Make the trade for Stephon Diggs

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Hrs definitely been noticeable This season. 

I feel like Diggs can do it all. He’s athletically similar to Sammy imo

What makes Watkins special is that he catches a ball 50 yards down the field with the same ease as he does 10 yards down the field and he has an extra gear to go get a deep ball.

Diggs is very good and better than Watkins at short to intermediate stuff.........but while he is famous for making a big play on a blown coverage in the playoffs.........he's really been a text book modern possession receiver like Jarvis Landry.      Just not explosive enough or with enough range to be one of the elite IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What makes Watkins special is that he catches a ball 50 yards down the field with the same ease as he does 10 yards down the field and he has an extra gear to go get a deep ball.

Diggs is very good and better than Watkins at short to intermediate stuff.........but while he is famous for making a big play on a blown coverage in the playoffs.........he's really been a text book modern possession receiver like Jarvis Landry.      Just not explosive enough or with enough range to be one of the elite IMO.

I see you... I just don’t think deep ball is where this offense is. I see Josh being able to kill defenses by attacking the 10-25 yard area sideline to sideline by getting the ball there quickly.  Has he ever hit a bomb in the pros?  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The bolded is why Ben Roethlisberger ended up in Pittsburgh instead of Buffalo.............and waiting and swooping in for the last prospect(JP Losman) cost the Bills a chance to select Aaron Rodgers the next year............so ya' know.........you are just oh-so very wrong.

Go get the guy you think is clearly the best player.

That was Watkins in the opinion of most.

If Watkins doesn't get boo-boo foot he'd have been a perennial 1200+ yard WR.........and he's still young and on pace for about 1400 this season.

Oh and when a great QB prospect falls in your lap and you need one........like Mahomes...........just f*cking take the guy and don't look back.........don't get cute and trade back with someone else who wants him.

First round picks not used on QB's are vastly overrated commodities.

The Bills went 9-7 and made the playoffs in 2017 with just 2 of their first round picks on the roster...........and one of them was Shaq and he sucked that year. 

You’re right- that philosophy doesn’t apply to QB’s. You go get your guy.

Watkins didn’t work out, and that’s fine. Draft picks often don’t work out. And sometimes trading up to get a guy is a good play (falcons and Julio come to mind) but with Mike Evans, Odell, and Sammy all in that 1-15 range, how big was the drop off really? Maybe that’s hindsight again, but going into the draft there was a lot of love for all three of those guys and it’s hard to justify that much of a premium paid to get 1 instead of either of the other two. 

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I see you... I just don’t think deep ball is where this offense is. I see Josh being able to kill defenses by attacking the 10-25 yard area sideline to sideline by getting the ball there quickly.  Has he ever hit a bomb in the pros?  

Agree, Josh best ball is that 10-25 yard strike.  It’s not been his deep touch at least so far.  Diggs excels in that 10-25 yard range IMO, so while I am skeptical we are trading for him or that he’s even gonna be traded, I am hopeful and think he would be a good fit.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If Watkins doesn't get boo-boo foot he'd have been a perennial 1200+ yard WR.........and he's still young and on pace for about 1400 this season.

A bit disappointing though.  After the first game, he was on track for a 3,200 yard season.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Watkins didn’t work out, and that’s fine. Draft picks often don’t work out. And sometimes trading up to get a guy is a good play (falcons and Julio come to mind) but with Mike Evans, Odell, and Sammy all in that 1-15 range, how big was the drop off really? Maybe that’s hindsight again, but going into the draft there was a lot of love for all three of those guys and it’s hard to justify that much of a premium paid to get 1 instead of either of the other two. 

What people forget is that there was a big WR drought after that draft.    Many years of poor prospects.   NFL execs knew that it was an oasis draft for the position and I can't blame Whaley for wanting the best one for the QB he had.   Whaley didn't get the job done but he was at least as unlucky as he was bad.    No Bills GM has had worse timing ascending to the job than that dude.   Ownership transition,  coaches forced on him and constantly changing schemes, bad QB drafts to choose from etc...    My old man always said better lucky than good and that dude was both unlucky and not cut out for the entirety of an NFL GM's role.    Biggest mistake was not firing him IMMEDIATELY when they hired McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What people forget is that there was a big WR drought after that draft.    Many years of poor prospects.   NFL execs knew that it was an oasis draft for the position and I can't blame Whaley for wanting the best one for the QB he had.   Whaley didn't get the job done but he was at least as unlucky as he was bad.    No Bills GM has had worse timing ascending to the job than that dude.   Ownership transition,  coaches forced on him and constantly changing schemes, bad QB drafts to choose from etc...    My old man always said better lucky than good and that dude was both unlucky and not cut out for the entirety of an NFL GM's role.    Biggest mistake was not firing him IMMEDIATELY when they hired McDermott. 

