Make the trade for Stephon Diggs

Hate to say it, but we aren't getting Diggs after his performance against the 'Iggles:

Stefon Diggs MIN

7 REC, 167 YDS, 3 TD

Unless we're dropping a first and Foster, I just don't see the Vikes giving him up.

And I'm generally an optimist on here. Just bummed McBeane didn't pull the trigger PRIOR to this week, because Diggs' stock just went through the roof.

And I'm sure Kraftichick is going to trade a cold turd in a burning bag for Diggs, use him to win the SB, then unload him and get a high comp pick... That's just how I see this going. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

We need elite talent added to this roster at a 'reasonable' price. The best way to do that is to draft well and pay the rookie contract rate for 5 years. IMO, we do very well to add a top 10 talent at OT, CB, DE and WR.

We already know that Beane is on the look out for a WR and DE. Beane also made it clear that he would make allowances to pursue free agents to augment the draft. The best time to do this is during the rookie contracts.

19 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

We need elite talent added to this roster at a 'reasonable' price. The best way to do that is to draft well and pay the rookie contract rate for 5 years. IMO, we do very well to add a top 10 talent at OT, CB, DE and WR.

Yep. I love this team’s chances next season if they draft top 10 talents at 4 positions in next years draft.

this is a good plan.

• Haha (+1) 2

This team wants the players it picked up to be given a shot 1st. This is why Duke has been brought up and Zay traded. We are not giving up 1st rd picks for any player that comes available. We also will be better able to determine where we need our improvements next year by letting the talent we do have get an opportunity to prove itself.

I know many have a lack of faith in unkown players but I have faith in Beane and McDermott to find those players who exceed expectation. But you have ot give them a shot to prove their owrth before you start brining in bodies at the trade deadline, which costs precious assets.

We also have John Brown performing at #1 WR level.... 

This love affair with AJ Green and Diggs to me is nothing more than brutally impatient Bills fans that always think the grass is greener. I for one am enjoying the Beane McDermott approach, and my confidence is high in the duo.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

This team wants the players it picked up to be given a shot 1st. This is why Duke has been brought up and Zay traded. We are not giving up 1st rd picks for any player that comes available. We also will be better able to determine where we need our improvements next year by letting the talent we do have get an opportunity to prove itself.

I know many have a lack of faith in unkown players but I have faith in Beane and McDermott to find those players who exceed expectation. But you have ot give them a shot to prove their owrth before you start brining in bodies at the trade deadline, which costs precious assets.

This love affair with AJ Green and Diggs to me is nothing more than brutally impatient Bills fans that always think the grass is greener. I for one am enjoying the Beane McDermott approach, and my confidence is high in the duo.

IDK. I’m certainly not for Green: old, often injured, and going into FA. Diggs though is 26 and signed through 2023.... Fits a long term plan as well as improving this season. When you consider that this team will likely draft in the 20’s trading a 1st for Diggs wouldn’t be contrary to Beane’s team building approach. 

That said, I seriously doubt Diggs gets traded, especially during the season. 

43 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I’m generally in agreement with your position, but it really is different THIS year. The schedule the Football Gods have bestowed on us must take a complete buy in to complete. I see no path to the AFC Championship, let alone the Super Bowl without adding a truly game-breaking Wideout. Personally, I’d be all in on Diggs!

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/5/2019 at 12:16 PM, RyanC883 said:

if no crazy contract a 2nd may be okay.  I"m just thinking of how deep the WR class is.  However, Diggs has already proven to be great.  A lineup of Diggs, Brown, Beasly and Williams (based on potential) is a great lineup.  

Yep, a proven, young player is better than a draft pick at WR. The time for a drafted WR was last year or earlier. 

37 minutes ago, H2o said:

Minnesota isn't going to trade Diggs

Yeah, after yesterday this pipe-dream is officially dead. Bummer.

