A Few Thoughts About the *Pats game, in no particular order

Virgil

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The thing is, the running stuff is what makes him good, but it was also always the thing that was going to get him killed. He plays recklessly when running, and it was just a matter of time before a hit like today happened. It won’t be the last.

Yeah, you could say that. But it was an illegal hit to the head that knocks him out. That could happen to any QB anywhere on the field. I really don't think his health is hurt any more from his running than it would be if he never ran. Our pass blocking is suspect. Last year it was abysmal. QBs seem to get hurt when their legs are planted weird. He's bigger than half the defenders he's running against. He's country strong and athletic. He was hurt not because he ran but because the defender went for his head. That could have happened in the pocket, too, if he decided not to run. Plus it's his value ad. 

I worry more about ball security than him getting hurt. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah, you could say that. But it was an illegal hit to the head that knocks him out. That could happen to any QB anywhere on the field. I really don't think his health is hurt any more from his running than it would be if he never ran. Our pass blocking is suspect. Last year it was abysmal. QBs seem to get hurt when their legs are planted weird. He's bigger than half the defenders he's running against. He's country strong and athletic. He was hurt not because he ran but because the defender went for his head. That could have happened in the pocket, too, if he decided not to run. Plus it's his value ad. 

I worry more about ball security than him getting hurt. 

It was illegal, but i really don’t think it was deliberate, and it’s the sort of hit rbs get all of the time. Basically, it was a garden variety hit that the chris ivorys of the world get all of the time. He plays a certain way at present that isn’t sustainable, but he’s been lucky up until today so fans don’t really think about it.

52 minutes ago, Virgil said:

You can’t slide while you are being wrapped up by another defender.  

So my point being is he should have slid sooner and live to fight another day. Josh is a big dude and one guy doesn’t bring him down unless he is a really big guy. When I was coming up they called it gang tackling. On the very next play there are three helmets meeting Gore’s. Also if you look at your verb conjugation; being wrapped up and wrapped up are very different. Wrapped up is the ball carrier is done, stood up, stopped, play over. That play wasn’t over. 

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It was illegal, but i really don’t think it was deliberate, and it’s the sort of hit rbs get all of the time. Basically, it was a garden variety hit that the chris ivorys of the world get all of the time. He plays a certain way at present that isn’t sustainable, but he’s been lucky up until today so fans don’t really think about it.

Oh it was absolutely deliberate if you see the front angle. 100% scummy hit from a scummy player on the scummiest team that ever scummed. That’s about it. 

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

On replay I definitely think it was deliberate. It's tough if not impossible to know of course. The Patriots do not get the benefit of the doubt. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Oh it was absolutely deliberate if you see the front angle. 100% scummy hit from a scummy player on the scummiest team that ever scummed. That’s about it. 

I actually kinda disagree even though i don’t want too. Regardless, guys like chris ivory get a hit like that every game, and if allen is going to choose to play like that, those are the predictable consequences.

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He’s also a serial fumbler.

The entire offense right now is built around his legs and it’s a recipe for trouble.  Either way it’s just not sustainable.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I actually kinda disagree even though i don’t want too. Regardless, guys like chris ivory get a hit like that every game, and if allen is going to choose to play like that, those are the predictable consequences.

Not really. Ivory and guys like that are much lower to the ground so lots of incidental stuff. This guy led with his helmet at a QB that was more upright. All about intent here. 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Yup. Bills fans don’t seem to want to consider that, though ...

Ones the hitter and the other is the hitee

Just now, Greybeard said:

Shoulder to the head?  You better look again.  It was helmet to helmet.

Yep. Need to see the correct angle then it’s obvious. 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The other angle above in this thread I thought showed he saw where Josh was and lowered his head on purpose. That was a bad angle imo. 

If you are going to play like that, expect those hits. Ask any rb in the league who seeks out contact. 

2 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Shoulder to the head?  You better look again.  It was helmet to helmet.

Those plays are going so fast and Allen plays like an aggressive rb. This is what happens when you play like that.

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not really. Ivory and guys like that are much lower to the ground so lots of incidental stuff. This guy led with his helmet at a QB that was more upright. All about intent here. 

Ivory is not a low-to-the-ground back at all. He’s closer to yeldon than gore in that area. He also sought out contact and liked to deliver blows himself. Somewhat famously, actually.

Edited by dave mcbride

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

If you are going to play like that, expect those hits. Ask any rb in the league who seeks out contact. 

Those plays are going so fast and Allen plays like an aggressive rb. This is what happens when you play like that.

In general I agree with that. On this play imo he was held up, another guy was tackling him, he was not the first hitter. He saw Josh held up and then and only then lowered his head and went helmet to helmet. And they do call that on WR and RB hits at times. 

The reason Allen ran like that was because it was 3rd and 8 and he was hell bent on getting the first down.   He did that earlier in the game also.  Not saying it was smart but he was taking extra risk to make the first.   Also if he made it at the Pats 37 it was close to field goal range.   

If he slid he was way short.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

In general I agree with that. On this play imo he was held up, another guy was tackling him, he was not the first hitter. He saw Josh held up and then and only then lowered his head and went helmet to helmet. And they do call that on WR and RB hits at times. 

Yes, it is the defenseless player rule.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Ones the hitter and the other is the hitee

Yep. Need to see the correct angle then it’s obvious. 

Defender led with the shoulder.  The helmet to helmet was Allens head into the defenders ear hole.  Watched both angles.  Allen was going to get blown up as a runner either way.  Defender was going to light him up.

gameday.jpg

• Like (+1) 1