horrible game decisions my Coach McD

slipkid

When you’re a 7 point dog at home with nothing to lose and your back up qb you absolutely go for the win against the best team in the afc. I was really glad McDermott we t for it and I give him props for that even if there mistakes along the way. If Steven makes the fg before the half that changes things but you gotta play to win the game when you’re playing the pats. 

1 hour ago, Boca BIlls said:

This is the OP basically didn't matter what was done he would have posted a thread on the opposite.

C’mon now. I dont’t post much, but I appreciate how well you think you know me. ?

Taking the field goal at that time was the right decision. You don’t make Matt Barkley have to zing something through a tight window. 

And no. I wouldn’t complain about McD’s decision-making if the Bills lost by three—I would have spent my time on Josh.?

20 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It wasn't the whistle. 

And again, the refs tell you if you legally cannot challenge something. 

And also your point is why it was so stupid. 

He was challenging the the forward progress had stopped and that the play should have been whistled dead.

1 minute ago, Saint Doug said:

I agree with the 4th and goal call. If we get a TD, we’d win the game. If we go for the FG and got it, we’d still be down 2 scores to win. 

the first one fourth and one yes the second one with barkley in and 4th and 3 ten min left no i kick the fg

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was challenging the the forward progress had stopped and that the play should have been whistled dead.

They are not going to talk to him for a minute and then let him challenge something that is illegal to challenge. That doesn't happen. It was stupid because they are not going to overturn it on a play like that because it's subjective and never going to have irrefutable proof. Really dumb. But they don't let you challenge things you cannot challenge. 

Just now, Dr.Sack said:

Take the delay of game on the punt. That was horrible. Always need to conserve TOs. Pats knew they needed an easy TD & brought the house on the blocked punt. 

Not to mention that Bellichick knows he is a slow left footed punter and loaded up. He probably would have got it off with a good snap but his slowness and slightly low snap combined with BB knowing him caused it. 

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They are not going to talk to him for a minute and then let him challenge something that is illegal to challenge. That doesn't happen. It was stupid because they are not going to overturn it on a play like that because it's subjective and never going to have irrefutable proof. Really dumb. But they don't let you challenge things you cannot challenge. 

Forward progress is a ref judgement call and it can't be challenged.

A few years ago Tomlin tried to challenge a forward progress call though he knew he he was wasting a TO.  They let him challenge it.  He later said he knew it was a waste, but he "wanted them to have the discussion".

1 hour ago, slipkid said:

Bad. And may have cost the Bills a W.

The offensive pass interference was a penalty but never should have been challenged, especially in light of Thursday night. And take the the field goal, for crying out loud! Who possibly trusts the back-up on fourth and goal from the four on his fifth play off the season.

And I thought Josh was the one who was hit in the head.

I admired the gutsy call to try for the go-ahead TD, but a nearly certain 3 points certainly would have been the smarter decision.  Coaching decisions today were about as desperate as Allen's decisions.  We need to stop being desperate when playing the Patriots - just be smart - they can be beaten - especially when our defense plays this well.

1 hour ago, billsmob88 said:

Not a chance this is MCd fault.

this game is on JOSH ALLEN

TERRIBLE QB play today.

NEED TO DRAFT A REAL OT

AND A REAL WR

STOP MAKING THIS CITY WAIT YEAR AFTER YEAR. Enough is enough 

You were born in 88 right? Not a good year! ?

Clap clap clap! 

I fault him for the first challenge which had zero chance of being successful. He either didn't see it properly or got bad advice. The 2nd one I thought was a good challenge and from McD's angle it looked like the Bills player got rubbed out on the pick. The problem was that the Bill player stupidly tried to avoid contact on the pick and this made it a legit innocent looking obstruction. I think the 4th and goal was a good call to go for it but just not that play and not with a cold and rusty Barkley. If he had that much faith in Barkley then do the Philly special and have Barkley catch the pass in the end zone a la Foles. The Pats are just too well coached for that vanilla play they used. Other than that I like McD getting in the ref's faces after some really bad non calls and picked up flags. 

2 hours ago, slipkid said:

Bad. And may have cost the Bills a W.

The offensive pass interference was a penalty but never should have been challenged, especially in light of Thursday night. And take the the field goal, for crying out loud! Who possibly trusts the back-up on fourth and goal from the four on his fifth play off the season.

And I thought Josh was the one who was hit in the head.

Easy to say it now but he should have taken the 3 points with Barkley in the game and still loads of time remaining.  Other than that some guys made mistakes or Offensive line guys got beat and gave up too many sacks.  I thought our defense was lights out and our running game with Gore was excellent,  the passing game killed us with sacks and interceptions and that is not on the HC.

• Like (+1) 1

For all those who think we should just "take the points" there in the fourth quarter, down by 6, I assume you were also pissed when McDermott went for it on fourth and goal from the 1, when Josh punched it in, right?  If not, why not?

Also, people complaining about McDermott going for it there apparently are forgetting that the Pats took over on the two yard line (instead of the 25 or better after a kickoff) and gave the Bills possession at midfield about a minute and half later.  Yet another reason to go for the TD in that situation.  The correct decision doesn't always result in winning the game, but it still maximizes your chances.   

2 hours ago, fishgrappler said:

If he kicked the field goal and we still lost you’d be posting that he’s too conservative....many others would be backseat drivers just like you.

And “just like you.” The difference is that I know poor decision-making when I see it. That was the wrong decision. You know it but decided to call me out rather than admit it.

McBeane has a good thing going, but Sean has to get out of his own way and make better decisions during the game. You know that. Don’t spend your time on me.