Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

Just now, Buffalo Junction said:

Wind may have contributed. IMO the problem comes from Daboll being slow to adapt his playcalling to exploit new weaknesses in the opposing teams halftime scheme adjustments. He’s not recognizing it. It seems like he doesn’t adapt until he gets feedback from players and some photos... It’s an issue, and I don’t think it improves till Allen is able to correctly change plays at the line. 

Yea, it's been a season long issue, so they don't get the benefit of the doubt for the last two wind games. 

Weird things happen in 3rd quarters too.... it's just all stuck in second gear.  We had a great drive to start the half and then sputter, turn over on downs, in FG range.  Then we have a 50/50 ball... obvious PI... not called... punt. 

Bottom Line, they just need to be better.  We can't play 3 quarters of football every week and expect to continue this run.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

That was an incredibly  bad miss by refs Brown jumped up for ball to catch it but was being pulled down by his feet. That obviously hindered Browns ability to catch the ball which the rule states. Even live it was obvious to me. That should have been challenged and the Knox spot should have been challenged.  No clue why the hell we didnt. Both had clear video evidence. Seems like only time we do challenge is when video isnt clear enough

I agree on the Knox play, clear evidence he was short and the refs spotted it correctly.  No way that one is over turned.  On the PI yes clear evidence there was PI, but as about 100 others have already stated, pretty much none of the challenged PI calls are being overturned.  If I didn't know better I'd suspect collusion on the part of the officials.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yea, it's been a season long issue, so they don't get the benefit of the doubt for the last two wind games. 

Weird things happen in 3rd quarters too.... it's just all stuck in second gear.  We had a great drive to start the half and then sputter, turn over on downs, in FG range.  Then we have a 50/50 ball... obvious PI... not called... punt. 

Bottom Line, they just need to be better.  We can't play 3 quarters of football every week and expect to continue this run.

It’s a concern that weird things happen in the 3rd every game. I’m not sure what’s off, but there’s enough of a track record to start guessing. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

“I can’t believe Daboll tried to get cute with the quick toss and lost 3!!!! Run Gore up the middle 3 times, no way we can’t get 1 yard!!!!!”

- words from a Bills alternate universe. 

Quick toss? That’s the only other option?

16 hours ago, 32ABBA said:

People complain that the Bills haven't blown anyone out, but that is just not how McD approaches the game. He is a "get 2 scores ahead, and go into a shell" guy.

They also don't have a big play guy that might break away while they're playing it safe. This team running up the score against a demoralized defense isn't going to happen, even when they are in control the whole game.

Case in point were the Bengals & Giants games prior to yesterday's game. 

Interesting that in all these games Allen & the offense had to bail out the team by scoring a clinching TD in the Giants game, score a comeback TD against the Bengals and yesterday score a clinching TD late.  So while I get McDermitt's thinking here and it's worked so far, as the schedule gets harder or fortunes turn against the Bills we're going to lose a couple of games where we took our foot off the gas and didn't put the other team away.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

Quick toss? That’s the only other option?

“I can’t believe we are throwing on 2nd and 1 and Allen took a sack/fumbled!!!!! What are you thinking Daboll!!!!!!!”

Armchair Monday morning playcalling. I expect this OL to get a yard in three tries. I expect Frank Gore to find endzone on 1st and goal at the 1. Maybe that’s too much, but I don’t think that’s unreasonable, at all.

dabol is kinda garbage.  from the gadget plays that we all see coming that get blown up, to the idiotic gore into the pile failures, it was on full display on Sunday.

singletary is our best player on O, and we all saw it week one, but dabol has been hiding him for gore because he's not a good OC.  

less hero ball by josh is a good thing, but zero wide open stuff is not.  we do lack pass catchers on this team, but in going to the run this game (which overall i approve of) we decided to attempt one single pass to bease (a TD no less) and get away from him completely, and kept hitting the fail button on short yardage over and over again.

he just has zero feel for the game and cannot call plays.

7 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

“I can’t believe we are throwing on 2nd and 1 and Allen took a sack/fumbled!!!!! What are you thinking Daboll!!!!!!!”

Armchair Monday morning playcalling. I expect this OL to get a yard in three tries. I expect Frank Gore to find endzone on 1st and goal at the 1. Maybe that’s too much, but I don’t think that’s unreasonable, at all.

The more people you crowd around the football, the more defenders you’re inviting around the football. 

The more defenders you have around the football, the less space there will be up the middle and the more weight the OLine has to push.

To attempt this once is pretty dumb.

To attempt this multiple times in a game - including three times in a row on the goal line - is INCREDIBLY F’N STUPID.

Crazy concept - if you desperately want to hand off to your RB up the gut, then spread out the formation with four wideouts. Take the snap from shotgun.

