Make the trade for Stephon Diggs

The difference between Diggs/Green and sitting pat is that no one has to respect the outside of the field that is opposite John Brown now. If we want to be serious contenders and want to open the seams or stop letting people cheat safeties toward Brown we need someone on the other side who scares people. Green is higher risk because of the injury but has higher ability and will come at a cheaper price and can be a rental if he doesn't work out. Diggs is a risk because of attitude, what they are likely wanting for him, and if he flubs you are stuck with some contract term. He is however locked in at a reasonable price for a productive NFL wideout. Right now we need to look at KC as the standard bearer and say is there ever enough weapons? The answer is always no. Promoting Duke Williams vs signing a proven WR is not making us a contender, its accepting that we may make the playoffs but that we don't seriously believe we can win much when we get there IMO.

For debate sake............

if it’s not a WR the Bills are after and if it’s Trent Williams..............

Can Williams play RT, cause they won’t be moving Dawkins over to RT mid season. Would they?

After all, if the Bills actually acquired an 8-time all pro LT, Dawkins probably doesn’t have a say in the matter and might have to slide over to the right side. Thank 

Edited by njbuff

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....and according to the TBD'ers who are well versed in collegiate ball, the 2020 WR class is "the best in years"......no way McBeane coughs up a 1st or 2nd IMO......

I’d rather lose a pick and get a proven player on a decent contract that roll the dice with a rookie 

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....what do you think is McBeane's style though?......I just see him as "pick(s) protective"........

I see him as "win a championship protective."  That means there will be a time where he will start to go for it and not do what he did to build the team.  I just think in his mind that is probably next year or the year after with all the $ we have.

Edited by Locomark

5 minutes ago, Locomark said:

I see him as "win a championship protective."  That means there will be a time where he will start to go for it and not do what he did to build the team.  I just think in his mind that is probably next year or the year after with all the $ we have.

...very fair assessment IMO....:thumbsup:....he picks and chooses his "spots"...and so far so good.....

On 10/3/2019 at 2:14 PM, whatdrought said:

And then we used a first round pick to draft him. You still only get the one player for that pick.

2014 1st rounder  + 2015 first rounder = Sammy Watkins in a Bills uniform. 

He cost us a total asset investment of 2 first round picks. 

Meanwhile, we could have had 

Mike Evans for the same price

OBJ for 1 pick

Brandin Cooks for 1 pick

Devante Adams for 1 pick

Jarvis Landry for 1 pick 

Allen Robinson for 1 pick. 

Now, obviously hindsight is 20-20 and there’s only so much we can fault them for. That being said, trading up to select what is one of the deepest positions of the draft is never smart. 

again, people just don't want to or can't comprehend what I said. it wasn't about the trade, it was about people complaining" WE GAVE UP 2 IST ROUNDERS TO DRAFT SAMMY WATKINS!!!" Again they didn't give up 2 1st rounders they gave up 1, and I understand the reasoning of the people who were against doing the deal.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I don’t think it’s happening. A team would have to make Minnie an offer they couldn’t refuse like two very high draft picks.  

yeah, if it's anything above a 2nd, I don't see it happening.  Even with a 2nd, I don't see the Bills doing it.  

Sammy Watkins has not worked out for anyone. Bills gave up too much draft capital.  Rams paid too much for a 1 year rental  Chiefs paying Sammy 16 Mill a year for limited production. 

Just now, RyanC883 said:

yeah, if it's anything above a 2nd, I don't see it happening.  Even with a 2nd, I don't see the Bills doing it.  

His contract is not crazy.  A young top wr for a 2nd seems reasonable  A 3rd for Green seems ok

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Sammy Watkins has not worked out for anyone. Bills gave up too much draft capital.  Rams paid too much for a 1 year rental  Chiefs paying Sammy 16 Mill a year for limited production. 

His contract is not crazy.  A young top wr for a 2nd seems reasonable  A 3rd for Green seems ok

if no crazy contract a 2nd may be okay.  I"m just thinking of how deep the WR class is.  However, Diggs has already proven to be great.  A lineup of Diggs, Brown, Beasly and Williams (based on potential) is a great lineup.  

1 hour ago, SteveFreeman22 said:

again, people just don't want to or can't comprehend what I said. it wasn't about the trade, it was about people complaining" WE GAVE UP 2 IST ROUNDERS TO DRAFT SAMMY WATKINS!!!" Again they didn't give up 2 1st rounders they gave up 1, and I understand the reasoning of the people who were against doing the deal.

We did give up two first rounders to draft him...

1 as part of the trade, and 1 as the draft.

we gave up 1 great round pick to draft Ed Oliver.

...ouch...............

Sources: Vikings fine Stefon Diggs over $200,000 for unexcused absences from practice, meetings

• Chris Mortensen
  • Adam Schefter  8:33 AM

Diggs missed all team meetings Monday and Tuesday as well as two practices, but he is expected to be active Sunday when the Vikings visit the New York Giants, according to sources.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27780366/sources-vikings-fine-stefon-diggs-200000-unexcused-absences-practice-meetings

41 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...ouch...............

Sources: Vikings fine Stefon Diggs over $200,000 for unexcused absences from practice, meetings

• Chris Mortensen
  • Adam Schefter  8:33 AM

Diggs missed all team meetings Monday and Tuesday as well as two practices, but he is expected to be active Sunday when the Vikings visit the New York Giants, according to sources.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27780366/sources-vikings-fine-stefon-diggs-200000-unexcused-absences-practice-meetings

But they aren’t going to trade him? 

Seems unlikely

Well if we don't go after Diggs or Green, the Pats will. We will again be left holding the bag asking why we can't have nice things and complaining about them instead. Why can't we finally be in front of our competition for once...