Make the trade for Stephon Diggs

12 hours ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

They may have went with the higher rated Watson and not Mahommes.  We'll never know.

The rumor AT THE TIME(when nobody knew how great Mahomes would become) was that Whaley and The Pegs wanted to select Mahomes.

10 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Reallt makes you wonder about the Zay pick though, huh? Like, how much of that was Whaley’s influence for some of the guys that got passed over, maybe he’s just not great at WR evaluations?

Phil McGeoghan was his coach in college..........McD hired him to be WR coach.......there it is.     

On the flip side McD hired Bob Babich Jr. and he recommended Jordan Poyer.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sometimes deviating from the course is necessary. Especially when you have a real opportunity infront of you.... I think adding a WR like Green would be big for Allen and could elevate the status of the team.

They probably should've beat the AFC super bowl favorites last week. They have a shot this year.... trading a 3rd or even 2nd round pick for a one year rental of an AJ Green or Stephon Diggs isn't going to kill you going forward and it immediately makes your team better.

Stephon Diggs is on a multi year contract. That wouldn't be a one year rental nor would it likely cost only a 2nd or third. AJ Green would be a one year deal though yes. But I doubt if we traded for him that we wouldn't re-up him for a few more years. Not the best strategy trading picks for one year of players, atleast not high picks.

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The rumor AT THE TIME(when nobody knew how great Mahomes would become) was that Whaley and The Pegs wanted to select Mahomes.

Phil McGeoghan was his coach in college..........McD hired him to be WR coach.......there it is.     

Win some, lose some.

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Because the process.

We are taking a shot. It's called building through using the process.

They've made it wildly constantly clear that their goal is building a consistently competitive team. Not taking shots in random years.

Except when they were "inquiring" on Antonio Brown?

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Huh?  I’m on this board every single day way too many times.  Never one time have I ever heard a rumor that Whaley and Pegulas wanted Mahomes, not once.  

So where was this rumor reported?  Any links to anything citing that?  Or was this more just basically fan speculation and there wasn’t really any substance to it?  It’s possible I missed it, but honestly never once seen anything suggesting this.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  I’m on this board every single day way too many times.  Never one time have I ever heard a rumor that Whaley and Pegulas wanted Mahomes, not once.  

So where was this alleged rumor?  Any links to anything citing that?  Or is this more just what you or other fans think and there wasn’t really any substance to it?  It’s possible I missed it, but honestly never once seen anything suggesting this.

Unless he has a link, it's a fiction.

• Like (+1) 1

I think McDermott has said as much but the reason they didn't take a QB in 2017 was because they didn't have the GM position and the front office staff figured out. McD didn't want to make such a massive decision with a GM who was on his way out the door. 

13 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Reallt makes you wonder about the Zay pick though, huh? Like, how much of that was Whaley’s influence for some of the guys that got passed over, maybe he’s just not great at WR evaluations?

The WR coach McDermott initially hired had been Zay's coach in college.  It doesn't require olympic skill in leaping to conclusions to believe that his coach lobbied hard for Zay and McDermott "bought it".  Whaley was involved in drafting Woods, Goodwin, and Watkins as well as bringing in Hogan.   McDermott and Beane together brought in Zay Jones, Benjamin, Corey Coleman, and Jordan Matthews amoung others.  I'd have to say looks like any problem with WR e v a l rests elsewhere than Whaley.

I don't have a source now, but I thought the rumor was Whaley wanted Watson.  Either way.

8 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Jeebus Virgil, can't you stick to the traditional methods?

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So where was this rumor reported?  Any links to anything citing that?  Or was this more just basically fan speculation and there wasn’t really any substance to it?  It’s possible I missed it, but honestly never once seen anything suggesting this.

Well,  you just need to consider the author of the post to figure out if there is any substance :p

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The WR coach McDermott initially hired had been Zay's coach in college.  It doesn't require olympic skill in leaping to conclusions to believe that his coach lobbied hard for Zay and McDermott "bought it".  Whaley was involved in drafting Woods, Goodwin, and Watkins as well as bringing in Hogan.   McDermott and Beane together brought in Zay Jones, Benjamin, Corey Coleman, and Jordan Matthews amoung others.  I'd have to say looks like any problem with WR e v a l rests elsewhere than Whaley.

I don't have a source now, but I thought the rumor was Whaley wanted Watson.  Either way.

Jeebus Virgil, can't you stick to the traditional methods?

I wanted to, but then I stumbled across that gem and couldn’t help myself.  

That man is my spirit animal 

4 hours ago, dje85 said:

Stephon Diggs is on a multi year contract. That wouldn't be a one year rental nor would it likely cost only a 2nd or third. AJ Green would be a one year deal though yes. But I doubt if we traded for him that we wouldn't re-up him for a few more years. Not the best strategy trading picks for one year of players, atleast not high picks.

Teams usually don't give up a quality draft pick and take on a huge salary.  Which is why I think Diggs will remain in Minnesota.  

5 hours ago, dneveu said:

And almost all the guys he drafted were at the senior bowl.  I wonder if we end up with Mahomes if he were a senior...

Mahomes was a big question mark. World of talent but very erratic in college. Possible we take him but unlikely. I think the strategy from the start was to get the extra first for McD’s second year to draft a QB high. 

18 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Mahomes was a big question mark. World of talent but very erratic in college. Possible we take him but unlikely. I think the strategy from the start was to get the extra first for McD’s second year to draft a QB high. 

He was erratic in college?? Not so. In his final year, he had a 66 percent completion rate, averaged 9.2 ypa, a 41/10 TD/INT ratio, 12 rushing TDs (53 total in only 12 games), and over 5000 passing yards. He was AMAZING his final season in college - no ifs, ands, or buts. The issue was the team's defense. The Texas Tech defense that season was ranked 128th out of 128 total teams, and they lost games by scores of 68-55, 66-59, 45-44, 44-38, and 45-37. 

Edited by dave mcbride

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He was erratic in college?? Not so. In his final year, he had a 66 percent completion rate, averaged 9.2 ypa, a 41/10 TD/INT ratio, 12 rushing TDs (53 total in only 12 games), and over 5000 passing yards. He was AMAZING his final season in college - no ifs, ands, or buts. The issue was the team's defense. The Texas Tech defense that season was ranked 128th out of 128 total teams, and they lost games by scores of 68-55, 66-59, 45-44, 44-38, and 45-37. 

I watched him a few times. He did have a great senior year but stats didn’t tell the story. That was the knock on him. He was erratic. He was wild. His streetball game wouldn’t translate. I didn’t just mean his passing was erratic and that’s probably my bad. His game was erratic. He would have been way higher rated if he wasn’t. 

• Like (+1) 1