‘Process guys’ hurt the Bills today

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Patrick DiMarco and Lee Smith hurt the Bills today. 

Leaders in sports need to not only have work ethic, and discipline but they must also be capable of production. They don’t need to be the most talented but they can’t make mental mistakes costing their team. 

DiMarco and Smith will lose respect of their teammates if they have mental mistakes like they did today. Smith’s penalties and DiMarco’s miss of the block on the punt impacted the game negatively. 

Everyone has a bad day at the office.  I'm not defending them for today or making excuses for them.  They actually do a pretty good job blocking on their good days.  On the punt the extra rushers showed their hand early and someone should have called a timeout.  Like the coaches.  DiMarco can be blamed for that since it was happening right in front of him.  I'll give you that.  But everyone has a bad day once in awhile.  With everything else they bring to the table, I seriously doubt the team will give up on them. 

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That was not DiMarco's fault at all. 

I blame the coaches for not having Knox out there more than Smith. We needed playmakers badly. 

I noticed that Smith was out there an awful lot too.  Almost seems like they were setting up a pass to him later on.  He can catch a ball once in awhile.  If they make it work it's worth it.  But Rambo should be out there the most.  He can do it all.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

DiMarco didn't miss a block...the Pats left the gunner uncovered forcing DiMarco to try and block two people.

One of three things should have happened there. 

1) The gunner follows him inside and blocks him there

2) Bojo notices there is nothing but 50 yards of green between the gunner and returner throwing an easy pass to him for big yardage

3) McDermott calls a TO to prevent what happened.

Belichick challenges your attention to detail constantly on even the most basic of plays. Everyone on the field and McDermott failed to pay attention on that play and it cost us the game pretty much.

Please don't ever suggest that again ... I still get the sweats and chills when the ball is snapped to him.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Patrick DiMarco and Lee Smith hurt the Bills today. 

Leaders in sports need to not only have work ethic, and discipline but they must also be capable of production. They don’t need to be the most talented but they can’t make mental mistakes costing their team. 

DiMarco and Smith will lose respect of their teammates if they have mental mistakes like they did today. Smith’s penalties and DiMarco’s miss of the block on the punt impacted the game negatively. 

DiMarco did not play bad.  The problem on the blocked punt was not him.  

Smith was terrible.  

None of this has has anything to do with “the process”.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bob in STL said:

DiMarco did not play bad.  The problem on the blocked punt was not him.  

Smith was terrible.  

I hear ya about DiMarco. I know McDermott should of called a time out, I maybe am expecting too much from DiMarco in that situation. 

I think some of Smith’s problems were he  let Van Noy get in his head. Seemed like those two were jaw jacking all day. Regardless, Smith is a Vet and the penalties are inexcusable.

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Certain guys are on this team for what they bring in the locker room more so what they bring on the field. DiMarco and Smith are two of those guys to me. You can disagree. 

Thats fine, but a guy like Lee Smith doesn’t need to ever be getting snaps over Dawson Knox. He certainly doesn’t need to be running go routes end of half.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Guys, you can't have a roster full of 53 Pro Bowl players. Sure they made mistakes... but find me a guy on the street that plays better... the guys on the street are there for a reason.

There is only so much talent to go around. 

Both Dawson Knox and Tommy Sweeney are more talented tight ends than Lee Smith.  Smith has a reputation as a superlative blocker, but if he committed penalties ever week the way he did today the cost exceeds his value as a blocker/locker room leader, particularly given that Knox and Sweeney as rookies are already good blockers and getting better all the time.

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

How many times does Lee Smith get to hurt this team?

I'm surprised he doesn't have his own thread dedicated to this yet. Lots of hot takes going on right now, but Lee Smith needs to go. Activate Ryan Bates and bring him in as that extra blocker. Cut lee smith for dodson.