Tremaine Edmunds rocked today

TroutDog

On 9/29/2019 at 5:30 PM, TroutDog said:

First and foremost is Edmunds: he was hammering runs and was solid in pass coverage. 

Not in the first half.   He was slow to react and often picked the wrong hole to fill.

He's had more than a few slow starts.   But his second half improvements have been very encouraging... 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GG said:

It counts to a degree, but for his position you also want to see solo tackles, where he was #20 in the league last year.  What's worse is that the OCs know his weaknesses by now and are directly attacking him and that's why his stats are noticeably down.  Four solo tackles per game is awful, considering how many times opponents have run the ball.

So should other members of the defense not rally to the ball so Edmunds can rack up solo tackles? 

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m still of the belief that he’s not heavy enough to play a traditional MLB role. That’s not his fault. He’s tall and athletic. I’m going to assume that the coaches know that! I’m interested to see what they do with that knowledge. He’s clearly never going to be Dick Butkus.

I don't think Tremaine Edmunds was drafted to be a traditional MLB thumper ala Ray Lewis.  The way I understand the MLB position in McD's defensive philosophy is that he is a good pass defender in the middle primarily (which Edmunds is), and assists the DL with the rush defense (which Edmunds is still learning).  Tremaine still seems to struggle a bit with gap assignment between him and the DL.  Probably not a physical issue, but more following the scheme and communication problem.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

You are saying he does not have enough solo tackles. But, that would require he be on an island to make the tackle. The reality is that he is splitting tackles because our defense rallies to the ball. That is a good thing. 

But that's not the design of McD's defense.  He is failing his role, because you see RBs running past the point where Edmunds (not other tacklers) should be!

24 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Not in the first half.   He was slow to react and often picked the wrong hole to fill.

He's had more than a few slow starts.   But his second half improvements have been very encouraging... 

I posted this almost a month ago...

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GG said:

But that's not the design of McD's defense.  He is failing his role, because you see RBs running past the point where Edmunds (not other tacklers) should be!

You have literally no idea what McD's defense is meant to do. Especially considering it was McD that built this defense, and he who moved up to get the Edmunds to play exactly how he is playing now.  McD was smart about MLB, he knew what direction the league was going in.  And so he drafted Edmunds to evolve with the league. They are not the NFL's top run stuffer (they are top ten, however), but that is because McD knows it is more important to stop the pass. 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, GG said:

Good luck with this line of reasoning.

Yea - I agree with you on yesterday, where I disagree is that it is symptomatic of his season. I think for the most part there has been a big step forward. He has still occasionally had the wrong run fit but not at a higher rate than most other MLBs in the NFL. Last night was his worst game of the season and maybe his worst as a pro. 

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have been as big of an advocate of Edmunds and his improvement year 1 to year 2 as anyone but he was brutal last night. He was constantly in the wrong gap in the run game and he got confused and lost on the Parker touchdown too - wasn't his initial assignment but if he makes the right read he can get over there and make the play. 

I spoke about it last night too but that was as bad as the way the Patriots totally confused him last season. They gave him looks that suggested one thing and then ran another. Interestingly where did the Dolphins OC come from? The Patriots. And this year against New England Edmunds was excellent. So maybe the guy who had the plan to expose him is the guy that left for Miami. The Dolphins went at Wallace and Edmunds so often that I do not believe it could have been coincidence. That was game plan. 

Easily his worst game of the year. You watched him get swallowed and pick the wrong gap over and over in the first half. His other performances this year have been promising.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

You have literally no idea what McD's defense is meant to do. Especially considering it was McD that built this defense, and he who moved up to get the Edmunds to play exactly how he is playing now.  McD was smart about MLB, he knew what direction the league was going in.  And so he drafted Edmunds to evolve with the league. They are not the NFL's top run stuffer (they are top ten, however), but that is because McD knows it is more important to stop the pass. 

Are you serious?  McD runs his variation of the Jim Johnson defense, where the plays are routed to the LBs and they are the teams' leading tacklers.  Look at any variation of that defense in Philly, Carolina and Bills in 2017.

