Depending on the outcome of tomorrows game...AJ Green

Hebert19

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why would the Bengals want to trade him exactly? Are they thinking of tanking?

Thinking of tanking? I mean, they’re 0-4. The only thing that looks useful on their team right now is their skill players (Ross, Boyd & Mixon in particular). Trading for Green gives us a guy who can be that guy to go and get those 50/50 balls that josh tosses into an area. He’s the type of QB who needs that. If we don’t get him, I’d love to see them go after Higgins in this year’s draft. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Thinking of tanking? I mean, they’re 0-4. The only thing that looks useful on their team right now is their skill players (Ross, Boyd & Mixon in particular). Trading for Green gives us a guy who can be that guy to go and get those 50/50 balls that josh tosses into an area. He’s the type of QB who needs that. If we don’t get him, I’d love to see them go after Higgins in this year’s draft. 

Sounds great for us. Doesn't sound great for them.

24 minutes ago, MJS said:

Sounds great for us. Doesn't sound great for them.

I get that. At the same time, the ball can only go so many places. He’ll be expensive and he’ll be unhappy with other people getting the ball more. They’re not going anywhere and he’s a UFA at the end of the season. They should deal him for picks to help them in other areas of need (which would basically be... QB, OT, OG, C, DE, DT, LB, CB, S). 

So it actually doesn’t sound too bad for them. 

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What if I were to tell you he was a free agent after this(lost Bengals) season??

I'd say the Bengals should try to sign him because he's a good player.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I'd say the Bengals should try to sign him because he's a good player.

Fair enough.    Two WR's combining for $25M of payroll seems unlikely though.   Especially with the pass game in good shape without him and he going into age 32 season.  Tyler Boyd is already making $11M per on his new deal and my guess is AJ isn't inclined to give any hometown discounts after the Bengals let him get hurt in his walk year practicing on that sh*t field.   A divorce seems likely and in the best interest of both parties.   

If Green or Digg's or anyone else were to become available as a FA, great sign him, but not in favor of giving up any resources  as the return is likely not worth it. 

Of all the positions on the field WR is usually one of the toughest for a new guy to come in as regardless of how talented he is, he also needs to be on the same page as QB and that takes time to develop.  Allen is still raw, one of his problems may be he thinks to much instead of reacting as still doesn't have enough experience to just simply react.  The last thing I want is Allen back there thinking "Lets see where does the new guy want he ball again" At this point guys he's most familiar with will help him the best.  Typically you bring a new WR in, he spends extra practice time with the QB, again at this point any extra time Allen might have can be better spent elsewhere I'd think.

I recall back around 1990, the Bills brought in James Loften think it was around this same point in the season, took some time for him to begin to look good, certainly by season end he was looking real good, but that was also with a QB who's been here for around 3 to 4 years too.

Bring the new guys in off season when Allen has time to work with him, but not now when it just may add to his confusion.  And not worth spending resources for little return.

I'd extend this thought to all the Duke Williams fans out there too.  He likely also hasn't had much time working with Allen either add in that he himself is still very raw too.  At this point for the Bills the best strategy might be WRT, WR dance with the girl who brought you even if that girl is named Zay!  The Bills aren't winning the SB this year either way.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Why would the Bengals want to trade him exactly? Are they thinking of tanking?

He's a free agent next year.   31.   And they need like 7 different positions in the draft.  They need draft picks.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

If Green or Digg's or anyone else were to become available as a FA, great sign him, but not in favor of giving up any resources  as the return is likely not worth it. 

Of all the positions on the field WR is usually one of the toughest for a new guy to come in as regardless of how talented he is, he also needs to be on the same page as QB and that takes time to develop.  Allen is still raw, one of his problems may be he thinks to much instead of reacting as still doesn't have enough experience to just simply react.  The last thing I want is Allen back there thinking "Lets see where does the new guy want he ball again" At this point guys he's most familiar with will help him the best.  Typically you bring a new WR in, he spends extra practice time with the QB, again at this point any extra time Allen might have can be better spent elsewhere I'd think.

