horrible game decisions my Coach McD

slipkid

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

For all those who think we should just "take the points" there in the fourth quarter, down by 6, I assume you were also pissed when McDermott went for it on fourth and goal from the 1, when Josh punched it in, right?  If not, why not?

Also, people complaining about McDermott going for it there apparently are forgetting that the Pats took over on the two yard line (instead of the 25 or better after a kickoff) and gave the Bills possession at midfield about a minute and half later.  Yet another reason to go for the TD in that situation.  The correct decision doesn't always result in winning the game, but it still maximizes your chances.   

It wasn't from the one it was from the four. It was an easy choice to kick. Plus Barkley is much, much more likely to get you a FG than a TD late.  

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

For all those who think we should just "take the points" there in the fourth quarter, down by 6, I assume you were also pissed when McDermott went for it on fourth and goal from the 1, when Josh punched it in, right?  If not, why not?

Also, people complaining about McDermott going for it there apparently are forgetting that the Pats took over on the two yard line (instead of the 25 or better after a kickoff) and gave the Bills possession at midfield about a minute and half later.  Yet another reason to go for the TD in that situation.  The correct decision doesn't always result in winning the game, but it still maximizes your chances.   

at that time it was 13-3 and it made much more sense vs later in game when your def has still played lights out ......you have less than ten minutes three much easier to get at end then the td

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It wasn't from the one it was from the four. It was an easy choice to kick. Plus Barkley is much, much more likely to get you a FG than a TD late.  

I'm pretty sure it was from the 2, not the 4-yard line, but I do acknowledge that Allen gives you more options down there.

14 hours ago, Perry Turtle said:

Need to see the all-22, but my guess is that those passes were there and Allen didn't take them.  Hard to believe that the goal was to get Zay Jones deep for any reason other than clearing out a zone for an underneath pass.

Allen held onto the ball way too long today.  Hard to believe that was the gameplan.  He was playing too much hero ball.

Maybe there were some check-downs available that Allen didn't take.  That's very possible.

But I'm starting to notice trends in Brian Daboll's playcalling.  And he doesn't seem to call many timing routes (curls, quick outs, slants).  He is also trending way too pass-heavy, especially with a young/mistake-prone QB and an elite defense keeping scoring tight.

There is nothing that drives me crazier than coordinators who fail to adjust their plan of attack, and keep doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.  You could see the Patriots offense throwing everything at the Bills offense.  Deep shots, screens, slants, pick plays, draws, play action, etc.  But nothing was consistently working for them.  The Bills kept stubbornly running the same plays all day long.

12 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

at that time it was 13-3 and it made much more sense vs later in game when your def has still played lights out ......you have less than ten minutes three much easier to get at end then the td

I’m not sure why it makes more sense down 13-3.  It makes equally good sense in both situations.

13 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Barkely in his Career has NEVER led his team on a 4th QTR game winning drive. The right call was try to get the lead there because Barkley’s History during his career says he isn’t going to win it for you Late. 

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott is not good when it comes to using challenges intelligently.  We also waste too many TOs.  Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with his game management.  

Going for it on 4th and goal in the fourth quarter was a good decision IMO.  By taking the FG, you're forcing your team to come up with another scoring drive against a defense that has had the better of you all day, with a cold backup QB.  Going for it is the high-variance choice that gives you the chance to take the lead on one play.  Variance is our friend in this sort of situation.  The FG might be more defensible if we were playing a much worse opponent.

The challenges yesterday were dubious at best.  He has work to do there, starting with whoever in the booth is advising him to make the challenges in the first place.  as for the decision to go for it vs. kick the FG, absolutely the right call.  You're playing the best D in the league; you have to take the shot to go ahead right there.  No guarantees you're getting back there again and to do what?  Kick another FG just to tie? 

Looking back they should of went for the field not go for it 4th down. Right call. But they were stopping Brady. As well would of helped later in the game. If had tie game I had confidence in D to stop Brady. But didn't question but looking forward going for 3 to get closer is the better call at the moment how the D was playing.

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I have more an issue with his challenges and usage of TO's.

Guy is ***** idiotic when it comes to challenging a play where I literally say before every challenge "please don't waste a challenge on this". It's comical at this point.

?

He's .500 35 games into his coaching career here. Good defensive coach. Guy cant seem to figure out the other two phases of the game. I'm not impressed.

They have figured out the offense. He has a good OC. They picked a QB who may or may not be good enough. He's still a rookie but that's their only issue on offense. That and they needed another back they trusted to run the ball yesterday. I don't believe Yeldon had a carry at all yesterday. It's all looking good from my point of view.

Kind of feels like you're overreacting OP.  Knee-jerk reaction to a tough loss.  McD has a horrible record for challenges, I'll give you that.  I think someone upstairs is more to blame though.  That one today was one of his better call IMO.  None of his calls cost them the game.  The offense lost them the game.  Plain and simple.  McD and his coaching is the reason they were even in it to begin with.  He and Frasier had an awesome game plan for the D against Brady and it worked very well.   You can't blame the guy for not having a challenge because he lost one earlier.  He can't see the future.  If he feels a challenge is warranted, he probably thinks he'll win and still have that challenge for later.  The big one I don't like though is that 4th and goal with Barkley in there.  Take the FG and you're down 3 with a lot of momentum.  He was feeling frisky though.  If they convert that and score, however, we're having a completely different conversation today.  I do like that he has some brass ones and willing to take a shot like that.  You're never going to have things go your way and get a big one like that if you never try in the first place.  It was a gamble.  He lost that time.  Might work the next 5 times.  You just don't know.