Common sense GUARANTEES that there will be more space for your RB to get a yard with less humanity in front of him.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

It’s a concern that weird things happen in the 3rd every game. I’m not sure what’s off, but there’s enough of a track record to start guessing. 

A couple interesting notes:

Allen has now played 8 3rd quarters this season. He has 291 passing yards in those 8 quarters. Some folks around here are clamoring for a 300 yard game, well that's 2 games worth of time and still not 300 yards!

We've passed the ball 146 times in the first half and only 97 times in the second half. Maybe some data to back up the taking our foot off the gas arguments? If you include Allen's rush attempts he's had 200 attempts for 1094 yards in the first half and 125 attempts for 688 yards in the second half. 75 fewer attempts in the second half seems like a lot...

• Like (+1) 1

Gore looked his age yesterday. That didn't help on those interior runs. 

There are no easy answers to the 3rd quarter lulls, so I'll blame it on playcalling and execution. 

If we're whining about playcalling, where are the explosive Allen runs? He hasn't broke a 20+ yarder all season. 

There's no use calling his number if he'll get you 4 yards and a cloud of dust.  

Edited by TheElectricCompany

15 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The more people you crowd around the football, the more defenders you’re inviting around the football. 

The more defenders you have around the football, the less space there will be up the middle and the more weight the OLine has to push.

To attempt this once is pretty dumb.

To attempt this multiple times in a game - including three times in a row on the goal line - is INCREDIBLY F’N STUPID.

Crazy concept - if you desperately want to hand off to your RB up the gut, then spread out the formation with four wideouts. Take the snap from shotgun.

Common sense GUARANTEES that there will be more space for your RB to get a yard with less humanity in front of him.

Wow, this is arguing a goal line offensive formation shouldn’t exist. Gonna need more data than common sense.

Because common sense suggests handing it off to your RB 2-3 yards back in shotgun turns a 1 yard run into a 4 yard run.

14 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Wow, this is arguing a goal line offensive formation shouldn’t exist. Gonna need more data than common sense.

Because common sense suggests handing it off to your RB 2-3 yards back in shotgun turns a 1 yard run into a 4 yard run.

Common sense also says that when trying to get from point A to point B, the fewer 300 lb masses between those two points the better, no?

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Common sense also says that when trying to get from point A to point B, the fewer 300 lb masses between those two points the better, no?

That was the post I was responding to. I get the sentiment.

If we have the numbers, that runs out of the spread on the goalline are more effective than runs from the goalline O, I’d concede.  

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Judging by postgame pressers, the players and coaches on this team agree with you

Who here has claimed that they ARE a finished product?

And what would you expect just about ANY team's players to say..."yeah, we're all good. We got a cherry on top"?

Edited by 32ABBA

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

A couple interesting notes:

Allen has now played 8 3rd quarters this season. He has 291 passing yards in those 8 quarters. Some folks around here are clamoring for a 300 yard game, well that's 2 games worth of time and still not 300 yards!

We've passed the ball 146 times in the first half and only 97 times in the second half. Maybe some data to back up the taking our foot off the gas arguments? If you include Allen's rush attempts he's had 200 attempts for 1094 yards in the first half and 125 attempts for 688 yards in the second half. 75 fewer attempts in the second half seems like a lot...

I’d be curious to see the pass to run ratios for each quarter and the defensive averages by quarter. 

As for 300 yard games... I’m not overly concerned about that. I’d much rather see Allen consistently put up 225-250 yards with a 2:1 TD/INT ratio, especially if he’s adding another 35-50 yards on the ground and the occasional rushing TD. I’m pretty sure a fair amount of folks here will find a way to belittle a 300 yard game even if it on loves Allen beating Mahomes in a shootout. ?

1 hour ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Gore looked his age yesterday. That didn't help on those interior runs. 

There are no easy answers to the 3rd quarter lulls, so I'll blame it on playcalling and execution. 

If we're whining about playcalling, where are the explosive Allen runs? He hasn't broke a 20+ yarder all season. 

There's no use calling his number if he'll get you 4 yards and a cloud of dust.  

Calling the occasional run is worthwhile to keep the RPOs believable. Same with the jet sweeps. Now, calling so many of these is an issue. 

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

If they converted any of their short yardage opportunities today, they would have scored in the 30's.

And the short yardage problems weren't on the QB either.

You realize my post was from a month ago? ..and it talks about doing it consistently which means they keep doing it and not just against Washington....and also "if" then they would have is not a great argument. 

2 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

For most teams 2nd&1 is a gift to take a shot downfield.  The play call was just fine.  Don’t anyone blame Daboll for that.  There is definitely some blame to go around regarding execution on a number of plays.  We won’t always get to play teams like Washington where we can get away with it.