Make the trade for Stephon Diggs

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I was only talking prospect, which is what we were discussing. Wilson has it all. He has great technique, footwork, ball-handling, running, scrambling, can throw accurately running to either side with tremendous velocity, was smart (learned the Wisconsin offense in two weeks), etc. Virtually everything you want in a prospect he had in spades. Except height. Everyone including the Seahawks thought his height would affect his play in the NFL to some degree, and everyone was obviously wrong. Everything else he has in spades.

exactly.  and it still puzzles me we did not draft him.  Brees and others (including Flutie when on Bills)  had already proven that with the other stuff height wont hold you back. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

exactly.  and it still puzzles me we did not draft him.  Brees and others (including Flutie when on Bills)  had already proven that with the other stuff height wont hold you back. 

Because our GM was an idiot.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I love watching Wilson, too, but he was a WAY better prospect than Mahomes. He did everything well except grow. I agree with you about the streetball idea, although Mahomes may be an abberration.

I don't know where you get this...........Wilson was considered too small and hadn't even been a pro prospect until his senior year.   He was a sub 60% passer for his first 3 seasons at NC State and wasn't exactly making up for it with big plays.    He made a big leap as a senior but he would have been lucky to be drafted at all if he declared after his junior year.

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I was only talking prospect, which is what we were discussing. Wilson has it all. He has great technique, footwork, ball-handling, running, scrambling, can throw accurately running to either side with tremendous velocity, was smart (learned the Wisconsin offense in two weeks), etc. Virtually everything you want in a prospect he had in spades. Except height. Everyone including the Seahawks thought his height would affect his play in the NFL to some degree, and everyone was obviously wrong. Everything else he has in spades.

Yes.  Wilson had "it" and it was obvious.  If he were three inches taller he'd have been picked top 5.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

From 2000 to 2005, you would have been crazy to suggest Brady over Manning. 2005 to present? Not so much.

For me, Manning is easily an all time great, but he also is over rated a bit within those all time rankings because he wasn't as good in the post season as he was in the regular season.  

9 times with the Colts he was the #1 seed in the AFC and didn't win a playoff game...thats an NFL record by the way.  He had the greatest offense in NFL history with the Broncos and got blown out by a defensive and run oriented Seahawk team in the Super Bowl too.  

I have long stated the following: 

Brady > Manning

Warner > Manning

I would take Kurt Warner in a heartbeat over Peyton Manning in the playoffs.  Peyton Manning was king of the regular season and a then not as good in the post season (see A-Rod in MLB) while Kurt Warner not only was a stud and HOF level QB during the regular season, but he was hands down one of the best ever in the Post Season.  

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think they should or will let either go. Last year, minny got a new toy in cousins and threw way too much. With cousins at the helm it blew up in there face. 8-7 record when they had sb aspirations. Cousins isn't as good as minny thought he was. I've only watched 1 of their games and they seem to be running more. Those wrs were loving the touches last year, but it appears minny doesn't want cousins throwing 40-50 times a game. And the wr are frustrated, most would be after last year. He's on pace for a little over 2900 yds after almost 4300 last yr. Not good, but minny needs those 2 and would be foolish to get rid of either just cuz they're crying like little *****. Minny's a good team and their window is now. They have a really good d, a great rb, stacked at wr and have a really good te. Cousins needs to play better. If they go on a winning streak. I think those 2 quiet down a bit. Their only 1 game out in their division. If I'm management, no way do I let either go. This isn't the same situation as the phins.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

WAY better. Wilson was a better version of what he does now in college. He was better as a senior than RGIII who was said to have one of the best seasons of all time that same year. He did everything textbook, he was just short, his ONLY fault and the only reason he wasn't taken at the very top. You like stats so much. Mahomes averaged 8.5 per attempt, Wilson 10.3. Wilson threw 33 TDs and 4 INTs. Mahomes had a 157 rating and Wilson's was 192. Mahomes completed 67% and Wilson 73%.

See my point above about talent levels in the two programs. Wisconsin was (and is) a powerhouse — 6 players drafted in the year Wilson came out (2012 draft): a first rounder, a second rounder, a third rounder (Wilson), a fourth, a fifth, and a sixth. They won the big 10 conference championship every year from 2010-2012 (Wilson played there in 2011).  

The year Mahomes was drafted, he was the only Tech player drafted and they went 5-7 because they had the worst defense in the nation.

