Depending on the outcome of tomorrows game...AJ Green

Hebert19

On 10/6/2019 at 10:07 AM, NewEra said:

Greens contract expires after the season.  

Do you guys think teams would really give up a 1st rd pick for an expiring 31 year old often injured Wr?

i really want Aj green. He’s the prefect compliment to brown and Beasley imo.  If I’m Beane, I wouldn’t trade a 1st for him.  

Couldn't of said it better myself.?

9 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Because this team is ready to win. You have a known commodity vs a guess. Zay Jones should be enough proof that you don't draft a person based on collegiate output

.....we disagree but respecting differing opinion s is the ONLY way this place works.....and I am "all in"...:thumbsup:...I just do not see McBeane surrendering pick(s) for Green now with such a lucrative 2020 WR Class forecasted to be going forward....

13 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

That's where I am kind of at a bit if a lose. Because, Beane has done a terrific job if fixing the cap, building what looks to be a long term contender, all while stocking up on picks.

However, does our current record maybe change his perception? 

Also, the 2020 class is absolutely stacked at WR. Just absolutely loaded. However, what makes the draft so much fun (for me at least) is the parody of it. No amount of scouting has guaranteed a player will or will not succeed. 

I fore one would roll the dice on Green. That being said, I have zero issue with wanting to hold onto draft capital and look to draft a WR.

...I'd venture to say our current record supports his modis operendi".......he his (IMO) a long term builder through the draft.....and with the forecasted cap $$ he has available in 2020, he will be highly selective.....not sure if AJ fits his model.......

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I'd venture to say our current record supports his modis operendi".......he his (IMO) a long term builder through the draft.....and with the forecasted cap $$ he has available in 2020, he will be highly selective.....not sure if AJ fits his model.......

I agree 100%, I was just trying to think of a scenario that might maybe change his line of thinking.

Only because what could have looked at as a slowly and steady, might now look like the foot is on the gas and we might have a real shot at making some noise.

I do agree I think this does fit more into Beanes model. Staying the course and winning while stocking on draft capital.

Just having fun with different scenarios.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....we disagree but respecting differing opinion s is the ONLY way this place works.....and I am "all in"...:thumbsup:...I just do not see McBeane surrendering pick(s) for Green now with such a lucrative 2020 WR Class forecasted to be going forward....

Drafting a high round WR is very hit and miss in my humble opinion. Then they have to develop which takes time. 

In all likelihood If A J Green hits the trading block the Pats end up with him...  

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/4/2019 at 1:24 PM, ddaryl said:

Mahommes is an outlier right now. How many QB's come into this league into a favorable situation like Mahommes and lights it up at that level from the get go. 
to use one outlier as the baseline to judge all the rest is foolish

Josh when drafted was work in progress, he has played above expectation, patience must remain with Josh.. that was the deal when we drafted him

I'd just like to point out that in fact, Mahomes did NOT light it up from the "get go".  As a high 1st round pick, he spent a year on the bench.

During that year, he was watching and learning from a very capable vet QB running a very good offense under an established coach with a track record for developing QB talent.  The KC offense under Smith while Mahomes played "left bench" was what, 5th or 6th in the league on points and 5th for yards?  Mahomes then took over the reins.

That's just a night-and-day different situation to what most highly drafted rookie QB come into.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/29/2019 at 4:56 PM, Hebert19 said:

Will AJ Green be available?  And if so...do we make a move?  I honestly think it will happen before deadline.  He's what could out this team over the hump. 

I love AJ Green as a player.  I think he was the making of Andy Dalton as an NFL QB.  But the #1 trait of an NFL football player, Availability, has been limited for him the last several seasons.  He missed 7 games last season.  He tore ligaments and it was just announced he'll miss this weeks game, making it 6 so far with a time table for return that is "murky"

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the availability track record for which Beane is going to pony up $12M plus a resource in trade, for a 10 game rental.

