A Few Thoughts About the *Pats game, in no particular order

Virgil

Talk about an emotional day.  You could see it on the field, on TSW, on social media.  This game felt like a mini-series with plot twists, theme changes, and was just an overall rollercoaster. 

To be clear, there is absolutely no way I can cover everything that happened in this game and I’m just going to cover the big things that stood out to me.  

1 - Allen - Allen played against a great defense today who has shut down opposing teams so far.  With that, Allen had a really bad game.  This is a game of defense, field position, and points were at a premium.  I don’t care what the completion percentage was or total yardage in this game.  I care about not hurting the team and taking care of the football.   Allen turned the ball over 4 times and was wildly inaccurate to me on deep throws, which he also took too often.   He under threw Zay that could’ve been a touchdown.  He also was off on the shorter passes outside of the scoring drive.   

Worst of all, I don’t know what it’s going to take to get him to stop throwing off his back foot into traffic.  Of all teams, not against the Pats man.  Granted, one of them should have been overturned, but he still overall hurt the team more than he helped.  

Again, I don’t care if he had more 3 and outs and they punted.  It’s the short field position that gave them a TD and field goal.  You just can’t make these mistakes and it seems to be getting worse.  Also, add in the sack that knocked us back 5 yards with the ensuing missed FG, and it’s another play that hurts us. 

2 - Gore - Great game by him today, eclipsing the 100 and breaking 15k yards for his career.  He definitely showed up today, showing great field vision and power.  I would have liked to have seen him utilized more. 

3 - Lee Smith - I know you can’t write a guy off based off one game, but 4 penalties in a defensive battle just isn’t okay. Between that and some dropped passes this season, I really hope to see Knox take more of his snaps.  Speaking of Knox, he came up big twice and I look forward to seeing more from him.  

4 - “I know if I am going to have any life anymore it is because, I am still willing to fight, and die for that inch because that is what living is. The six inches in front of your face.”

5 - Overall defense - Another game where the stat box doesn’t tell the whole story.  If I told you we didn’t get a sack on Brady, you might think we got picked apart.  Quite the opposite.  Outside of the deep pass down the sideline to White, where we inexplicably only rushed 3, our defense was amazing.  I mean, absolutely amazing.  These guys never let up and Brady looked pedestrian.  The INT by Hyde was a beautiful play and they made this a game for us. It’s frustrating that we couldn’t reward them with a win, but you have to be inspired by how they played.  

6 - The Hit - I’m sorry, but personal fouls need to trump other penalties.  There’s just no way that hit shouldn’t be counteracted by a holding call.   On the stat sheet, the play never happened and it took out Allen.  In real speed, it’s hard to know true targeting. However, Allen was already wrapped up and he still took the shot.  Just add it to the list of reasons to hate those guys

7 - Daboll - This is hard for me because I’m not an Xs and Os guy.  It seems like the Pats ran the same defense they ran all season and what they did against us last year.  With that, it seems like we were completely unprepared for them today.  It’s not just getting shut down, it’s the way we were shut down.  We looked confused.  Also, where was McKenzie in this game and all the stretch/sweeps we’ve been running?  Then, we score via hurry up and then abandon it on the next drive.   The trick play was nice, and I don’t blame Yeldon there as it wasn’t an easy catch.  Overall, Daboll needs to be better in this game 

8 - Special Teams - Haven’t talked about these guys in a while.  That blocked punt for an INT proved to be the ball game.  That TD was the difference maker in points and probably changes future decisions.  The gunner came in free, which can’t happen.  Hausch’s miss also changed future decisions, even though it should’ve been 5 yards closer.  

Again, in a defensive battle like this, you need consistency, not a loss of 10 points. 

9 -  What If - There are so many things to talk about here.  Should they have taken the points on the short field goals vs going for it?  I say yes, besides the Allen TD. Allen on the field makes one yard seem like a given.  With Barkley, it’s different.  You never know what’s going to happen next based upon a decision, but in a defensive battle, I think you alway take the points.  We left 6 on the board that was the final difference maker, but then Allen did score.  Who knows. 

10 - McD - We lost 16-10 to a great team at home and could have won it on our last drive.  That’s the end result and that’s what you grade off of.  The challenges by McD hurt as we didn’t have any timeouts at the end.  Challenging offensive PI was tough for me and I think he needs to take his chances on more than 50/50 calls.  I get perspective, but neither were clear calls. 

While we didn’t win, you have to love how crap we make Brady look in these games.  I know there’s no morale victories and this sucks.  But these aren’t the same losses as the past decade.  If we have a turnover free offense, we win this game to me. 

Bonus:

-What happened to Ty on the last offensive play?   He left the edge unguarded 

-Let’s see how the league handles the hit on Allen

-How was that not intentional grounding by Brady?

Big day guys.  We beat the spread.  We gave up 3 points in the last 3 quarters. We didn’t blow up like in the past after a terrible first quarter.  Allen may be out next week and his continued poor choices have to make you hesitate.  But still 3-1 in a wide open season. 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 18
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good write-up. 

