transplantbillsfan

Josh Allen currently 62.6% Comp % & 9th in NFL in PFF Adjusted Comp %

The thing about 3rd quarters is that it doesn’t seem like we’re doing anything drastically different from quarters 1, 2 and 4. 

It just seems like we’re stuck in the mud.  

A run gets stuffed.  False start.  Short pass.  Incomplete pass.  Put those plays in any order you want.  

Edited by SCBills

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think the "protect the lead" generally conservative type play calling is a philosophy that scores fewer points, don't you?

I don't get the difficulty in understanding this philosophy.  It's there and it's valid.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The back and forth discussion of milking the clock?

I don't know how many pages back that discussion goes, but that's what I saw in the 7 or 8 back and forth posts between you guys.

Whatever I might have been wrong on as far as the discussion between the two of you goes, I do believe in general that a Sean McDermott coached football team will never be a team that averages 30+ points because of his approach to the game, which I do believe involves protecting a lead once you have it, which involves milking the clock more with more running and short, safe passes, which results in fewer explosive plays and less points.

I'm not a fan of that approach. But I do think that's been McDermott's approach as a Head Coach.

Spot on my man!  McDermott isn't the only coach with this philosophy and it's intentional.

Edited by Pokebball

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

It was 1-2 pages back and this is what started it.

Maybe I didn’t understand him but he originally made it sound like many teams set out to score fewer points based on coaching philosophy. That’s what I disagree with. I don’t think any HC sets out to be one of the worst scoring teams in the league and hope to hang onto whatever small lead they get. Obviously there is a time and place where you’d want to burn clock and protect a lead.

Okay, well that's incorrect on the whole, then.

The Bills are one of the top 5 teams in the NFL in terms of pass % in the 1st half.

But I do have legitimate concerns with how McDermott and Daboll manage a lead.

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Okay, well that's incorrect on the whole, then.

The Bills are one of the top 5 teams in the NFL in terms of pass % in the 1st half.

But I do have legitimate concerns with how McDermott and Daboll manage a lead.

I’m all for being a pass happy offense. Our 3rd quarters have been an issue which seems to be where teams get back in the game (I haven’t verified this though).

Im hoping the return of Singletary helps the offense keep their foot on the gas

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bangarang said:

I’m all for being a pass happy offense. Our 3rd quarters have been an issue which seems to be where teams get back in the game (I haven’t verified this though).

Im hoping the return of Singletary helps the offense keep their foot on the gas

I think our 3rd qtr adjustments as a whole are not where they need to be. Daboll has to think one move ahead, what plays have we had success running, what might they do to counter that, and then what should we do if they make those adjustments? Instead we generally get stuffed right off the bat and end up punting or creating a turnover.

I think Daboll may want to consider having some scripted plays for the 2nd half and run an up-tempo series to see if he can get them out of the gate firing on all cylinders. Allen and this team seem to respond best when in that 2-minute drill mode and they don't over-think things. Just some ideas

This seems like deja vu to me as  I used to get frustrated with Marv's teams too because they were notorious for coming out of halftime flat and giving up points. I used to wonder "what kind of pep-talk are you giving them Marv?".

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I can live with 3rd Quarter Josh if I also get 4th Quarter Josh.

....but...but NO 300 yd passing games yet.......could be blasphemy on the horizon.......in the meantime, guess we'll reluctantly settle on 4 W's........

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Impressive.  Especially being 9th highest in adjusted completion percentage.