I recall back around 1990, the Bills brought in James Loften think it was around this same point in the season, took some time for him to begin to look good, certainly by season end he was looking real good, but that was also with a QB who's been here for around 3 to 4 years too.

Bring the new guys in off season when Allen has time to work with him, but not now when it just may add to his confusion.  And not worth spending resources for little return.

I'd extend this thought to all the Duke Williams fans out there too.  He likely also hasn't had much time working with Allen either add in that he himself is still very raw too.  At this point for the Bills the best strategy might be WRT, WR dance with the girl who brought you even if that girl is named Zay!  The Bills aren't winning the SB this year either way.

So while I agree the Bills won't win the superbowl this year...why wouldnt you try to.  The delta between us and the best teams in the league is not that big this year.  Add AJ green and maybe someone on oline and why couldn't we compete.  Any given sunday.  

This D is superbowl level. 

On 9/29/2019 at 7:07 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I agree, if Bengals keep losing they might want to give up some assets.

Actually wouldn't mind going after Carolina for McCaffrey

Yeldon is just not dependable enough.

There is NO chance Carolina would trade McCaffrey.  Now if we had John Skelton on roster to trade them to back up their QB while Cam recovers maybe....

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

And unbelievably he's only 69 yards shy of Zay Jones for the season. 

He has a better qb. I know that doesn't make sense, since he hasn't played a snap, but there's like 40 other threads where you can trash Zay. Isn't it getting old yet?

Edited by Dopey

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

He's a free agent next year.   31.   And they need like 7 different positions in the draft.  They need draft picks.

So while I agree the Bills won't win the superbowl this year...why wouldnt you try to.  The delta between us and the best teams in the league is not that big this year.  Add AJ green and maybe someone on oline and why couldn't we compete.  Any given sunday.  

This D is superbowl level. 

Well as someone pointed out Green is hurt alot so are you really even getting an asset that will help. And as I said I question if it actually might hurt Allen's development more than help him at this point in the season.  I'd prefer they keep the draft pick to acquire more assets for next year.

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'm not on the Zay must get gone at any cost bandwagon, but I disagree with you in terms of the WRs you mention.  If Beane could get Diggs or Green at a reasonable cost he should do it.  Those guys are vets.  They can be useful now as is.  Green would have to come real cheap though with his injury issues the past couple years.

I don't know how much loyalty the Bengals feel to Green as far as only trading him to a team with his approval.  If not we have a chance.  If so the Cowboys, Patriots, and Saints are the most obvious trade destinations given all three have a legitimate Super Bowl chance and could use an elite #1/1b WR to put them over the top.  

assuming he is examined and they feel that he's gonna get healthy, i'd jump all over a 4th for Green.

Our biggest needs right now for this season:

punter

OT (RT really)

WR

we have some extra tackles on the team, and maybe they get better/our scheme accommodates them 

punter i just have no idea, does anyone ever trade for one?

WR would be the biggest value add if we get someone with skills.  AJ green is sick, but if there is someone better i'd take him instead.

at worst we get another KB situation and blow a 3rd and some money.  worth the chance of getting a giant fast sure handed guy who turns JA back foot floater picks into deep catches.

34 minutes ago, mattynh said:

A WR is not a magic pill for a QB who makes bad decisions.

Haven't you heard, we need a wr to be a db out there on those bad throws. Or at least draw an offensive pass interference flag to avoid a pick.

Edited by Dopey

6 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Haven't you heard, we need a wr to be a db out there on those bad throws. Or at least draw an offensive pass interference flag to avoid a pick.

There is a weird fascination with WR's being the end all.  I mean AJ Green is a great talent but he is always injured and on the last year of his deal.   We are trying to build for the future, this offense can be successful with the players they have.  They are like 8th or 9th in yards....just need to clean up the mistakes and they can be pretty good.  This team is building for the long term, not just this year.   We have the offseason and draft to potentially add talent at WR.  At this point I wish they would sign Duke just so I can stop hearing about it.  But then when he gets few looks it will be about that.

• Like (+1) 1