All the talk of ‘this is just another game’ was just that: talk. It was clearly in Josh’s head and it showed. 

Give him time and he’ll figure it out (their D). He is smart and committed to learning. 

The positive for me today? We held strong with the world champions, even with our turnovers!  Once we get Josh settled down, this will turn into a W in the future and a changing of the guard on the AFCE. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

Good write-up. 

All the talk of ‘this is just another game’ was just that: talk. It was clearly in Josh’s head and it showed. 

Give him time and he’ll figure it out (their D). He is smart and committed to learning. 

The positive for me today? We held strong with the world champions, even with our turnovers!  Once we get Josh settled down, this will turn into a W in the future and a changing of the guard on the AFCE. 

He just has to stop these back foot throws into coverage.  It’s scaring me how he isn’t learning 

• Like (+1) 5

good job Virgil - btw when you get a chance to look back at the game again, at some point, Josh hop-stepped backwards and lofted an INT when he didn't even have to. Pocket was relatively clean and he could have stepped into the throw. OL has to play better though. Especially up the middle.

12 minutes ago, Virgil said:

6 - The Hit - I’m sorry, but personal fouls need to trump other penalties. 

I will comment on the other statements during the course of conversation, but this deserves to be highlighted.  It goes against the spirit of the NFL’s intentions, to not have this blatant attempt to injure, carry a greater penalty. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Pretty spot on write up. 

There was another sack by Allen in the 1st half that knocked us out FG range. Those 6 points were absolutely huge and changed the outcome of the game. 

I truly hope Allen is ok, that was pretty nasty hit to see. He's a tough dude the way he popped up. I initially thought he was going to be carted off the field. I hope he learns from this game and makes huge strides going forward. With this D we could be a serious threat if we can manage to get a few TD's a game.

Can't help but feel that with Josh in the game, with the ball, down six with a couple of minutes left in the game, we march down the field and score a touch down and win.  Echoes of the Jets game where the defense keeps us within striking distance and we pull it out at the end.

Shame he didn't get the chance.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I want so badly to be on the Allen train, but I just don't think he's ever going to be the guy if he can't limit the hero ball.  

I listened to his presser today. He keeps saying the right things, week after week, how he needs to be smarter with the ball, but week after week he is carless with the ball.

That being said, I wanted him on the field in the 4th so he had a chance to "will us to victory", but... if he was smarter with the ball and only threw one or two INTs this is a different game and one we probably win.

Josh Allen was a liability on the field and the coaches need an intervention with him

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

He just has to stop these back foot throws into coverage.  It’s scaring me how he isn’t learning 

No mention of the offensive line's pass protection today?

Yes, Josh Allen had a bad game and made bad decisions, but when the Cheaters are rushing only 3 and still getting pressure that's bad.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the first few years of Josh's career you have to look at him differently than any other QB. He's going to make mistakes. He had a bad game today for sure. He made numerous mistakes. But stats are worthless when evaluating him. He needs to make plays and win games right now, not have no turnovers or QB ratings. I would have loved to see him in the game in the last four minutes. 

• Like (+1) 7

14 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Good write-up. 

Is Josh smart?

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I think the first few years of Josh's career you have to look at him differently than any other QB. He's going to make mistakes. He had a bad game today for sure. He made numerous mistakes. But stats are worthless when evaluating him. He needs to make plays and win games right now, not have no turnovers or QB ratings. I would have loved to see him in the game in the last four minutes. 

It's almost like people are longing for the golden age of tuhrod.

6 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

No mention of the offensive line's pass protection today?

Yes, Josh Allen had a bad game and made bad decisions, but when the Cheaters are rushing only 3 and still getting pressure that's bad.

I think the Pats ran a lot of stunts and confusing rushes.  Most of the times Allen had people in his face, there were O-Lineman looking around confused.   I think they played okay today, considering the rushing attack.  

Okay, not great and not bad.  

Also, they’ve been doing this to all the teams so far.  I’m just going to give credit where credit is due 

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It's almost like people are longing for the golden age of tuhrod.

This should be fun. 

Tyrod might have won this game.  He wouldn’t have gotten us more than a few field goals, but he wouldn’t have turned it over.  

That’s all we needed in this game 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think the Pats ran a lot of stunts and confusing rushes.  Most of the times Allen had people in his face, there were O-Lineman looking around confused.   I think they played okay today, considering the rushing attack.  

Also, they’ve been doing this to all the teams so far.  I’m just going to give credit where credit is due 

This should be fun. 

Tyrod might have won this game.  He wouldn’t have gotten us more than a few field goals, but he wouldn’t have turned it over.  

That’s all we needed in this game 

I NEVER want to go back to that place.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This was a tough game to write about.

Essentially, our young, inexperienced, talented QB had a horrible game and then got hurt against the best team in football. There were a couple of bright and not so bright spots along the way, but the above is what happened.

No need for fans to panic imo.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

This day was one of the few times that I wish that Josh Allen would have just tucked it and ran today.

As soon as the pocket was collapsing, which was quite often, Allen should have taken his chances with running.

• Like (+1) 1