Josh Allen Failed His First Big Test

corta765

The frustrating part is that if the Bills had an average offense, one that puts up 23 points a game and doesn't turn the ball over an inordinate amount of times , this would be a team that could challenge for the division title and be a legit SB contender because of the D. 

I'm hoping to see a lot of progress throughout the year, both from Allen and from the rebuilt offense to finally gel. Get it together by year's end and they might have to do it on the road, but they'll be a team nobody will want to play in the playoffs.

50 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Basically, yes. He took a terrible sack that was totally unnecessary because he didn't read what was in front of him. It made the kick a lot more difficult. 

So if Allen makes a play that causes a FG to be easier and the kicker misses it, did Allen basically make the FG?

Just now, BUFFALOBART said:

That was an October (21st) Monday Night game against the Bengals. Remember it well..

Jimbo shrugged the 3 picks, and the Bills won 35-16

Petrino & I were at the game together & a bunch of people from our agency were there because they scheduled a regional managers meeting in Batavia that day & the regional manager in Batavia got them group tickets.  We were laughing at the beginning saying the managers picked the worst game to go to.  Fortunately the D kept us in the game early & then the offense straightened things out.  

15 minutes ago, White Linen said:

So if Allen makes a play that causes a FG to be easier and the kicker misses it, did Allen basically make the FG?

Hauschka's kick would have been good from 44 yards or 34 yards. It wasn't good from 49 yards, which is a spot where kicks become 50-50 affairs. If he hadn't taken the sack, it' would have been a 44 yard kick. 

My larger point is that when you're in that 25-30 yard-line range, you simply cannot take a sack on 3rd down. He does it way too frequently.

Edited by dave mcbride

33 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Yes I do and acknowledge but making the FG harder and missing it is different right?

29 minutes ago, White Linen said:

You're making some real bizarre comments.

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Hauschka's kick would have been good from 44 yards or 34 yards. It wasn't good from 49 yards, which is a spot where kicks become 50-50 affairs. If he hadn't taken the sack, it' would have been a 44 yard kick. 

My larger point is that when you're in that 25-30 yard-line range, you simply cannot take a sack on 3rd down. He does it way too frequently.

I totally understand your point.  Mine is, the special teams were atrocious in this game.  They contributed to losing the game maybe even as much as Allen.  If we're going to allow our young QB to grow and go through these very typical things - to win with our defense, our special teams has to stop playing so poorly.  

Just now, White Linen said:

I totally understand your point.  Mine is, the special teams were atrocious in this game.  They contributed to losing the game maybe even as much as Allen.  If we're going to allow our young QB to grow and go through these very typical things - to win with our defense, our special teams has to stop playing so poorly.  

I agree that our STs are a problem overall, but Hauschka is fine. He's not going to make every kick, and missing by a whisker from 49 and missing a prayer 58-yard attempt are his only misses all season. I can live with that.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I agree that our STs are a problem overall, but Hauschka is fine. He's not going to make every kick, and missing by a whisker from 49 and missing a prayer 58-yard attempt are his only misses all season. I can live with that.

I certainly don't think our place kicker should be replaced but I can't live with him missing that kick.  If he misses one and it doesn't have implications on the outcome then I can live with it.  If we're down by 3 and can kick a FG to tie instead of going for it on 4th down with our back up QB, it's potentially a different outcome.  Obviously the blocked punt resulting in a TD could also have made the difference.  

It has to stop as much as Allen throwing deep to unopen receivers.  

I don't think he failed so much as BB won yet another round.  BB is the master.  A true genius of football.  He's proved it time and again.  If you want to say JA failed then you need to put that into perspective by adding him to a very big pile of young QB's that BB has eaten up and spit out over the years.

There will never be an end to these kinds of threads along this general narrative.  Why bother considering how little development JA has had compared to nearly every other QB in the league, ever?  That must be too difficult to understand.  To do that, you'd have to sit back and wait longer, say 2-3 full seasons at the very least, to judge him until you've given him ample time to develop in the pros, regardless of how he got to this point and how little his journey prepared him for this level. There's no fun in that, right?  I hope to hell I can resist responding to these JA threads from now on.  It's a complete waste of time.  I know I'll take the bait again but it's getting really old.

Edited by Distorted One