I'm too lazy to search out @BADOLBILZ post on this topic, but Bills' having the secondary lead in tackles is a huge departure for this defensive design, and a huge part is that Edmunds hasn't stepped up.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea - I agree with you on yesterday, where I disagree is that it is symptomatic of his season. I think for the most part there has been a big step forward. He has still occasionally had the wrong run fit but not at a higher rate than most other MLBs in the NFL. Last night was his worst game of the season and maybe his worst as a pro. 

I don't think it's an accident as more OCs watch film and attack his weakness directly.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GG said:

Are you serious?  McD runs his variation of the Jim Johnson defense, where the plays are routed to the LBs and they are the teams' leading tacklers.  Look at any variation of that defense in Philly, Carolina and Bills in 2017.

I'm too lazy to search out @BADOLBILZ post on this topic, but Bills' having the secondary lead in tackles is a huge departure for this defensive design, and a huge part is that Edmunds hasn't stepped up.

Folks love to say Edmund’s is our Kuechly and then ignore any comparison between them. When is the last time a healthy Kuechly didn’t lead Carolina in tackles? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GG said:

I don't think it's an accident as more OCs watch film and attack his weakness directly.

You know what, man. You have been wrong on this take all year, and it isn't a great look that you chime in on a slow week to try to regurgitate this nonsense.  

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Easily his worst game of the year. You watched him get swallowed and pick the wrong gap over and over in the first half. His other performances this year have been promising.

Agreed. Welcome back FC. 

8 minutes ago, GG said:

The other thing BADOL said on Edmunds specifically last year and bears repeating here is progress is not always linear. This has been a season that has been generally trending in the right direction, yesterday was a big arrow down but that doesn't mean next week couldn't be an arrow up day. Let's hope so (and that he has his partner in crime back alongside him in Matt Milano). 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GG said:

McDaniels tried to "attack his weakness directly" and Edmunds responded with his best game as a pro.  Yesterday was a big setback.  He seems to have these games where he's tentative to the hole and when he gets there, he tries to make arm tackles.  It's concerning, but the NE game demonstrated that he hasn't yet hit his ceiling.  He needs more consistency, that's obvious.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. Welcome back FC. 

The other thing BADOL said on Edmunds specifically last year and bears repeating here is progress is not always linear. This has been a season that has been generally trending in the right direction, yesterday was a big arrow down but that doesn't mean next week couldn't be an arrow up day. Let's hope so (and that he has his partner in crime back alongside him in Matt Milano). 

Yeah he was great in that NE game and looked like sh*t yesterday.    I know that there is tape on him and he's going to have to adjust to opponents adjusting........ but to me his bad day was more just a lack of focus and intensity.  The defense in general was flat footed and weren't consistently swarming to the ball.    There was a lack of full effort on many plays and they seemed less than prepared/inspired.   They would dial it up for a play here and there and then lose focus/intensity again.

8 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

McDaniels tried to "attack his weakness directly" and Edmunds responded with his best game as a pro.  Yesterday was a big setback.  He seems to have these games where he's tentative to the hole and when he gets there, he tries to make arm tackles.  It's concerning, but the NE game demonstrated that he hasn't yet hit his ceiling.  He needs more consistency, that's obvious.

He's showing a tendency to not bring his A game every week.   That's gotta' stop if you are playing the middle.    You can disappear for a game on the edge and have it go unnoticed but when you make mistakes in the middle and a bad OL is able to produce a running game that's getting 8 yards a pop on first down you are going to stick out like a sore thumb.

45 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he was great in that NE game and looked like sh*t yesterday.    I know that there is tape on him and he's going to have to adjust to opponents adjusting........ but to me his bad day was more just a lack of focus and intensity.  The defense in general was flat footed and weren't consistently swarming to the ball.    There was a lack of full effort on many plays and they seemed less than prepared/inspired.   They would dial it up for a play here and there and then lose focus/intensity again.

Totally agree with that. Think the team as a whole was flat until Tre's pick. Kinda needed a moment like that. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I was watching Lamar Jackson yesterday run wild on Seattle. Got me thinking that Edmunds might be the spy against Jackson. Edmunds is quick enough if he plays proper contain. 

Yeah the Bills actually match up better than most against Jackson because of Edmunds(and Milano).

• Like (+1) 2