If you're looking for someone to blame, you have to look across the field. BB is to blame.  He always is.  That's why he's the best.

31 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

McDermott is still the best thing to happen to the Bills in nearly 30 years. And by a mile.

Some fans just have to have perfection, and everyone's idea of that is different.  How soon we forget just how horrible things have been the last 3 decades.  McDermott was a great hire after a long string of not-so-great hires.  Barring total disaster, he'll be around for quite some time. 

18 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

McDermott is not good when it comes to using challenges intelligently.  We also waste too many TOs.  Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with his game management.  

Going for it on 4th and goal in the fourth quarter was a good decision IMO.  By taking the FG, you're forcing your team to come up with another scoring drive against a defense that has had the better of you all day, with a cold backup QB.  Going for it is the high-variance choice that gives you the chance to take the lead on one play.  Variance is our friend in this sort of situation.  The FG might be more defensible if we were playing a much worse opponent.

They get that TD and the win is basically there with the way the D was playing.  I'd have preferred the FG but it so easily could have gone in our favor.  I appreciate the gamble.  He has balls.  He ain't no Doug Marrone.  Marrone would have punted there.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He'll be around so long as Josh Allen develops into a good QB.... because if he doesn't they won't be consistently winning football games.

Despite yesterday's game that they could've easily won they are 3-1, but really the team will go as Allen goes, and that's not just this year. 

No, you have to give him a second QB. If he builds a SB roster and culture you can't fire him for missing on JA. If JA is a miss you move on to another player in 2021/22.

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He'll be around so long as Josh Allen develops into a good QB.... because if he doesn't they won't be consistently winning football games.

Despite yesterday's game that they could've easily won they are 3-1, but really the team will go as Allen goes, and that's not just this year. 

Very true but I'm not so sure the Pegulas are tying McD to Allen's hip so completey like that.  I think they understand how hard it is to find a really good  HC like he is.  They're taking a huge gamble on Allen but I don't think they'll dump McD if that gamble doesn't shake out.  That wouldn't be their style.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Look, we are far away from this dicussison, but another QB? Another OC? Another offense? 

This regime is already on their 2nd OC in three years among other offensive coaching positions and numerous examples demonstrated of BAD evaluation of the offense as a whole.

How many resets do they get? 

The OC is fine. His calls are fine. Wouldn't shock me if he gets interviews for HC job after the season. JA wants to show off his arm. He missed a lot of throws. He could have hit a wide open check down to the back on that second INT where the LBer fell down.

22 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Challenges were terrible.  Neither had a chance.  

I was fine with going for it.  I would have had no problem kicking the FG either.  

Daboll was not good today.  Where were the screens against the pass rush? Why is Knox not more involved?  The run play on third and goal was awful.  That needs to be run to the left or play action.  I did like the WR pass by Brown.  Nice design.

But McD's failure is not getting this team to calm down before a Patriots game.  It started right after the Bengals game.  He says it's just week 4 but then makes it seem like the Patriots are not beatable all week long.  

Exactly. After running a couple of times, it was a great opportunity for play action and a toss to a TE.

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Barkely in his Career has NEVER led his team on a 4th QTR game winning drive. The right call was try to get the lead there because Barkley’s History during his career says he isn’t going to win it for you Late. 

My argument is that is exactly why you kick it. He's capable of a FG but not likely a TD.

8 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Maybe there were some check-downs available that Allen didn't take.  That's very possible.

But I'm starting to notice trends in Brian Daboll's playcalling.  And he doesn't seem to call many timing routes (curls, quick outs, slants).  He is also trending way too pass-heavy, especially with a young/mistake-prone QB and an elite defense keeping scoring tight.

There is nothing that drives me crazier than coordinators who fail to adjust their plan of attack, and keep doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.  You could see the Patriots offense throwing everything at the Bills offense.  Deep shots, screens, slants, pick plays, draws, play action, etc.  But nothing was consistently working for them.  The Bills kept stubbornly running the same plays all day long.

...damn good assessment right there......you're facing THE "master of adjustments" period......and Daboll is a BB disciple......you have a QB starting his 15th game and nine new starters on offense and you hold pat against Belichick?......seriously?.....I missed the memo.....

20 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

My argument is that is exactly why you kick it. He's capable of a FG but not likely a TD.

mans yet his history shows he has never generated a game winning drive. So what does Kicking that FG do there for you?  Put the Ball in a hand of a QB that in his history never won a game from that position. It was and always will remain the right call. And hope he makes the same call everytime. 

only thing Wrong with the call was the Playcall from Daboll if you want to get picky. 

can we just stop with the Bring in all the Big guys and put them within a yard from the LOS and try to run into that mess. 

Edited by MAJBobby