Beane will take a risk on an injured player - Kroft for example - but as FA signing for $3M this year with a hefty chunk of change in roster bonuses.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I would def do it for a 3rd

A 3rd for a few games with an older guy in the last year of his deal who has demonstrated he misses a lot of games with injury? 

Sorry, I may be wrong but I pray we are smarter than that. We draft too well to waste that pick. 

Personally I don't think AJ is as injured as is let on. He's not gonna play for a hapless Bengals team in a contract year unless 100%. He's a top 5 receiver when right. And not a diva at all. Would fit perfectly.  I'd absolutely trade a 3rd and the 5th and 6th we acquired for Bodine and Jones if the opportunity were there. 

Edited by Floydboy12
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

So cap space is the excuse now even though they have loads of it available? 

I get it. It's a risk, but giving up even as high as a 3rd round pick for a guy who when healthy, is among the leagues better recievers isn't going to jeopardize the future.... Bills have no one close to him on the roster. 

So they are ok taking a risk with guys like Kroft and Morse with availability risks but not Green? Got it. 

Sounds like fans scared of the Bills making a big trade to potentially put them over the top. Need to hold onto that 3rd rounder. ?

You are such a good disciple.  He will be proud.

I remember, just a few years ago, going to Cincinnati to see the Bills play the Bengals.  A couple plays in, AJ Green was hurt and out of the game.  We (the Bills) won.  This guy is damaged goods and not worth a 3rd round pick.  A WR who might play 5 games is not putting any team over the top.  For Christ's sakes .. he's been on the Bengals for 50 years and never put THEM over the top.

Common man.

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What WR have they drafted that is good? 

Congrats on remaining consistent!  ?

These guys are drafting like witches, and next year is supposed to be a strong WR draft. I like our odds. Never a guarantee, but I like the odds. You can argue they draft better on D, but let’s wait and see. That’s fair, right? 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I love AJ Green as a player.  I think he was the making of Andy Dalton as an NFL QB.  But the #1 trait of an NFL football player, Availability, has been limited for him the last several seasons.  He missed 7 games last season.  He tore ligaments and it was just announced he'll miss this weeks game, making it 6 so far with a time table for return that is "murky"

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the availability track record for which Beane is going to pony up $12M plus a resource in trade, for a 10 game rental.

Beane will take a risk on an injured player - Kroft for example - but as FA signing for $3M this year with a hefty chunk of change in roster bonuses.

I would guess it would be an 8 game rental........which would cost the Bills just under $6M in salary(his base for the entire year is $11.9M)...........which is basically what they saved cutting LeSean McCoy.

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I would guess it would be an 8 game rental........which would cost the Bills just under $6M in salary(his base for the entire year is $11.9M)...........which is basically what they saved cutting LeSean McCoy.

Fair point.  But then there would be the resources given up in addition....draft picks or players.

It would go against everything Beane says he wants to do to give up significant resources for an 8 game rental (leaving aside the Q of Greene learning the playbook and being in football shape and ready to play at a high level halfway through the season).

Now no one is forcing him to be consistent - but he does seem to roll that way.

27 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

So cap space is the excuse now even though they have loads of it available? 

I get it. It's a risk, but giving up even as high as a 3rd round pick for a guy who when healthy, is among the leagues better recievers isn't going to jeopardize the future.... Bills have no one close to him on the roster. 

So they are ok taking a risk with guys like Kroft and Morse with availability risks but not Green? Got it. 

Sounds like fans scared of the Bills making a big trade to potentially put them over the top. Need to hold onto that 3rd rounder. ?

WTF, man, where do you get this at all from what I wrote, and what's with the smiley/laughy emoji at the end of kind of a taunting post?

The point isn't cap space, it's the value of the player for what is given up.  I can see Beane giving a 3rd rounder for a player who is signed for at least one additional year.  But for that much money, for a player who hasn't played a down this season, and who has the initiative to walk after this season, I can't see Beane going for it.

That's my assessment of Beane's MO, not some scared fan syndrome, and how you got from a post about the former to the latter is quite the mystery. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1