Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

19 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Did you even read what he said?

The back and forth discussion of milking the clock?

I don't know how many pages back that discussion goes, but that's what I saw in the 7 or 8 back and forth posts between you guys.

Whatever I might have been wrong on as far as the discussion between the two of you goes, I do believe in general that a Sean McDermott coached football team will never be a team that averages 30+ points because of his approach to the game, which I do believe involves protecting a lead once you have it, which involves milking the clock more with more running and short, safe passes, which results in fewer explosive plays and less points.

I'm not a fan of that approach. But I do think that's been McDermott's approach as a Head Coach.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes.

3rd quarter is absolutely the problem.

I saw Allen's numbers in the 3rd quarter in an article I think in The Athletic recently and they are utterly atrocious. On the flip side, his numbers in just the other 3 quarters are really impressive.

I don't know what's going on at the half, but it needs to be fixed.

Its a sign that killer instinct isn't close to being there yet. I remember Allen saying in a presser to the question of the after half slump that 'we need to come out with more juice'.

I found that concerning.

8 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I don't know how many pages back that discussion goes, but that's what I saw in the 7 or 8 back and forth posts between you guys.

Whatever I might have been wrong on as far as the discussion between the two of you goes, I do believe in general that a Sean McDermott coached football team will never be a team that averages 30+ points because of his approach to the game, which I do believe involves protecting a lead once you have it, which involves milking the clock more with more running and short, safe passes, which results in fewer explosive plays and less points.

I'm not a fan of that approach. But I do think that's been McDermott's approach as a Head Coach.

It was 1-2 pages back and this is what started it.

Is it not a legitimate point? Do you not have a problem with how many times Allen turns the ball over or the fact that we are 26th in the league in points scored at 18 per game?

Coaching philosophies dictate that to a large degree.  Slower, methodical, offenses score fewer points while giving defenses more time to rest.  Pass happy, explosive offenses have their defenses on the field a hullava lot more.  Of course, I've always been a disciple of defense.  I enjoy 21-17 pt games more than I do 45-38 type games.

Maybe I didn’t understand him but he originally made it sound like many teams set out to score fewer points based on coaching philosophy. That’s what I disagree with. I don’t think any HC sets out to be one of the worst scoring teams in the league and hope to hang onto whatever small lead they get. Obviously there is a time and place where you’d want to burn clock and protect a lead.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/29/2019 at 3:58 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

Agree.

Today more than any other NFL game he looked just lost and rattled.

Yet, we lost by only 6 and had a chance to win.

I'll call them growing pains for now, but obviously if we see multiple games this year like that we should all be very concerned.

Hope the helmet to helmet knocked some sense into him.

Yeah it was super weird. Was the game plan to constantly take deep shots? Didn't understand that.

I also didn't understand why we didn't continue the no-huddle that worked so well on the 1st drive in the 2nd half.

Doubtful that was the game plan, with both McDermott and Daboll commenting to the effect of Josh didn't take what the defense was giving him/needs to take what the defense gives him.

14 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I've never understood all the folks who argue that a player is "on pace" for this or that.  NFL performances are almost never linear.  Allen may not throw another INT for 5 games or he may throw 10 more in that time. 

And if he does throw 22 interceptions whether that's good or bad will depend on how many TD's he scores. 

This.  The Bills (until the Giants game last night) were in a 3 way tie for leading the league in TO with 11, after 5 games.

4 of those INTs came in one game, the Pats game.

The "on pace for" thing is a useful measuring stick, but it doesn't do to take it too seriously.

• Like (+1) 1

The thing about 3rd quarters is that it doesn’t seem like we’re doing anything drastically different from quarters 1, 2 and 4. 

It just seems like we’re stuck in the mud.  

A run gets stuffed.  False start.  Short pass.  Incomplete pass.  Put those plays in any order you want.  

Edited by SCBills

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think the "protect the lead" generally conservative type play calling is a philosophy that scores fewer points, don't you?

I don't get the difficulty in understanding this philosophy.  It's there and it's valid.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Spot on my man!  McDermott isn't the only coach with this philosophy and it's intentional.

Edited by Pokebball

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

It was 1-2 pages back and this is what started it.

Maybe I didn’t understand him but he originally made it sound like many teams set out to score fewer points based on coaching philosophy. That’s what I disagree with. I don’t think any HC sets out to be one of the worst scoring teams in the league and hope to hang onto whatever small lead they get. Obviously there is a time and place where you’d want to burn clock and protect a lead.

Okay, well that's incorrect on the whole, then.

The Bills are one of the top 5 teams in the NFL in terms of pass % in the 1st half.

But I do have legitimate concerns with how McDermott and Daboll manage a lead.

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Okay, well that's incorrect on the whole, then.

The Bills are one of the top 5 teams in the NFL in terms of pass % in the 1st half.

But I do have legitimate concerns with how McDermott and Daboll manage a lead.

I’m all for being a pass happy offense. Our 3rd quarters have been an issue which seems to be where teams get back in the game (I haven’t verified this though).

Im hoping the return of Singletary helps the offense keep their foot on the gas

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bangarang said:

I’m all for being a pass happy offense. Our 3rd quarters have been an issue which seems to be where teams get back in the game (I haven’t verified this though).

Im hoping the return of Singletary helps the offense keep their foot on the gas

I think our 3rd qtr adjustments as a whole are not where they need to be. Daboll has to think one move ahead, what plays have we had success running, what might they do to counter that, and then what should we do if they make those adjustments? Instead we generally get stuffed right off the bat and end up punting or creating a turnover.

I think Daboll may want to consider having some scripted plays for the 2nd half and run an up-tempo series to see if he can get them out of the gate firing on all cylinders. Allen and this team seem to respond best when in that 2-minute drill mode and they don't over-think things. Just some ideas

This seems like deja vu to me as  I used to get frustrated with Marv's teams too because they were notorious for coming out of halftime flat and giving up points. I used to wonder "what kind of pep-talk are you giving them Marv?".

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I can live with 3rd Quarter Josh if I also get 4th Quarter Josh.

....but...but NO 300 yd passing games yet.......could be blasphemy on the horizon.......in the meantime, guess we'll reluctantly settle on 4 W's........

• Haha (+1) 2

I don't understand what's going on with Allen's deep ball.

I thought last year he was fairly accurate on his deep passes.

This year he's just awful on them. Always overthrowing his guys.

On the flip side, we've seen significant improvement on all his other passes.

Knox needs to get out of his own head.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Was Kroft ever targeted today? We really need someone to step up at TE. The rookies drop way to often.

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I agree.  In college, that was one his strengths with subpar receivers.  I don't understand, but the coaches need to figure it out.

2 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I agree.  In college, that was one his strengths with subpar receivers.  I don't understand, but the coaches need to figure it out.

I think it's the DBs, because everyone in college looks good deep. Tebow used to light people up like that.  You have to be accurate with it in the NFL because coverage is better. He played in a super weak conference too.

8 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Was Kroft ever targeted today? We really need someone to step up at TE. The rookies drop way to often.

They basically stopped using Sweeney when Knox came back.

• Like (+1) 1