On 10/5/2019 at 12:16 PM, RyanC883 said:

if no crazy contract a 2nd may be okay.  I"m just thinking of how deep the WR class is.  However, Diggs has already proven to be great.  A lineup of Diggs, Brown, Beasly and Williams (based on potential) is a great lineup.  

His contract is about $13M/season for 4 more years. That's a lot of money for a WR, and why I really dont want to trade anything higher than a 3rd.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, after yesterday this pipe-dream is officially dead. Bummer.

I don't think it was ever anything more than a pipe-dream. The Vikings are all in on the season and they were healthily around .500 all season. Diggs is young and locked in on a fair deal. He wasn't going anywhere.

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

This I think is actually pretty true people want things to just be fixed on offense like waving a magic wand but the truth is this offense needs experience with each other and Allen needs more experience in the NFL. They've got to work through the rough patches and get clicking on all cylinders adding another good piece would improve the group of course but they still wouldn't necessarily be meshing.

• Like (+1) 1

Those saying Diggs is better than Thielen, I just don't see it. Thielen is one of the better WR's in the league, in my opinion. He's an excellent route runner. He makes contested catches routinely. He's got size and speed. Diggs is a good #2 WR though.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Still never got why a team with SB hopes was going to trade one of their best players in the middle of the season. 

And i got Diggs for Greg Olsen 2 weeks ago in fantasy. ?

I think it was more that the player wanted out, than the team wanted to move him.

If that player is going to skip practices, and bring down the team, then you have to start weighing options.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Those saying Diggs is better than Thielen, I just don't see it. Thielen is one of the better WR's in the league, in my opinion. He's an excellent route runner. He makes contested catches routinely. He's got size and speed. Diggs is a good #2 WR though.

A lot of people do this a lot but you don’t have to always compare players. They benefit from playing with each other. Good offenses have multiple threats.  It’s why Sammy (it’s sad he is made out of glass) got $16 million.  John Brown would be a more dangerous receiver if we had another legit threat across from him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

A lot of people do this a lot but you don’t have to always compare players. They benefit from playing with each other. Good offenses have multiple threats.  It’s why Sammy (it’s sad he is made out of glass) got $16 million.  John Brown would be a more dangerous receiver if we had another legit threat across from him. 

That's true and I agree. There were just posters on here making that comparison and saying Diggs is better than Thielen. I disagree.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

That's true and I agree. There were just posters on here making that comparison and saying Diggs is better than Thielen. I disagree.

I tend to agree AT is the better all around receiver.  And to think he went Undrafted and was just a local guy for them. 

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think it was more that the player wanted out, than the team wanted to move him.

If that player is going to skip practices, and bring down the team, then you have to start weighing options.

Yeah, that’s a good point. Personally, I’d tell the play to shut up and play. Then you can trade them in the offense.  Diggs benefits from playing too.

but I’m sure it’s all water under the bridge now.  

31 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m generally in agreement with your position, but it really is different THIS year. The schedule the Football Gods have bestowed on us must take a complete buy in to complete. I see no path to the AFC Championship, let alone the Super Bowl without adding a truly game-breaking Wideout. Personally, I’d be all in on Diggs!

Then you fall into the category that the grass is greener and are window is small for winning it all. I think we are sitting pretty at WR with Zay gone and Duke up.

I honestly only  see us wasting resources trying to make the big splash trade. We would be better served keeping that powder dry because I believe this team will be better served making their moves next offseason in FA and still keep our top draft picks.

I also believe this team as it stands will get better as the year progresses.

I just don't see the need for Diggs or Greene. We already have the #1 WR in John Brown. You also are obviously thinking because Duke is a undrafted CFL player that he has no chance of having that impact for us. I disagree and believe Diggs or Green only serve to reduce the playtime form someone like Duke I think will fill the roll we'd hope Zay could.

IMO Allen's awareness and our WR scramble fire drill when Allen running around, are the only improvements we need at WR IMO. 

Edited by ddaryl