Josh Allen Failed His First Big Test

corta765

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

By he you mean Leonard Fournette ? 

No, I'm talking about the QB with 7 TDs, 1 Int and a QB rating of about 110. 

For a guy who likely didn't get many reps in training camp, he's been excellent. 

Nick Foles might have lost his job again. 

Edited by jrober38

Allen was at times trying to do to much and he also made some plain bad decisions.  And I don't blame him for most the sacks that occurred either.  THere was 1 sack was his fault because he simply held the ball to long and he just has to make the best play available even if its throwing the ball away.   Some of those sacks he had no chance at all.  Up the middle its hard to get away from.   Still I think the Bills might have won had he not got hurt.   He just has to play more consistent and not come out in 1st qtr like he's shell shocked. He did start out 2nd half well.  Its too bad a personal foul like that in the NFL is barely even penalized.  

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Nope.  But you really don''t get to dismiss the interceptions.

I've said it before I'll say it again. This team will only go as far as the defense will take it. Today was one of the best defensive efforts I can recall, and an offensive performance that was absolutely putrid. Allen may turn out to be a franchise type QB, but anyone suggesting that is a certainty just hasn't been paying attention. His first half today was just north of a Peterman performance, and all three INTs were just bad throws on bad decisions. NE may have a good defense, but those throws were inexcusable.

If the Bills win more than 8 games it will be because the defense holds steady. Just have to hope it stays relatively injury free.

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

4 Turnovers plus a sack that took them out of FG range. He was a big part of the points NE got and the lack of scoring we had. For right now it’s OK but it forces some not fun questions about his play which is very up and down

I think Tom Terrific is the GOAT at throwing balls in the dirt.  When will Josh pick up this skill??  

I was at the game.  Pretty poor game by Josh but the overall gameplay by the offense was not good and execution was lacking.  

Too many passes, especially early.  We needed more Gore.  If he can’t carry a bigger load then we need Singletary back ASAP.   I sure wish we had McCoy.  

Allen was responsible for several sacks by holding the ball too long.  The pass blocking was not consistent and they had trouble with blitzes.  There were times when he had time to throw but no one was open or he failed to find the open man.   The WRs were not good.  Zay Jones is not a  good player.  Smith at TE was a disaster.  

So the sacks and the picks were mostly a team effort.  

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Nope.  But you really don''t get to dismiss the interceptions.

I didn't but we can't ignore that a missed FG caused us to need to go for a TD on 4th down with our back up QB.  We have a young and inexperienced QB that when the defense plays that great , and can ill afford to have the special teams to play that badly.

10 minutes ago, IronyAbounds said:

I've said it before I'll say it again. This team will only go as far as the defense will take it. Today was one of the best defensive efforts I can recall, and an offensive performance that was absolutely putrid. Allen may turn out to be a franchise type QB, but anyone suggesting that is a certainty just hasn't been paying attention. His first half today was just north of a Peterman performance, and all three INTs were just bad throws on bad decisions. NE may have a good defense, but those throws were inexcusable.

If the Bills win more than 8 games it will be because the defense holds steady. Just have to hope it stays relatively injury free.

Then how do you explain today? Defense was awesome.

5 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I didn't but we can't ignore that a missed FG caused us to need to go for a TD on 4th down with our back up QB.  We have a young and inexperienced QB that when the defense plays that great , and can ill afford to have the special teams to play that badly.

I'm not ignoring the other mistakes. But the miss FG was aided by Allen's poor pocket awareness and taking yet another costly 3rd down sack.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Then how do you explain today? Defense was awesome.

Yeah, and it gave the team a chance to win. Just like it won the first three games. Even a below average game by the offense would carried the day today. Putrid, on the other hand, left the Bills a TD short.

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

for the record he has 8 TOs. Only 2 lost Fumbles. 

This!

And the Beasley bounce a couple weeks ago wasnt Allen's fault and the sideline int today should have been an incomplete pass the refs got wrong but they count against him. He should have only 4 ints and 2 lost fumbles for only 6 TOs. 

1 hour ago, IronyAbounds said:

Yeah, and it gave the team a chance to win. Just like it won the first three games. Even a below average game by the offense would carried the day today. Putrid, on the other hand, left the Bills a TD short.

I agree, but that just means we won't go as far as our defense takes us. We'll go as far as all three units go, plus how our coaches do.

This was the first time in which Allen seemed rattled by the moment. I've seen him overzealous. I haven't seen him look as tentative as he did in that first half. He was aiming and not throwing. Errant passes all over the place. His shortcomings were magnified (IMO) by the big stage.

He is young and this was his first "big game," but I didn't like what I saw in that regard.

On the flip side, he DID demonstrate the mental fortitude to keep going and appeared less rattled as the game wore on. That's good. But if he plays well early in that game, the Bills win. Maybe he would have come back and won it. There's no way of knowing for sure. It's a shame we weren't able to find out. I would have felt a lot more confident they'd score a TD once they got into the RZ with Allen at QB. But would he have made another mistake or would he have gotten the team into that position? Again, shame we weren't able to find out.

My hope is that he'll grow from the experience and come out confident the next go round, but it was discouraging. Not "write the guy off" discouraging, but discouraging nonetheless. 

The kid is a fighter and extremely easy to root for, but he's gonna have to play a whole lot better if he's ever gonna be THE GUY. I know he doesn't suck. I know he's not going to wash out of the league. What I don't know is whether or not he's gonna be able to cut down on the miscues to the extent that he can be relied upon game in and game out. Not trying to p*** in anyone's Cheerios, but that's the way I see it. We'll see what happens.

6 hours ago, corta765 said:

Right. He’s had two good games (Jets Giants) one average (Bengals) and one bad which was today which makes you ask some hard questions. This isn’t a panic button he has started just 16 games as much as a well I like what you’ve shown but I need better for it to work long term.

I agree.  Look at Tampa with Winston and Tenn with Mariota. They’re both in their 5th year.  They both had good games today in wins but history has shown they’ll likely have stinkers in upcoming games.  Give the kid a break.

He certainly failed today but as bad as he was, an Allen led offence outscored the Patriots juggernaut offence 10-9. He threw and ran for more yards than the greatest QB to play the game. It's just a shame about the blocked punt and that the Patriots defence took up residence in his head.

The silver lining is that the Buffalos defence is arguably the best in the league and can help them go toe to toe against the best teams in the league. hopefully Allen learns how to throw it away before it's too late.

edit: equalled them taking out the extra point.

Edited by downunderbill

I agree with the OP that Josh basically cost us this game (although the D kept us in it and he may have had a chance to redeem himself had he stayed conscious.)

Also agree that hopefully he can learn from it and realize that the most important thing is to take what the D is giving with short and mid depth passes.

Finally, I hope the WRs (and Zay Jones especially) get flogged today for not better contesting those INTs.