PPL just forget the Sammy Watkins situation.....the feet thing really ended u making a difference and he didnt find his final landing spot immediately in KC

If he could stay healthy he would still be here

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You made me look it up, because I was sure McD wasnt hired until right before draft and then there wouldnt have been time for a new GM and team to be ready for the draft. But nope, McDermott was hired Jan 11th. Agreed, Pegulas should have cleaned house. Hopefully they are learning from all these lessons at the start of their ownership.

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Robert Foster

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Reallt makes you wonder about the Zay pick though, huh? Like, how much of that was Whaley’s influence for some of the guys that got passed over, maybe he’s just not great at WR evaluations?

21 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Reallt makes you wonder about the Zay pick though, huh? Like, how much of that was Whaley’s influence for some of the guys that got passed over, maybe he’s just not great at WR evaluations?

McD basically ran the draft with Whaley's guys and board.

5 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I thought if we didn’t trade up we were drafting a WR and if we traded up we were taking Mack. This is just a few hundred reasons that I hate Whaley and Brandon 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/30/2019 at 8:14 AM, John from Riverside said:

Would much rather have him running those deep throws then Zay Jones

That is all

That is like, not much.

But at $14.4 mill per year, since bringing in expensive FAs isn't really the process, we know this is a wildly unlikely possibility.

If they're unhappy with Zay by the end of the year, you can bet they'll try to replace him in the draft or with a low- to mid-priced FA or trade

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The bolded is why Ben Roethlisberger ended up in Pittsburgh instead of Buffalo.............and waiting and swooping in for the last prospect(JP Losman) cost the Bills a chance to select Aaron Rodgers the next year............so ya' know.........you are just oh-so very wrong.

Go get the guy you think is clearly the best player.

That was Watkins in the opinion of most.

Oh and when a great QB prospect falls in your lap and you need one........like Mahomes...........just f*cking take the guy and don't look back.........don't get cute and trade back with someone else who wants him.

Agreed on Roethlisberger and Losman. Too cheap to trade up.

But it's more than boo-boo foot that has kept Watkin around the 50th most productive WR in the league over his time as a pro. Even on the Rams and Bills when healthy, very average production. You're right that the injuries have been the major issue, but far from the only one. And yeah, he's on pace for about 1400 yards this season. But you could also say that based on his last three games he's on a pace for 890. Or you could say that in his first year he was on a pace for 1200 yards after a couple of games. On the Rams he was on a pace for over 1000 through three games.

Sammy has a history of one or two games a year where he dominates, and then disappearing for much of the year. Still far too early to say whether this year will be different, but 198, 49, 64 and 54 isn't exactly bucking that trend.

And with hindsight maybe Mahomes should have been grabbed, but knowing that the next year was widely considered a great year for QBs, with a GM who'd gone all in on EJ Manuel, when the buck stops with a head coach who was in his first year on a new team who feels he'd been too busy getting his whole system put in place to put in enough time in study on a young guy who was widely considered to have a high upside but to be a very risky pick ... sorry, passing makes a ton of sense to me under those circumstances.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

That is like, not much.

But at $14.4 mill per year, since bringing in expensive FAs isn't really the process, we know this is a wildly unlikely possibility.

If they're unhappy with Zay by the end of the year, you can bet they'll try to replace him in the draft or with a low- to mid-priced FA or trade

What about this year?

We have an extremely easy schedule....a championship caliber defense.....Why shouldnt we take a shot?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

What about this year?

We have an extremely easy schedule....a championship caliber defense.....Why shouldnt we take a shot?

Because the process.

We are taking a shot. It's called building through using the process.

They've made it wildly constantly clear that their goal is building a consistently competitive team. Not taking shots in random years.

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Funny thing is that Mahomes played last year with almost entirely the same talent that a then struggling Bills defense nearly shut out in KC in 2017.

Funny how Hill and Hunt and Kelce weren't so scary with a game managing QB and Andy Reid.

Watch the games...........it's the play of that QB.

Post more

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1