would have eaten Barkley alive had he started and they did any scheming for him.

I hope so but he hasn't learned yet. This isn't the first game he's forced things.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

All he needs to do is play mistake free football.  

Agreed. I think the team is better with Matt right now for this reason--not to say that Matt is great. He certainly has less upside than Josh ... but we're a pretty good football team at the moment and we kind of just need to take care of the football and make a few nice plays. Matt can do that. I think we'll be fine and have a good chance to beat the Titans. 

Edited by dayman

7 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m expecting Allen to play but for the sake of fairness here...Let’s say Barkley plays:

By far the best Dabols offense has looked, was with Barkley. (With the same players) We scored 41 on the road against a division opponent. And that game was on ice for the entire second half. We could have easily got 50+ if we needed it. This offense has never looked like that with Allen. Let’s say Barkley goes down to Tennessee and puts up 38 in a win. People are going to have to start thinking differently about how good Allen has been. I’m not saying any of these things are going to happen. But Barkley played 1 game where he was expected to start. And he absolutely lit it up. This offense has never looked as good before or since. If Barkley takes the reps with the 1s all week and then lights it up. It’s going to say a lot about Allen. That day against the jets looked effortless. This defense is elite. We need the offense to stay on time and not make asinine mistakes. If we click on all cylinders for 4 quarters in Tennessee (with Barkley) then it’s going to show us something about Allen.

I don't think he lit it up.  He was efficient and had a monstrous running game that day.  And the Bills best offensive day in the Dabold system  IMO was against the Dolphins and the outing against the Giants this season was on par with the Barkley led effort against the Jets.

And for the record if your scenario plays out and Allen isn't the guy then the Bills will be set back years as Barkley is NOT the answer and we'll have to go through the draft again.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

All he needs to do is play mistake free football.  

Yep, play some Tyrod ball and the Bills should

win. Take a 4-1 record into the bye with Miami in the other side and the Bills should be on schedule for the post season.

37 minutes ago, GG said:

So you crap on the QB who had 2 of the longest drives today, was totally left exposed by an OL brainfart, but excuse the guy who threw 3 ridiculous INTs and fumbled twice?

I think the thing is that in the middle of the field, teams will give him the quick slants, but when you get deeper and near the EZ, you have to be able to throw ropes outside the numbers. He can’t do it. He can place the deep sideline lob accurately, which is good and something Allen is incapable of doing so far this season. Again, he’s immobile and once the middle of the field gets taken away from him, he’s a sack/TO machine.

Edited by dave mcbride

57 minutes ago, GG said:

The big issue is that his play in the first 3 Qs  puts the entire onus on the defense to keep the game in check.  There's no question that I would rather have him than Barkley when the game is on the line with 3 minutes to go.  But realistically, the first 3 games should have been blow outs, and today's game wouldn't need last minute heroics with half way decent QB play.  

I think that at this point, with the offense that Daboll is running, Barkley is the better option.   

There has to be concern about Allen's regression this year, especially when the long ball has been woefully off.

In what universe has Allen regressed this year?

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Barkley can’t throw effectively outside the numbers except when he does accurately placed lobs. And he’s immobile. Both QBs have big weaknesses (i.e., Allen can’t seem to throw an accurate deep ball to save his life right now. He is AWFUL in that dept. so far this season.)

It wasn’t lost on me that the first deep shot down the field was completed when Barkley lobbed one up and actually allowed a WR to make a play as opposed to overthrowing his target by 5 yards.

Just now, MDH said:

It wasn’t lost on me that the first deep shot down the field was completed when Barkley lobbed one up and actually allowed a WR to make a play as opposed to overthrowing his target by 5 yards.

True! I thought the same.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Unless he can't go why are we sitting Allen? 

Suggesting Barkley gives us a better chance to win next week is asinine.

I don’t know if it’s asinine.  Allen definitely needs to be in the field the moment he’s ready but with this D just not giving the other team the ball will generally be enough to win. Barkley can do that better than Allen at this point.

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don't know if this is the best analogy but right now, 15 or so starts into his career, Josh Allen is Nolan Ryan. He's not going to have a great ERA, he's going to walk a bunch of guys, he's going to make mistakes but you win with him. 

On the money.  If Allen doesnt get knocked out of the game I truely believe we are celebrating our first victory over Brady in a long time. 

Edited by formerlyofCtown

6 minutes ago, dayman said:

Agreed. I think the team is better with Matt right now for this reason--not to say that Matt is great. He certainly has less upside than Josh ... but we're a pretty good football team at the moment and we kind of just need to take care of the football and make a few nice plays. Matt can do that. I think we'll be fine and have a good chance to beat the Titans. 

Biggest issue vs the Titans is avoiding a major emotional letdown after losing this game, IMO. If their heads are in it then they can win with Barkley.

1 minute ago, MDH said:

That was a phenomenal catch. If someone did that for Allen it would have been a first. Not to mention that Barkley can lob the ball like that. He's decent if not good at it. But he cannot throw several throws an NFL QB must throw. 

• Like (+1) 1