Regardless, Wilson should have been a first round pick, and if he came out in the last couple of years, he would have been a top-five pick given what we know now about Mahomes, Murray, Mayfield, and Wilson himself. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

See my point above about talent levels in the two programs. Wisconsin was (and is) a powerhouse — 6 players drafted in the year Wilson came out (2012 draft): a first rounder, a second rounder, a third rounder (Wilson), a fourth, a fifth, and a sixth. They won the big 10 conference championship every year from 2010-2012 (Wilson played there in 2011).  

The year Mahomes was drafted, he was the only Tech player drafted and they went 5-7 because they had the worst defense in the nation.

Regardless, Wilson should have been a first round pick, and if he came out in the last couple of years, he would have been a top-five pick given what we know now about Mahomes, Murray, Mayfield, and Wilson himself. 

I don’t think the fact he played at Wisc was the primary reason - people thought he was too short. And those people are dumb.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I don’t think the fact he played at Wisc was the primary reason - people thought he was too short. And those people are dumb.

KtD is bringing up stats in an attempt to show he was a better prospect than Mahomes, which is why I’m bringing the larger context in.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lot of teams whiffed on Wilson  Short qbs rarely are able to figure out a way to succeed in the NFL.  Mahomes thing is old.  People have been stumping for the Bills to draft various qbs for the past 20 years Most of them not only didnt pan out but were terrible.  I seem to remember people going ga ga over Brady Quinn and Jake Locker.  We got Allen , happy to have him and lets see where we are by end of 2020.  Back onto Stefon Diggs, next years FA wr class kind of sucks.  Filling a void before the next off season seems prudent to me. Less holes we have the more focused Beane can be to not get distracted an reach for players from need.   Depending on compensation he's worth a kick of the tires as is Green.

54 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

KtD is bringing up stats in an attempt to show he was a better prospect than Mahomes, which is why I’m bringing the larger context in.

That wasn’t my main point. I brought up those stats because you’re a big stat guy. The reason he was so good a prospect is because everything the scouts look for he excelled at. Except size. 

On 9/29/2019 at 4:56 PM, mattynh said:

Diggs will not all of a sudden make Allen make better decisions.  I know you dont agree but Diggs will have no noticeable impact on this offense.

I think I agree. The guy that would probably make a bigger impact would be Emanuel Sanders. It would be like having two John Browns running around out there.  I would kick the tires on Sanders. 

23 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Lot of teams whiffed on Wilson  Short qbs rarely are able to figure out a way to succeed in the NFL.  Mahomes thing is old.  People have been stumping for the Bills to draft various qbs for the past 20 years Most of them not only didnt pan out but were terrible.  I seem to remember people going ga ga over Brady Quinn and Jake Locker.  We got Allen , happy to have him and lets see where we are by end of 2020.  Back onto Stefon Diggs, next years FA wr class kind of sucks.  Filling a void before the next off season seems prudent to me. Less holes we have the more focused Beane can be to not get distracted an reach for players from need.   Depending on compensation he's worth a kick of the tires as is Green.

Josh Allen is the first QB that the moribund Bills franchise has traded up from their first pick to draft or even just selected with their original first pick in round one since 1960.

Let's not pretend that anything close to adequate effort was made to address the QB position.

People were right to be stumping for QB's.......in 2017 the Bills had just 2 of their first round picks on the roster to show for 17 years of missing the playoffs.........and yet went 9-7......further proving that first round picks are an over rated method of acquiring talent and ones not used on QB's are generally of negligible value in the big picture of franchise success.

That being the case.........taking shots on the QB position in round 1 and risking failure is the smarter choice than renting a defensive player for 4-5 years..........which is what McD chose to do.

Hopefully it works out but you don't put off addressing the QB position even if that means doing something like Arizona did last year...........a great QB is worth a mountain of first round picks.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Josh Allen is the first QB that the moribund Bills franchise has traded up from their first pick to draft or even just selected with their original first pick in round one since 1960.

Let's not pretend that anything close to adequate effort was made to address the QB position.

People were right to be stumping for QB's.......in 2017 the Bills had just 2 of their first round picks on the roster to show for 17 years of missing the playoffs.........and yet went 9-7......further proving that first round picks are an over rated method of acquiring talent and ones not used on QB's are generally of negligible value in the big picture of franchise success.

That being the case.........taking shots on the QB position in round 1 and risking failure is the smarter choice than renting a defensive player for 4-5 years..........which is what McD chose to do.

Hopefully it works out but you don't put off addressing the QB position even if that means doing something like Arizona did last year...........a great QB is worth a mountain of first round picks.

You are correct  My point was drafting qbs is potluck  Mahomes may indeed be great but nobody could have predicted that a 100%.  Just sick of hearing about mahomes. he's a Chief we have Allen time to let that dog lie